My attempts to lucid dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
chuckeles

My attempts to lucid dreams

Postby chuckeles » 11 Aug 2013 22:05

Hello, Dreamers

Let me share my journey to lucid dreaming. I have a couple of questions, so this post will probably be a bit long ;), so let's start.

So I firstly discovered lucid dreaming more than a year ago. I didn't have much interest that time, however I thought that it must be cool. I did a couple of reality checks, consisting of quickly observing my surrounding a that was about it. I actually dreamed about lucid dreaming, but did not become lucid. I lost my interest in a week.

Let's get back to present. About 2 weeks ago, my brother mentioned lucid dreaming and I regained my interest. This time though, I actually starting searching over the internet. I spent some time reading about lucidity, when I stumbled upon this cool website. It has tons of information, I was really happy. I spent 2 whole days reading everything. I immediately started my dream journal, reality checks and meditation. I tried WILD, MILD, WBTB and self hypnosis. I haven't have a lucid dream yet.

Currently I am practicing for 17 days. I keep dream journalling and I am able to record at least 1 dream every morning. I do reality checks when I remember, usually about 10 times per day. I try to meditate every day after lunch, as I'm listening to isochronic tones. When I go to bed at night, I always do self hypnosis.

Now here come my questions.

Firstly, I have to ask if I do dream journalling right. I don't keep my dream journal next to my bed, as I can't write in bed when lying. It is not far though. As soon as I wake up and I realize that I am awake, I quickly try to re-run trough my dream, trying to remember as much as I can. However I often forget a lot of details from my dream, or when I had multiple dreams on my mind, I can only recall one. When I feel there's nothing more to remember, I get up and write what I can. Am I doing this right? Is there better way to remember dreams?

Next, the meditation. So when I finish my eating lunch, I sit on my bed and start listenting to isochronic tones. I focus on my breathing, as described in the article. My mind often wanders away, but as soon as I realize, I bring it back. Now here's the thing. After around 8-10 minutes, I usually lose my consciousness. It feels somewhat link dreaming, but I don't dream about anything... I regain consciousness about 25 minutes later. Is that supposed to happen? Or am I simply not focused enough?

Last, I have concerns about self hypnosis. When I go to the bed, I lie down on my back and don't move. As mentioned in the article, I focus on releasing tension from my body. Usually, I have an itch couple of times, so I scratch it, not thinking about it. After relaxing, I follow the stairs down. Now here comes the problem. Maybe a just can't concentrate, but I can't clearly visualize stairs and sometimes my mind brings some ideas and start wandering. I find it quite hard to keep fully focused on descending those stairs. How can I improve that? Ok, so I'm down there, I imagine myself in the water, shouting out phrases like "I can remember my dreams"... However, I still have some awareness of my real body. Sometimes an itch arises... Again, quite difficult to stay focused. Then I step those stairs up and slowly open my eyes. I take a deep breath and fall asleep. Am I doing this right? Can this relaxed state of my body be further used?

Wau :shock:, that's longer that I expected. Thank you if you made it down here. Any advice is welcome, as I don't have any experience yet. Have a nice day (and dreams)!
Do a reality check.

My fist lucid dream will be awesome!

tea

Re: My attempts to lucid dreams

Postby tea » 13 Aug 2013 09:11

hi there! sounds like you're really going for it, nice! :)

first off: as you know it's important to write down your dreams as soon as possible after waking up. the way you described sounds pretty ok to me, i don't think you would have to change anything in your journal-behaviour. but one question: do you write in present tense? that's something VERY important.

now as for the meditation: i think you're on the right way, reaching this kind of relaxed states. many people give up before that because it seems to boring. when you said you "lose your consciousness"; do you mean you fall asleep?

self-hypnosis: yeah, keeping a focused picture is a hard task. i think the way you can improve it is either: keep practising, or: don't. what i mean is: when you picture going down the stairs you should not FORCE to do so. setting dream goals and stuff in your subconscious is great, but i think you're having the potential to WILD here. as i've understood it you could let your mind wander when it's not staying at the stairs and observe what's gonna happen. don't you think that's an idea? as for the intentions: have you tried doing mantras before falling asleep (or when you wake up in the middle of the night)?
and have you tried DEILD before?

in the end, always remember: patience! :)
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

chuckeles

Postby chuckeles » 13 Aug 2013 10:29

Hello! Thank you for the reply.

tea wrote:first off: as you know it's important to write down your dreams as soon as possible after waking up. the way you described sounds pretty ok to me, i don't think you would have to change anything in your journal-behaviour.

