Time Dilation

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
AceOfSpades

Time Dilation

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Jul 2013 13:42

Whenever I had a lucid dream. It often lasts from a few hours to a half a day in the dream world. But when I wake up only the standard sleeping hours have passed. Had anyone else ever had this effect?

SnorlaxDreamer

Re: Time Dilation

Postby SnorlaxDreamer » 22 Jul 2013 14:10

I'm not a neurolog, but study physics and mathematics. I believe I know what causes the time dilation though.

In your waking dream, time passes in the normal rate we percieve it in. This is due to the neural connections that create our long time, and short time memory. Normally, our day is stored as long-time memory until it eventually fades. You will most likely today know pretty clearly what you have been doing all the day. This is not the case of dreaming. A good way to explain it is using the example of getting too much alcohol to drink ie. a blackout. The blackout is caused because the coincious mind no longer percieve reality with a long-time memory due to the neural connections of long-time memory shutting down. When you blackout, you do not remember time which has passed as well as what you have been doing. This is because when you percieve with short-term memory, it almost instantly is forgotten so you do not remember that time has passed or that you have done something.

This is almost the same thing with dreams. When a brain goes to sleep, the coincious mind which percieves reality and time, shuts down. The subcoincious goes into work instead, and therefore we can't remember the time that has passed. This is because like a blackout, our brain does not percieve time, leaving us unable to know if five minutes could have been an hour - or an hour being five minutes. We do not experience our dreams with our coincious mind, which is why this "time dilation" is caused.

I hope this helps you. I'm willing to explain once more, if you did not.

For my own experience: Yes. I have experienced it, mostly when I was sick. It is quite normal.
"If I only could see you in my dreams, I would sleep all the time!" <3

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Jul 2013 14:23

That helps an awful lot, thank you. It's so strange though.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 22 Jul 2013 22:54

I have also experienced this, it's quite unsettling sometimes, particular if a lengthy dream plays out in the 3 minutes between snooze alarms :P
Dreaming is my drug

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 27 Jul 2013 00:54

Another thing that explains this is the fact that you remember more of your dream than you would in waking life. You have more "snapshots", as it were, than in waking life. This causes the illusion that dreams last longer, simply because the memories are scrunched up.

SnorlaxDreamer

Postby SnorlaxDreamer » 06 Aug 2013 23:05

AceOfSpades wrote:That helps an awful lot, thank you. It's so strange though.

It is indeed. But that's how the brain works, when coinciousness is shut down. If you had a life before this now, and it was set at the start of the universe and you died - followed up by you waking up in this life. I bet it would only have felt like a short amount of time, even though it was 13.7 billion years.

You got to love the mysteries the brain might house ;-)
"If I only could see you in my dreams, I would sleep all the time!" <3

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 08 Aug 2013 02:16

My first LD ever involved me exploring an entire world that had a whole different culture and language. It was incredible, it was like a mirror image of our world, yet twisted. But the dream felt like I was in it for about 2 years. I almost miss the people (dream characters) I met in that world ....
Well said.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 09 Aug 2013 04:59

AceOfSpades wrote:Whenever I had a lucid dream. It often lasts from a few hours to a half a day in the dream world. But when I wake up only the standard sleeping hours have passed. Had anyone else ever had this effect?

Oh how I hope to experince this. So far only one lucid dream seemed to last for hours. the rest last maybe 1 minute or I start to wake up when something I try doesn't work. I'm hoping by becoming lucid more often I can increase the amount of dream time I can stay in the dream world.

deschainXIX wrote:My first LD ever involved me exploring an entire world that had a whole different culture and language. It was incredible, it was like a mirror image of our world, yet twisted. But the dream felt like I was in it for about 2 years. I almost miss the people (dream characters) I met in that world ....

Wow. I'm jealous :lol:
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

Return to “Dream Science”