Fear of dreaming

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Whale

Fear of dreaming

Postby Whale » 02 Sep 2011 08:42

My fear of dreaming seems to root from a string of SP attacks. Basically, I would be doing somthing in my dream when all of the sudden my dream body drops limp to the floor unable to move! I would then wake up to reality but with SP, then some how flash back to my dream, were i would try to get up but fall over limp again, then try to get up then fall limp again. I would theb be teleported to a high place in my dream, still unable to move, and be pushed off the high place. While falling i would flash back to reality then to my dream real fast. Then when i hit the ground in my dream, It went back to reality were it felt like I landed in my bed and i was suddenly able to move again. This fear has really messed up my sleep schedule and i would like some help. (Sorry for any mispellings, my laptop is in for repairs and i am using my phone)

Toby

Re: Fear of dreaming

Postby Toby » 24 Sep 2011 08:56

Hello,

sleep paralysis only happened to me years ago. Somewhere I read the following advice. Even in SP one has control of the breathing muscles, so when finding in a state of SP, one should breathe very deeply, because this would be a signal to the brain to wake up. I can't tell, if it works because I didn't have SP for a long time. But if it worked it could give back to you some feeling of control and reduce your fear...

I hope, that's a little help, Toby

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 24 Sep 2011 13:35

What are you afraid of? You are completely safe when you dream and when in SP. So why worry?
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 17 Dec 2011 00:34

Summerlander wrote:What are you afraid of? You are completely safe when you dream and when in SP. So why worry?

Completely false on a number of levels. People are not safe in nightmares- the physical stress of them kills many people in their sleep. SP it's self is a symptom of narcolepsy. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/narcolepsy and

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/narcolepsy

SP is also associated with insomnia. Isolated SP can be triggers by interrupting sleep and those who are trying to lucid dream by by using the wake back technique. I doubt anyone wants to experience the SP experience just to have a lucid dream.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Dec 2011 00:50

LOL! What an erroneous and very ignorant statement. Let me mitigate the effect of that ignorance here...

Actually, the people who died in their sleep were not killed by SP. They already had an underlying health condition. SP is a natural mechanism that prevents people from acting out their dreams so it is there to protect actually.

Fear during conscious SP doesn't kill you either because it is very much associated with the amygdala, which, funnily enough, also plays its role in activating the release of adrenaline...hence the palpitations and the change in bodily temperature. Being conscious in SP may trigger all sorts of responses that will naturally work towards snapping people out of it if they are not actually asleep.

Nightmares nor the stress they cause kill people either. Stephen LaBerge proved that the heartbeat barely goes up. Only people that already have heart conditions can reach abnormal levels, in which case they can take medicine or get other forms of treatment for it. Dreams do not kill anyone and there is no Freddy Krueger either! :lol:

SP is the natural muscle atonia caused by cells at the pons sending inhibitory signals to motor neurons in the spinal cord. I repeat, SP does NOT kill. Once you get past the fear, you really want to have it because it will aid you in entering the phase state (OOBEs and lucid dreams - same thing actually). I purposely induce SP many times just to have WILDs. It saves me from having to play the detective in dreams all the time, and performing reality checks when I can just lucidly enter dreams from wakefulness and SP is a good indication that I am nearing my target.

I repeat: SP does not kill and is not dangerous! :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Dec 2011 09:47

I had a lot of horrid years not understanding what SP was and went from being scared to getting angry at the "demons or hags" that were attacking me. I knew it was not real and that I was awake but had to get some control of it so got angry and wriggled around. ANY movement seemed to dispell SP and that was that.

Now I like SP as it ranges from very strong to almost not perceived and is an indicator the is part of a WILD about to take place. I also suspect that I get SP from within the LD at times and this is a very odd but also powerfull feeling and is the onset of a deeper level of LD. After a lot of years this SP within the dream can still trigger dread and forboding but is like a gateway to a deeper self.

So in short, embrace it and take control - its your SP

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Dec 2011 18:37

Well said! Embrace it and take control. Don't run from it people. I used to get scared too but now it excites me because, as Peter said, it is a good indicator that a WILD is about to take place.

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 22 Dec 2011 11:16

Summerlander wrote:LOL! What an erroneous and very ignorant statement. Let me mitigate the effect of that ignorance here...

Actually, the people who died in their sleep were not killed by SP. They already had an underlying health condition. SP is a natural mechanism that prevents people from acting out their dreams so it is there to protect actually.

Fear during conscious SP doesn't kill you either because it is very much associated with the amygdala, which, funnily enough, also plays its role in activating the release of adrenaline...hence the palpitations and the change in bodily temperature. Being conscious in SP may trigger all sorts of responses that will naturally work towards snapping people out of it if they are not actually asleep.