Well, I don't think I have any choise other than do what I do, because there's my brother sleeping in the same room as me, and I don't want to wake him up, so I have to go out of my bed. Actually, now I keep my dream journal right next to my bed, and as soon as I'm ready to write dreams, I get up, go to the other room (which is close), close the door behind me, and write. I also saw an article, which said that one should not turn on the lights in the night in order to fall asleep, so now I use just a small battery :) .
This night I actually had a very vivid dream and as soon as I woke up, I remember everything about the dream, every detail. I quickly got up and wrote it into my journal. It is my longest dream so far!

tea wrote:but one question: do you write in present tense? that's something VERY important.

Yes I do, and i sometimes also write what was happening the day before that dream when I find some links (like when I was playing a game before sleep and I dreamed about it, I write it).

tea wrote:now as for the meditation: i think you're on the right way, reaching this kind of relaxed states. many people give up before that because it seems to boring. when you said you "lose your consciousness"; do you mean you fall asleep?

Well, I actually don't know. Maybe it is like quickly falling asleep and then waking up, but I certainly don't realize that. I don't change my sleep posture and I don't remember any ideas which might have come to my mind while asleep. I don't know. I'm gonna keep practicing and see if I get better.

tea wrote:when you picture going down the stairs you should not FORCE to do so. setting dream goals and stuff in your subconscious is great, but i think you're having the potential to WILD here.

Oh, I didn't actually think about this. I'll definitely try it ;) .

tea wrote:have you tried doing mantras before falling asleep (or when you wake up in the middle of the night)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but matra is the sentence you repeat to yourself? If so, then yes. I tend to wake up naturally in the night. So I write my dream and as I'm going back to bed, I repeat one sentence like "I will have a lucid dream" synced with my breathing (I thing it's called B-MILD).

tea wrote:and have you tried DEILD before?

I didn't yet have the opportunity. Every time I wake up from the dream, I move a bit before realizing that I woke up :( .
Do a reality check.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Aug 2013 06:13

Eatting before trying to LD can interfere with possibly having a successful LD so best to probably not be doing the meditation etc right after eatting.

One thing I got from your posts is that you are not allowing your mind to drift, you fight with your mind not to do this. To LD you need to start to allow your mind to drift eg like daydream some but also manage to check in with that drift at times so you dont loose awareness for long. If you dont allow it to drift, it cant start to dream. This is how WILD can happen, just allow your mind to drift but every now and again (you may have to frequency) do as yourself "Are I dreaming?" and have a good observation of whatever is going on around you.

It sounds to me like you've "blanked out" during your meditation isochronic tones. Not necessarily fallen asleep but just gone into such a deep state that you are coming out of it unaware. (low energy can make that happen. When you eat.. you have a lot of your energy going to your stomach for digestion ..so dont eat just before).

However, I still have some awareness of my real body.

You can start to go into a LD while still having awareness on your real body. When I WILD at first I may be experiencing myself being in two places at once eg one time I could feel myself breathing in the LD world while I could still feel my physical body breathing too, it was due to them breathing at different rates that suddenly brought my attention onto my LD body and what suddenly made me aware I'd slipped into the dream. Sometimes I have some of my body senses in the dream eg I may be hearing things in the dream or feeling them while other other of my senses with my physical body still. Its okay.. its just most important you really relax.

Dont give up.. keep trying with just a few changes.

oh your scratching. I myself have found it helpful not to scratch. One time the need to scratch got so unbearable (it was driving me crazy almost) I think that it ended up helping me get away from my physical body state to get away from it. Actually I think it helped me to instantly become aware that I'd slipped into a dream state due to the sudden relief of "oh Im comfortable now" esp if you are loosing complete awareness, that itch may help you keep your awarenses better on what is going on...creating a complete distinction between the two states when you leave one
anyway.. you may want to experiment with ..to scratch or not to scratch.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

chuckeles

Postby chuckeles » 14 Aug 2013 21:06

taniaaust1 wrote:Eatting before trying to LD can interfere with possibly having a successful LD so best to probably not be doing the meditation etc right after eatting.

That's interesting! Thank you for that information, I will now meditate sometime before dinner.

taniaaust1 wrote:One thing I got from your posts is that you are not allowing your mind to drift, you fight with your mind not to do this. To LD you need to start to allow your mind to drift eg like daydream some but also manage to check in with that drift at times so you dont loose awareness for long. If you dont allow it to drift, it cant start to dream. This is how WILD can happen, just allow your mind to drift but every now and again (you may have to frequency) do as yourself "Are I dreaming?" and have a good observation of whatever is going on around you.

