How can i get past this?????

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
dreamworld777

How can i get past this?????

Postby dreamworld777 » 12 Aug 2013 15:39

So here's the problem....EVERY TIME i become lucid in my dreams,I immediately lose it...it never fails.
Again last night,I was dreaming and found myself noticing that everything looked purplish,the grass,the bushes,trees etc....so I realized that I must be dreaming..I did a reality check,looked at my hand and had 5 and a half fingers (a little stubby one lol) and I said "I'm dreaming and lucid"...and just like that I snapped right out of the dream and woke up.
I can never get past the realization period of being lucid without losing the dream.The longest I have maintained lucidity is just minutes....it's frustrating because there's SOOOOO much that I wanna do if I could just stay with it.
So what should I do or be doing to help this?? I would try the techniques usually suggested like rubbing my hands together etc...but I can't even get to those thoughts before I wake right up.....any suggestions for me? I know this is a common problem but it's been over a year now that I've been trying to lucid dream and I feel like I'm still at the beginning stages and seem to be stuck there.......HELP!!!! :oops:

deschainXIX

Re: How can i get past this?????

Postby deschainXIX » 12 Aug 2013 16:10

Yeah I get this a lot. Here's what I do. As soon as I feel myself losing the dream, I freeze and don't move. Once I wake up in the real world, I don't move, I don't open my eyes, I don't do anything but maintain a steady "sleeping" breathing pattern. If you don't do anything at all, you begin to sink back under.
Keep your mind focused on the dream you were just in. Think about the feel of the place you were in. And keep thinking to yourself, "This is a dream."
Most of the time you will drop back into the same lucid dream ... or at least some form of lucid dream.
As soon as you're in the dream, start anchoring to the dreamscape by rubbing the ground, the walls, etc.
Well said.

tea

Postby tea » 13 Aug 2013 08:23

yeah, as you said: this is a very common problem.
the technique 'deschainXIX' described is called DEILD [Dream Exit Induced Lucid Dream] - just in case you wanna read more about it.

here's what i can tell you:
the most important thing in your situation is: to stay calm and to have a decent stabilization technique.

since i had similar problems when i started, here's what helped me:
although realizing that i'm dreaming is AWESOME, i had to learn to stay calm to make sure to create a solid basis of lucidity. when rubbing my hands together didn't work that well, i soon found a technique that works incredibly well for me: take a close look at a dream-object! even in a more-awake-than-dreaming state i've managed to slip back into the dream by concentrating on something. to me, this is a way more "passive" technique (than rubbing your hands together) but it's much more effective.
there's another thing you can do, which worked for me in my early days: spin around. i guess you've heard of this; you just image yourself spinning around - which should lead to more clearness. problem: you can easily swap dream-scenes (which also can be a good thing) and some people tend to wake up because they close their eyes.

keep on trying - patience is key!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Aug 2013 14:40

That is frustrating. I tend to often get the same issue if Im getting into the LD by WILD, I dont have this issue thou at all if I go into a LD by not doing WILD. So if you are going into your LDs by WILD, maybe try to LD by another method as the methods can really affect how deep/stable you find yourself in the dream when you first realise you are LD.

As the other said, this gives you a chance to learn how to take yourself back into a dream. At times Ive done that several times, taking myself into ones I keep dropping out from. Think of it as a good practice exercise. If you havent tried immediately to relax and go straight back into your LDs, you really should give it a try.

I was dreaming and found myself noticing that everything looked purplish,the grass,the bushes,trees etc....so I realized that I must be dreaming..I did a reality check,looked at my hand and had 5 and a half fingers (a little stubby one lol) and I said "I'm dreaming and lucid"...and just like that I snapped right out of the dream and woke up.

I see a couple of issues with that. 1. Firstly you knew you were dreaming but you still questioned it and did a reality test, doubts and thinking too much when you first realise you are dreaming, can make you loose a dream. If you know things are quite weird, trust you are dreaming and focus hard on the dream itself.

2. With "some" people they can loose the dream if they put focus on their own body including ones hands (thou it isnt the case for all). If everything looked purplish and got your attention, it would of been better to "trust" you were dreaming when you realised you must be and go and pick some of those purple leaves...interact as much as you can with the dream you've found yourself in. This will help then to keep you there better. I suggest to try to focus on all your senses in the dream. What can you here there? What can you smell there? look closely at something there..and feel something which gains your attention in the dream.

3/ You said you said "Im dreaming and lucid" . Did you say that in your dream to yourself out loud? Trying to speak in my dream when Im not deep enough, will usually wake me up. If one is in a dream very shallow and goes to speak in it, the real life lips may unawarely twitch and wake one up. (if you are in a very light LD state and wish to talk to a DC, try telepathy till you are more stable).

Spinning does work for some, in my case it always makes me loose the connection to the dream and causes me to wake up as it disconnects me from whatever Im feeling/seeing in the dream and just a brief disconnection of a second, can have me wake up. The lighter the dream state, the less likely it is for spinning to work (my own belief). Anyway.. you may want to try it a couple of times to work out if your dream states are deep enough to handle a spin to further deepen them.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

dreamworld777

Postby dreamworld777 » 13 Aug 2013 23:37

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions,I will definitely be trying all of these things.I still have so much to learn :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”