dream in black & white

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
soushtina

dream in black & white

Postby soushtina » 01 Aug 2013 12:22

How does science know we dream in black & white? I have offent read and heard that we dream in black & white but its never explained how we know. I'm not a 100% but I'm sure I've seen colour in my dreams How does science know everyone dreams in black & white?
Last edited by soushtina on 07 Aug 2013 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Highlander

Re: dream in black & white

Postby Highlander » 01 Aug 2013 14:37

Yes. It's something i asked myself too. In one lucid dream i remembered this fact and i started to pay attention to the colors. I said in the dream:
-"How come they say we dream in black and white? I'm seeing this car passing through. It's red. And the t-shirt of that guy? It's green."

I read somewhere some of the answers that made sense to me:
-people can say that they dream in black and white because they can't remember the colors in their dreams
-mostly people from the 1st half of the 1900's really dreamt in black and white because of the cinema and tv. Cinema and tv has always been a media that triggered our imaginations and our dreams. Because people saw black and white movies, they dreamt this way.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Aug 2013 16:16

Highlander wrote:-mostly people from the 1st half of the 1900's really dreamt in black and white because of the cinema and tv. Cinema and tv has always been a media that triggered our imaginations and our dreams. Because people saw black and white movies, they dreamt this way.

That's interesting. And I think there is some truth in that.
Sometimes when I recall a dream I will say things like, 'it was pixelated', or things appeared 'superimposed' over a green-screen, or even some things look not quite real but I view them as CGI or computer generated images. Some people even compare their lucid dreams to a video game they played repeatedly during the day. (Tetris Effect).

I think sitting in front of the "boob-tube" all day affects my dreams and maybe I should get out more!

An example of the CGI affect is that one time I made a vulcano erupt in my lucid dream. But I have never seen one in real life, and yet, I know what the experience should look like because I've seen it on TV. When it happened it looked 'fake'. The best lucid dreams are true to life and what you have ACTUALLY experienced, not the imaginary stuff we see on TV.

Infact, when we get enthralled in a TV show or movie and get mesmerized by it, don't we all enter a dream-state-of-mind? Then it persists and influences our dreams.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 01 Aug 2013 20:14

It shows you again, dreaming comes in all shapes and colours. I have not had a black and white dream for years. Last night when I returned after having had a robust and fun dance I found the hall was by now crowded, but my chair the only one with a deep red cushion was empty and waiting for me. I was not lucid, a clear dream, and red is supposed to remind me that I am dreaming.(It did not) Driving, flying, swimming, walking etc. is all in colour. But that is me, and I could not give you any tips why I dream in colours. :)

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 01 Aug 2013 21:42

It's only happened to me a few times. Many dreams I had lucid or otherwise have often been in color. I don't even have the famous "Brown colored" Dreams associated with astral projection.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 01 Aug 2013 22:30

In a dream i had a few months ago, i remember looking at the scenary (sky, buildings, streets, etc) and it was all light blue and white. This, i don't know why.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Aug 2013 22:51

Come to think of it, I once had a lucid dream that became Two Dimensional and flat like a cartoon or video game. Although things appeared to be in the distance it was only because of perspective drawing and it was like viewing a flat screen and not 3D. IT was weird, and only happened once.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Off-Topic”