Do dream characters exist beyond the dream? I asked one.

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
HAGART

Do dream characters exist beyond the dream? I asked one.

Postby HAGART » 24 Jun 2013 21:18

I met a person in my dream last night and it was a friend I use to have several years ago in college, but we parted ways. I had a pleasant talk, some of it confusing and others enlightening, but personal stuff that I don't need to explain.

(I don't remember the exact words, but this is essentially what was said in more or less words:)
I ran out of things to talk about and I looked him straight in the face and asked, "You know this is a dream right?" He said yes. I asked, "Do you exist?" He said, yes, I exist in your head. (It made perfect sense to me at the time. I can see him, hear him, if I wanted to I could have touched him. He exists in all the ways we define existence in reality.) Then I asked, when you leave here, and I continue with the dream elsewhere, or if I wake up, do you still exist? He didn't answer and he turned and left around a corner, but I followed to keep my eye on him. Although viewing him from behind I felt like he had morphed and upon closer inspection, I was right. He was now a different person altogether. I yelled at him, "Do you remember who you are!" I tried to jar his memory, but it was too late. He was gone, and a new body took his place, without 'him' inside.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DreamChaser

Re: Do dream characters exist beyond the dream? I asked one.

Postby DreamChaser » 25 Jun 2013 11:42

Wow! That's actually really interesting!

I've had characters who I have made up in real life when I'm creating characters for my work (Animating video games) where I am required to give them back stories and history, actually appear in my dreams as if they were human and after talking with them, would seem as if they would return to whatever job or event that I had created for them when I would leave them.

If they appear in another one of my dreams though, its as if they have been reset back to when I first talked to them. It may be because I haven't advanced on their story in my head yet, so it just sticks with what I've already created. O:
Reality Check time!

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 26 Jun 2013 01:03

This is sort of where my Reunion with Dream Characters post question came from. I personally hope it's all based on what we believe or what we want to happen with that DC when we meet them again. I still havent had a good enough lucid dream to meet a DC I wanna meet, hang out with, and meet again, myself :| . But when I finally get lucky, I want to meet, then meet again with them remembering me, our experiences with each other and having the same personality they had before.
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

worldenterer

Postby worldenterer » 26 Jun 2013 02:02

No.
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 26 Jun 2013 03:04

Guitar48300 wrote:This is sort of where my Reunion with Dream Characters post question came from. I personally hope it's all based on what we believe or what we want to happen with that DC when we meet them again. I still havent had a good enough lucid dream to meet a DC I wanna meet, hang out with, and meet again, myself :| . But when I finally get lucky, I want to meet, then meet again with them remembering me, our experiences with each other and having the same personality they had before.

This same question has been brought up many times in many ways.
I still haven't met the same dream person twice and have been able to pick up where I left off as if they have a memory of the past dreams. I don't even care what they look like or what form they take. I want to meet the same 'person' again, with the same memories whatever they may appear as. It hasn't happened for me though.

I'm a nay-sayer, and think dream characters only exist in our minds and dreams no matter how vividly they appear. Our minds are miraculous things which I can only begin to understand. (You would think we are born with this, but no, I can spend my whole life getting to know 'myself'.)

Some think they exist. I personally don't think so. But what does it hurt to ask? We should all do that!
But just like my dream tells me, they do exist for all intense and purposes, but only in the dream as long as you perceive them. (makes you think about 'what is existence at all?', but that is a whole new can of worms for not just a topic, but a whole forum for the ages!)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Jun 2013 09:52

It is possible for a DC to exist beyond just one dream and reside as part of ones own subconscious mind, but this is unusual but may happen with characters which writers make up in thier books or those who make animated games .. they think of thier character so much that it starts coming into their dreams and can then also take up like a life of its own too at other times IN THE PERSONS OWN MIND, in the most extreme cases it can even start (their own subconsciousness) talking to them in that character in their daily life (like a halluncination which sounds real to the person who's competely awake). Im not refering to those who get mental disorders here.

So yes it would be possible to that question but very uncommon.

sighs.. I cant even get a reincurring DC into my dreams in which is someone I dont know in real life.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

dkd108

Postby dkd108 » 22 Jul 2013 10:30

I think it would be interesting for a advanced lucid dreamer to tell certain DC's a number to remember, then in a later dream yell that number as loud as you can and see if the DC returns. This could be a great way to identify your DC's. It could be a number, a name, anything that is unique. Someone please attempt this and tell me how it goes im SUPER interested.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 28 Jul 2013 05:04

Look up Hellblazer. Alan Moore once claimed that he saw the real John Constantine. Not some sting look alike or Keanu Reeves, but the actual guy.

NOCOOKIEFORYOU

Postby NOCOOKIEFORYOU » 31 Jul 2013 11:15

Wow I wish I can become lucid and just talk with a dc for once. But alas I can't become lucid. Idk why. After trying for like 3 months I just gave up. Many I should start trying again ;)
Tell me and I'll forget.show me and I may not remember.involve me and I'll understand
-native American proverb

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Jul 2013 16:18

Maybe you should stop denying people their well earned cookies! :lol:

Return to “Dream Characters”