number countdown question

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jacob46719

number countdown question

Postby Jacob46719 » 02 Aug 2013 15:09

(100...i'm dreaming...99 i'm dreaming...etc.) What state should I be in when I reach 0?
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

HAGART

Re: number countdown question

Postby HAGART » 02 Aug 2013 18:57

I've heard of this technique and tried it with no success. I usually get bored and start thinking about other things. I think the idea is that you never actually reach 0 and enter a dream before that. If you reach 0 and are still awake, then it didn't work and was not meant to be. Reaching Zero should not be the goal. Falling asleep should be the ultimate goal and the technique is simply a way to occupy your mind with rational, waking conscious thought as the subconscious mind drifts into sleep. Hence, conscious dreaming which is another name for lucid dreaming.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 02 Aug 2013 19:32

HAGART wrote:I've heard of this technique and tried it with no success. I usually get bored and start thinking about other things. I think the idea is that you never actually reach 0 and enter a dream before that. If you reach 0 and are still awake, then it didn't work and was not meant to be. Reaching Zero should not be the goal. Falling asleep should be the ultimate goal and the technique is simply a way to occupy your mind with rational, waking conscious thought as the subconscious mind drifts into sleep. Hence, conscious dreaming which is another name for lucid dreaming.

heh, well, I counted up from 1, and I still wasn't dreaming by the time I reached 200.

Which is what I expected, really. No matter how much I relax, when I do a WILD, I get to the point where I begin to see faint 3D hypnagogia, my arms/hands feel like they are no longer solid(they feel like they are "fluctuating"), and...nothing ever happens from there.
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Aug 2013 19:41

Whenever I try a lucid dream technique I always get frustrated and I know what you're going through.

Then other days, out of nowhere, I become spontaneously lucid in a dream and don't know why or how it happened.
It's still a mystery to me and I am in no position to give advice, but I know what it feels like to try and fail. Then you wonder, 'what did I do wrong?'. Perhaps you did nothing wrong at all and it was simply not meant to be and even experienced lucid dreamers don't do it on command every night.

Being in the right mood or frame of mind tends to be the biggest factor and you can't force it. (lucid dreaming is still a conundrum to me.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Aug 2013 01:07

I thought I posted a reply but cant see it.

I have tried this a lot and it has three results, either I go to sleep by the time I get to around 80 or 70, I am seeing HI at 80 or 70 and about to enter a lucid dream or I am at 0 and annoyed.

I can work but it supporting a WILD and they are very hit and miss, try counting 99-I will become aware in my dream, 98-I will..... and so on. There is a chance that you will drift to sleep quickly and become aware that you are dreaming. The main value and all we are ever trying to do with all techniques (IMO) is to stay awake while going to sleep so this counting gives us a light focus while we wait for this to happen and starts the process of looking inside by disconnecting us from out senses. I try to keep my eye lids shut but roll my eyes up so I am looking at the darkness and know when I am starting to go to sleep by what I am seeing.
I dont have better words to describe the change from external to internal sensory input but in time I am sure you will know and understand the change.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”