Nightmares nor the stress they cause kill people either. Stephen LaBerge proved that the heartbeat barely goes up. Only people that already have heart conditions can reach abnormal levels, in which case they can take medicine or get other forms of treatment for it. Dreams do not kill anyone and there is no Freddy Krueger either! :lol:

SP is the natural muscle atonia caused by cells at the pons sending inhibitory signals to motor neurons in the spinal cord. I repeat, SP does NOT kill. Once you get past the fear, you really want to have it because it will aid you in entering the phase state (OOBEs and lucid dreams - same thing actually). I purposely induce SP many times just to have WILDs. It saves me from having to play the detective in dreams all the time, and performing reality checks when I can just lucidly enter dreams from wakefulness and SP is a good indication that I am nearing my target.

I repeat: SP does not kill and is not dangerous! :mrgreen:

Sleep paralysis is not normal. Unlike you I can do WILDs and pretty much at will. If you were an experienced WILDer you would know that the sleep paralysis experience is not normal, what normally happens in a WILD is that one experiences atonia as just a dream image with transition into rem sleep being almost instant. I've also been in fully conscious sleep atonia and in it there is : no paralysis of any kind, only deep muscle relation; no emotion of any kind and no dream images of any kind (as in one is fully conscious). The SP experience is most likely a variant false awakening and yes in false awakenings one does think that one is really awake just as in SP; one can't do a wild from one as one is not awake and all WILDs start with one fully awake. You may be experiencing a spontaneous WILD if the SP happened going into sleep, but as you don't know you're dreaming however “conscious” you are one can't call your dream lucid.

Apart from my own experience which is meaningless to you consider these facts: one dreams the whole time one is sleeping; there is no atonia before rem sleep; people move and act out violently their sleeps in pre-rem sleep (pavor nocturnus/ night terrors) they also act out their dreams in rem sleep (rem sleep behavior disorder); many people also suffer somambulism / sleep walking which most likely happens in all sleep stages, as atonia does not paralyze one in anyway. Considering that people act out their dreams in all sleep stages how can anyone be dumb enough to think they're paralyzed in any of them.

My three year old niece suffers from pavor nocturnus link for anyone who has not seen someone experiencing night terrors and sleep walking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSVwmSzxKtU Link to someone experiencing rem sleep behavior disorder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXYRQ9xPUA&feature=related .

During atonia there are what seem electrical pulses from the base of the brain going down the whole nervous system this is important as the experiencers of SP sometimes experience only partial SP; they experience pressure on the chest (of which there's none in atonia) or pressure on another limb (again which does not exist in atonia) those experiencing the night hag experience can also being strangled or being taken away by the hags yet suddenly returning – knock over the head hint any suddenly ending experience is a dream- an inconsistent suddenly ending experience is the ultimate reality test. Because of these people one has to conclude that all SP are some sort of dream experience.

Now onto MR. Krueger, Stephen Laberge is not an MD, is not a neurologist, has no medical training or experience nor has he studied unexplained sudden deaths and so is completely incompetent to give any advice. Summerlander do you also take medical advice from your barber, an individual equally competent as Laberg to give medical advice or come to medical conclusions! You also use the argument that adrenaline release makes one safe as that's exactly what can kill one (making the assumption that Mr. Krueger is just a nightmare character). Lets get a medical opinion from someone who is a MD, a neurologist and has studied sudden death without known causes- someone who is not a sleep researcher, a barber, a shoe shine boy or other medically incompetent forum posters. Dr. Martin A. Samuels in scientific America http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scared-to-death-heart-attack again http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=2614635&page=1#.TvL539SJcsJ an English study on the subject http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/4/269.full people experiencing pavor nocturnus or SP with the old hag experience really could be killed by Mr. Krueger even without any underlying pathology.

As for the ridiculous idea of a “phase state” out of SP needing to be entered for an out of body experience that developed in the occident- lol! Milam (dream yoga) and phowa (astral projection yoga) have both been practiced by Tantric Buddhists for over 1,000 years and there is no entering of SP in either of them and they're not regarded as the same thing- this represents the collective experience of at least a million practitioner of both phowa and milam during that 1,000 plus years. There is also no astral projection out of SP in traditional Chinese astral projection, don't believe me read the 'Secret of the golden flower' (written in the 12th century with God knows how many millions of practitioners).
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 04 Jan 2012 04:18

Please help Snaggie. First of all, YOU GO THROUGH SP ALMOST EVERY NIGHT! (unless you have a disorder etc.) IT'S NORMAL! One does not dream the whole sleep cycle (unless you have missed REM sleep etc.) that would leave you in a bad condition. NREM sleep is essential for repairing the body etc. Not everyone acts out dreams (SP STOPS IT).

PS: Sorry about grammar and spelling I'm on a iPad.
PPS: I'm usually on the on the iPad!

Sweet dreams,
Last edited by jamjam on 06 Jan 2012 04:03, edited 2 times in total.
jamjam

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Jan 2012 07:56

good advice - jsut ignore SP. treat it as a bully that is full of itself and just dont let it get to you and very quickly it will assist you. Remember this is all about learning and each of us will come to terms with it in our own way so just keep on keeping on and enjoy
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Sleep Disorders”