Does the afterlife exist at all? Debate that here.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
erichsa

Re: Does the afterlife exist at all? Debate that here.

Postby erichsa » 27 Jul 2013 21:05

This is a very serious question. I think it would be such a waste to have this short life. Yes in this physical body, but I go with William Buhlman, I like to believe in a multidimensional universe, and a lot of research is taking place in this direction by prominent scientists which is available if you look for it. As a dreamer you can or do amazing things nonphysical, have you thought about a nonphysical brain? I don't want to say you must believe my view, but perhaps being curious, and not close your mind could be the beginning to have a questioning attitude about everything. To all of us. Great Dreams :)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Jul 2013 22:56

The many-worlds interpretation isn't the only candidate in quantum theory. And even if there are multiple universes, it does not mean that there is an afterlife. Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku holds that such universes, if existent, have long decohered from our own since the Big Bang to form different histories.

Also, the multiverse itself would be a big waste, and indeed, this this big waste could be the case. You would also have to conceive of universes that never developed life because their cosmological constants did not allow it to happen. Waste happens in nature indeed! You only have to look at our own universe: the deadly vastness of space, the burning stars forming galaxies that rapidly drift away from one another as the universe expands, our turbulent Earth that kills so many of us, our barren moon in the sky etc.

Lucid dreaming and OOBEs are products of brain electrochemistry. It is the elements of this universe that eventuate such illusions. You don't really travel to parallel worlds as much as we fancy the idea. I know many of us fancy "Quantum Leap" or "Sliders" but these programs only serve to entertain and excite the imagination.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 28 Jul 2013 05:00

Just because it's a waste doesn't mean it can't exist.

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 28 Jul 2013 14:09

Summerlander why don't you allow others to have our view, but no you carry on attacking any view which you think is wrong. You may, and I think you do believe that you are 100% right. " A yes I respect your view, but I differ and that is my reason," would come across much better, and will not straight away awake in some people negativity against your views. Also write in a way that all our readers understand. Have you read any William Buhlman books? I found Adventures beyond the Body very thought provoking. :)

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 28 Jul 2013 20:11

Yeah, I don't think this needless hostility is a good thing. The same thing happened in another thread, and it got locked because of that.

You can express your beliefs and thoughts, and explain why you have them. But try to be a bit more respectful.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Aug 2013 20:19

I don't think telling someone they're wrong is offensive or constitutes hostility. I think that's how people grow intellectually if they are challenged about what they think they know and gets them to question how they have come to "know" something. If someone says they are certain about an afterlife then they should justify such position with something of substance. Like someone said once: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It's all about epistemology. ;)

While in Bognor Regis I went to the beach and looked at myriad pebbles of different shapes, sizes, colours, and forms. I picked up a little pebble and imagined that it was our universe. I also imagined that the properties of the pebble represented the requirements for a universe that is just like ours, with the same laws of physics and capable of generating life. To find another exactly like it meant finding another universe sustaining life. If it differed even in the slightest it could not support life. I was looking at a sea of lifeless worlds, a vast multiversal waste. I couldn't find another pebble exactly like the one I had picked up which represented my home universe. :shock:

Needless to say, I didn't look everywhere and perhaps there are replicas out there somewhere that I missed. But I did realise two things: the first is that I was getting an empyrean, subliminal feeling inside; the second, that there was no room for God, afterlife and other such religious ideas. I'm a godless artist who appreciates nature, who is capable of profound spiritual states of mind (purely in the electrochemical sense), and has a respect for science. I treasure my imagination. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 08 Aug 2013 17:18

If you believe in astral projection, you have to believe in at least some sort of after life.
Well said.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 08 Aug 2013 19:11

deschainXIX wrote:If you believe in astral projection, you have to believe in at least some sort of after life.

Wrong
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 08 Aug 2013 19:36

WildCat23 wrote:
deschainXIX wrote:If you believe in astral projection, you have to believe in at least some sort of after life.

Wrong

Okay, well don't just say "wrong."

Explain, so that I can understand.

Make a contribution to the argument rather than just saying that, man.
Well said.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 08 Aug 2013 20:41

He's got a point, if you believe in AP, it means you believe there are planes existence you can go if you left your body. The Afterlife is pretty much a plane of existence that keeps you from going back to your phyiscal body.

Return to “Off-Topic”