Dream Classifications

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jacob46719

Re: Dream Classifications

Postby Jacob46719 » 20 Aug 2013 02:14

amy wrote:OH MY GOODNESS! This is amazing!! EVERYBODY should do this on here! LETS DO IT. who's with me?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I am!!!!
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Aug 2013 02:15

HAGART wrote:I thought of this before and it's hard to 'pigeon hole' dreams into categories.
The key I believe is how self aware you are in the dream. (Length of time should not be a factor). That changes everything from nonsensical dreams, to vivid ones, to lucid dreaming and even some 'hyper-lucid' dreams when you are EXTREMELY aware of yourself and retain your ego-sense-of-self-identity.

You're right though, there ARE classifications, but perhaps they are more like points on the continuum line of lucidity. There are very many, but can certainly be classified in groups when we think about it.

I don't disagree entirely and we are just bouncing ideas back and forth.

I agree with HAGART is saying about dreams if you are going to classify them, they cant be classified well by length of time. Those classifications described, just dont fit my dreams.

eg My FAs are extremely vivid (like real) and Ive had one last in dream time, like 3 hrs. One time I had a FA which consisted of FAing over and over again for about 3hr dream periods which happened 4-5 times (it may of been more I cant remember now), so that be I experienced over 12hrs of time in my dream.

I quite commonly have the "class 1" dreams. These can be a lot like daydreaming, those ones arent very vivid but they arent like the rest said there but I can also get these too as like an image which can be vivid and it can be a completey random thing which just came in deep out of my subconciousness eg say a spider just appears. The single images which if they arent moving moving ones, yes I agree those arent a platform for LD but short ones which move may well be (thou usually are not).

I dont understand what you mean by class 3 at all about that frozen in space thing (maybe your class 3 is something I dont at all experience?). I dont have short nightmare dreams (when I have a nightmare, its usually vivid and long and probably with a fair chance of becoming lucid during it).

Class 4 is a standard dream to me with often dream skips, I probably have one of those a night. More common thou is the ones which dont have many skips in them or may just have the one skip. I'd merge your class 5 with this.

There is another kind of dream which stands out to me once Ive had. One in which Im reliving days of time or even more time then that. Those dreams make one feel weird as one is in one so much dream time that one can come out of them confused (it can be like one has been away from ones body for years). Ive only had a couple of dreams like this.

Anyway. I wouldnt classify dreams all based on length of time as often that isnt relevant.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jacob46719

Postby Jacob46719 » 20 Aug 2013 04:35

taniaaust1 wrote:
HAGART wrote:I thought of this before and it's hard to 'pigeon hole' dreams into categories.
The key I believe is how self aware you are in the dream. (Length of time should not be a factor). That changes everything from nonsensical dreams, to vivid ones, to lucid dreaming and even some 'hyper-lucid' dreams when you are EXTREMELY aware of yourself and retain your ego-sense-of-self-identity.

You're right though, there ARE classifications, but perhaps they are more like points on the continuum line of lucidity. There are very many, but can certainly be classified in groups when we think about it.

I don't disagree entirely and we are just bouncing ideas back and forth.

I agree with HAGART is saying about dreams if you are going to classify them, they cant be classified well by length of time. Those classifications described, just dont fit my dreams.

eg My FAs are extremely vivid (like real) and Ive had one last in dream time, like 3 hrs. One time I had a FA which consisted of FAing over and over again for about 3hr dream periods which happened 4-5 times (it may of been more I cant remember now), so that be I experienced over 12hrs of time in my dream.

I quite commonly have the "class 1" dreams. These can be a lot like daydreaming, those ones arent very vivid but they arent like the rest said there but I can also get these too as like an image which can be vivid and it can be a completey random thing which just came in deep out of my subconciousness eg say a spider just appears. The single images which if they arent moving moving ones, yes I agree those arent a platform for LD but short ones which move may well be (thou usually are not).

I dont understand what you mean by class 3 at all about that frozen in space thing (maybe your class 3 is something I dont at all experience?). I dont have short nightmare dreams (when I have a nightmare, its usually vivid and long and probably with a fair chance of becoming lucid during it).

Class 4 is a standard dream to me with often dream skips, I probably have one of those a night. More common thou is the ones which dont have many skips in them or may just have the one skip. I'd merge your class 5 with this.

There is another kind of dream which stands out to me once Ive had. One in which Im reliving days of time or even more time then that. Those dreams make one feel weird as one is in one so much dream time that one can come out of them confused (it can be like one has been away from ones body for years). Ive only had a couple of dreams like this.

Anyway. I wouldn't classify dreams all based on length of time as often that isn't relevant.

What I do is look at how long my last dream was, and match it with the class. If the dream doesn't fully fit the description, I make a new sub class. ex: Class 2a
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

tea

Postby tea » 20 Aug 2013 07:34

amy wrote:OH MY GOODNESS! This is amazing!! EVERYBODY should do this on here! LETS DO IT. who's with me?

what exactly do you mean? listing their view of dream-classification?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Aug 2013 01:05

Jacob46719 wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote: Anyway. I wouldn't classify dreams all based on length of time as often that isn't relevant.

What I do is look at how long my last dream was, and match it with the class. If the dream doesn't fully fit the description, I make a new sub class. ex: Class 2a

The length of a dream if it is a LD one, can depend on the experience of the person doing the LD.

Here's what you'd call a class 2 (all it was was a image, a vivid still small image..surrounded by blackness.. but with no other dream senses there so maybe you wouldnt even call it vivid seeing no other senses at the time, or would you call this dream a class one when it has only one sense? no hearing, no taste, no touch, no feel, only a sight image)

but things like that CAN be used as good LD platforms (this image was a stable one) and I worked at this image and turned it into a good vivid LD with all dream senses in it (it was still short wit only about 5mins full vivid senses and full waking awareness in it. The total time from image to end thou was about 10mins). See my dream at http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13526&p=32238#p32238

Other times I use dream images so vague that there is no colour in them, just like perceptions of light and shade. Those too can be used to bring in a LD with (I focus on the dark patches till things clarify and a form starts).

I think people really do need to be careful what rules they put onto this stuff as when you place thoughts of "one cant do a LD from that" "that's no good", it makes it very unlikely that you will as you form mental blocks to suit your own idea of it all. You can be limiting what may be possible for you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”