Dream Classifications

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Goldkoron

Dream Classifications

Postby Goldkoron » 01 Aug 2013 18:46

I've been thinking for awhile that we need a hierarchical system for dreams, here is what I came up with.

Class 1 Dream: A very short 5-10 second dream which has no vividity(pretend this is a word) and usually pops up to repeat something somebody said, or some short event in your mind. These dreams are rarely recalled. Class 1 dreams are not a stable platform for Lucid Dreams.

Class 2 Dream: These dreams can last 10-20 seconds, and usually don't have a very big plot, I would consider them a step up from a Class 1 Dream. I would also classify False Awakenings in Class 2, where you are in bed planning to do something and you get stuck in a dream loop trying to wake up to do that thing. Class 2 Dreams are not a stable platform for Lucid Dreams.

Class 3 Dream: A standard dream with a short story plot, and decent vividity. Class 3 dreams are usually those short nightmare dreams where for example, you're frozen in space, and you have a pretty clear line of sight in front of you as something scary comes at you. Class 3 dreams are not a stable platform for Lucid Dreams.

Class 4 Dream: One of those big dreams that you maybe only have once or twice per week. These ones feel like they last a good hour or so. These dreams are scattered into many dream scenes along a long dream plot, each time you pass a dream scene, it timeskips to the next scene in the dream, making these dreams feel longer. Each dream scene has very good vividness. These dreams can also be one big long dream scene with good vividness. Class 4 dreams are an ideal platform to become lucid in.

Class 5 Dream: These dreams are RARE, these ones maybe only happen once every few months. Class 5 dreams are extremely vivid and may literally last an hour or 2 in real life, inside these dreams, they feel like they can last for months to several years. Each timeskip is flawless in these dreams, and dream scenes in them can be very exciting and vivid. These dreams can also anchor to a single dream scene, which can be so vivid and exciting that you wish it were real when you woke up. Class 5 dreams are a magnificent platform for Lucid dreams, but it is very rare to become lucid in these as they can feel very realistic.

If anybody has any example and facts that should be assigned to a dream class, post here to let me know and i'll edit.
Do a reality check

Jacob46719

Re: Dream Classifications

Postby Jacob46719 » 02 Aug 2013 03:01

Simply genius. Can I use that?
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 02 Aug 2013 03:13

I thought of this before and it's hard to 'pigeon hole' dreams into categories.
The key I believe is how self aware you are in the dream. (Length of time should not be a factor). That changes everything from nonsensical dreams, to vivid ones, to lucid dreaming and even some 'hyper-lucid' dreams when you are EXTREMELY aware of yourself and retain your ego-sense-of-self-identity.

You're right though, there ARE classifications, but perhaps they are more like points on the continuum line of lucidity. There are very many, but can certainly be classified in groups when we think about it.

I don't disagree entirely and we are just bouncing ideas back and forth.
Last edited by HAGART on 02 Aug 2013 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 02 Aug 2013 03:18

Jacob46719 wrote:Simply genius. Can I use that?

My hopes were that this could be stickied and people could refer to their dreams by these classes. So yes, you can use this.
Do a reality check

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 02 Aug 2013 15:04

@Goldkoron: Can you classify all the different identifiable types of hypnagogia?

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 03 Aug 2013 03:01

I would, but I have had zero hypnagogic experiences, i'll have to research it.
Do a reality check

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 19 Aug 2013 07:26

Bump for 200.

tea

Postby tea » 19 Aug 2013 23:39

i like the idea, a lot.
one problem i see here though is that this is pretty subjective. like, how often a certain kind of dream appears and stuff. you know, there are people who haven't ever experienced a class 5 dream - so once every few months may seem like a lot to them.

still, i like the attempt and i'm curious where this will lead. maybe i'm gonna wrap my head around how i would classify dreams and post it here!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 20 Aug 2013 01:13

Class 2a - 10-20 second dream, but with excellent vividity.

amy

Postby amy » 20 Aug 2013 01:53

OH MY GOODNESS! This is amazing!! EVERYBODY should do this on here! LETS DO IT. who's with me?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”