TILD (Totem Induced Lucid Dreaming)

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
deschainXIX

TILD (Totem Induced Lucid Dreaming)

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Aug 2013 19:40

Last year, I conducted an experiment concerning the possibility of a totem induced lucid dream. I never got very far with it because my academics at the time kept getting in the way. But my idea of the TILD is not the inception version. Here's what you do:

Find a relatively small item that can easily fit in your pocket. It can be anything, it doesn't have to be unique in any way. Keep this item in your pocket, or on your person every single day. At night, lay it on your nightstand. When you wake up, take in to the shower with you and place it next to your towel.
Now, every time you think about your totem, or lucid dreaming, or reality, take your totem out of your pocket and closely examine it. Become familiar with how your totem looks, and (more importantly) how it feels to touch.
The idea is that the totem will carry over into the dream world. It will take a while for it to start appearing in your dreams, you just have to get used to it. So, whenever you analyze your totem, make sure EVERY SINGLE DETAIL is exactly how you remember it. Ask yourself, "Is the color the same?" "Is it the right size?" "Is it the right weight?" "Is it the right texture?" Questions like this.

Not only this, but when you are awake and you put your hands in your pockets and you accidentally feel your totem, it will be a reminder to you to do a reality check.

Really, the totem is just an elaborate and more consistent form of reality check. The hard part is getting the totem to carry over into the dream world for the first time.

My totem was a tiny chess piece, for example. Nothing special or unique.
Well said.

griglick

Re: TILD (Totem Induced Lucid Dreaming)

Postby griglick » 10 Aug 2013 22:34

hmmm i'll try this.............

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Aug 2013 23:00

Let me know how it goes for you.
Well said.

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 01 Sep 2013 03:06

The only problem with this is that most people can't be bothered keeping a totem on them every moment of every day :\

Especially when there are easier ways to lucid dream.

That's just my opinion anyway
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Sep 2013 03:39

Yeah I agree. I'm just curious as to if it would work ... I mean, I think my basic theory was accurate, I just wasn't committed and loyal enough to see it through. As most subjects probably would be.
Well said.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Sep 2013 00:47

I think this sounds like a great idea. I think something like this could work. It isnt too hard to carry a small totem everywhere either. One could even wear it on their body.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 10 Sep 2013 00:52

Or just use something that you ordinarily carry around anyway. Set a the words "ARE YOU DREAMING" into your cell phone screen saver and make your cell phone your totem.
Well said.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”