OK, so as I understood it, I should try less and allow my mind to go wild, observing it and holding to my consciousness? But this way, I guess, I won't ever get to doing successfull self-hypnosis, will I?

taniaaust1 wrote:oh your scratching. I myself have found it helpful not to scratch. One time the need to scratch got so unbearable (it was driving me crazy almost) I think that it ended up helping me get away from my physical body state to get away from it. Actually I think it helped me to instantly become aware that I'd slipped into a dream state due to the sudden relief of "oh Im comfortable now" esp if you are loosing complete awareness, that itch may help you keep your awarenses better on what is going on...creating a complete distinction between the two states when you leave one
anyway.. you may want to experiment with ..to scratch or not to scratch.

That might be tricky, but I will give it a try. Thanks!
Do a reality check.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Aug 2013 08:29

chuckeles wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:One thing I got from your posts is that you are not allowing your mind to drift, you fight with your mind not to do this. To LD you need to start to allow your mind to drift eg like daydream some but also manage to check in with that drift at times so you dont loose awareness for long. If you dont allow it to drift, it cant start to dream. This is how WILD can happen, just allow your mind to drift but every now and again (you may have to frequency) do as yourself "Are I dreaming?" and have a good observation of whatever is going on around you.

OK, so as I understood it, I should try less and allow my mind to go wild, observing it and holding to my consciousness? But this way, I guess, I won't ever get to doing successfull self-hypnosis, will I?

What's your goal? to hypnotise yourself or to LD?

A LD is a combination of the subconsciousness and the waking consciousness, without letting your subconciousness come in too, its just visualisation you are doing.

Currently I am practicing for 17 days.

Ive read that most will have a LD within 21 days if doing a good technique, so if it's taking that long and nothing is happening, it often means you are needing to change something or do more then currently is being done.

chuckeles

Postby chuckeles » 15 Aug 2013 10:02

taniaaust1 wrote:What's your goal? to hypnotise yourself or to LD?

LD definitely! :)

taniaaust1 wrote:...you are needing to change something or do more then currently is being done.

And what would you suggest? Maybe change self-hypnosis for something else?
Do a reality check.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Aug 2013 13:30

I tried WILD, MILD, WBTB and self hypnosis. I haven't have a lucid dream yet

Oh sorry, I missed that you had tried all that before. I do suggest to trial methods like those above for a few weeks before deciding if each is you or not.

GalaxyWanderer

Postby GalaxyWanderer » 16 Aug 2013 22:48

Hello, I am new to the forums and to lucid dreaming in general(started trying 5 days ago), but I have already had 2-4 lucid dream experiences(I am not sure whether to count my 3-part LD as three separate events, which is what it felt like) even with my ADHD. Maybe my ways will work for you too, so let me try to help. First of all, I find that not moving AT ALL is the key to good dream recall. I write in my journal as soon as I wake up while I am still in my bed, since movement is like an eraser for dream memory. Secondly, I have gotten into the habit of waking up at 3-4 AM every morning and then practicing WBTB and MILD lucid dreaming methods. Thirdly, I don't even bother with meditation due to my inability to keep my mind clear for any great length of time, so maybe meditation isn't right for you either. I use my time to study up on LD methods and plan my next dream experiences out. Finally, always keep a positive attitude and don't focus too much on how you "just can't seem to LD," since for me, the placebo effect is very volatile. If you believe you can, you will. If you start thinking you can't, you probably won't. Hope I helped, but if I don't I am sorry.

P.S.: I find that constantly reading about lucid dreaming, paying attention to detail even when awake, and talking to my subconscious like it is a separate entity helps me too.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Aug 2013 23:05

GalaxyWanderer wrote: and talking to my subconscious like it is a separate entity helps me too.

:) That is something I rarely hear brought up but yeah, that can help people too if you do that. If you can make friends with it and talk to it etc, it may help you.

One thing some do, is to look themselves in a mirror when they get up each morning (or before bed each night) and address their mirror image as if it was their subconsciousness eg "hi **smile** thanks for trying to help me LD, can you keep working with me. I'd love to have your help in becoming aware during the night. Could you wake me up in my dreams please" etc. Place out the intent that you want your subconciousness to work with you to achieve your goal.

Return to “For Beginners”