Horrible feeling and noise when resuming a dream

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Swift

Horrible feeling and noise when resuming a dream

Postby Swift » 06 Aug 2013 12:29

A few days ago, I woke up in the morning from a non lucid dream, but I didn't move at all. I had opened my eyes for a bit but I was tired so I closed them again. I then went into a sleep paralysis state and I could see my kitchen area, obviously a dream because I was in bed.

When I got deeper in that dream, an extremely loud and horrible ringing noise started and it got to the point where it was so loud that I couldn't ignore it, I had to get up.

I tried this same thing on another morning but I didn't get as far as seeing things in the dream before the horrible ringing noise became unbearable. I tried ignoring it and focusing on things in the dream but it wouldn't go away. Can anyone help?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

AceOfSpades

Re: Horrible feeling and noise when resuming a dream

Postby AceOfSpades » 06 Aug 2013 19:07

The ringing noise is a wake up signal. A contingency your subconscious developed to make sure you didn't sleep forever.

Swift

Postby Swift » 06 Aug 2013 22:37

So there would be no way to stop it? That's pretty cool how it does that, but kind of annoying too :D

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 06 Aug 2013 23:53

Then again so is waking up from a good night sleep.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Aug 2013 01:29

We all get a few weird sounds and noises when in that state. I usually just get a 'muffling of the ears' or a sense of my 'mind vibrating'. Hard to explain, but that's how I describe it.

But every now and then there is a a loud noise that startles me and a I wake up.
It's actually perfectly normal and you may have experienced EXPLODING HEAD SYNDROME. (Sounds worse than what it actually is.) (Look it up to read more.)

It happens to me too sometimes, and it is nothing to worry about.
(Although every account can not be a text-book-example, I think it may be linked to that.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Swift

Postby Swift » 10 Aug 2013 07:20

I just looked it up and from what it sounds like its very similar to what I had. Thanks for the help! I probably won't be trying that again :]

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Aug 2013 15:55

Don't let a few 'bumps in the night' stop you.
But if you feel like taking a break from it for a while because you get nervous before hand, go ahead. It doesn't ALWAYS happen....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 12 Aug 2013 18:12

HAGART wrote:Don't let a few 'bumps in the night' stop you.

that's hard lol
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Aug 2013 15:17

The other week just when falling asleep, I heard a very loud "BANG" just above my head so I wouldnt call it exploding head syndrome (which I have had at least once and that did feel like someting went on inside my head). The loud bang not only startled me (but I didnt loose the dream) but had me trying to work out what on earth had made the nose.. did something hit the house? did something in neighbours house close to me fall over or be dropped on the floor etc. I think I was still partly awake at the time but then from there and the thoughts around the noise immediately went into a scary dream.

ringing is one which can for some can happen when going into an OBE state (humming is another one sometimes heard for that).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”