Religious Background

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Religious Background

Postby AceOfSpades » 19 Aug 2013 18:38

Ok this one is a sensitive question. This is not meant to start any hate arguments over who's right and who's wrong. However if it does devolve into that, Rebecca if you could please lock it the moment that happens. I just simply want to know religious backgrounds of the others on this forum. The reason for this is I believe that in many subjects on this forum, from Lucid Dreams to paranormal activity, have often had different points of view mainly because of the religious belief of the people that express said point of view and naturally I am just curious to what that is. As I suggested this one i'll start with my own. I am a Pagan/Wiccan and I am also what is known in that religion as a child of nature, or in layman's terms a Natural Witch. Everything I know about said subjects regarding that religion I have learned from my parents which included lucid dreaming and astral projection. Though what I know is only a tiny piece of the mosaic so my knowledge could clash with other pagans.

Re: Religious Background

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Aug 2013 01:15

Wow, you've had an interesting religious upbringing. All the wiccians Ive previously met were not brought up in the religion but "found" it one could say. I wish I had an upbringing such as yourself but Ive had to learn about everything myself, from my own experiences and then based on those- research. Due to that I have awareness of most religions due to my truth for answers based on trying to explain things which have happened to me.

I got raised Christian (Lutheran and church of England) thou (I have two pastors/ministers in my family), that belief system thou never explained my experiences to me from a young age so I couldnt relate to it at all. They couldnt answer the questions I had, so it was just a very superficial thing to me. I can not remember at time in my life thou I got raised in that religion in which it felt right to me (I was forced to attend Sunday school till I was 12 years old). Anyway, so Im the blacksheep of my family, the only one who doesnt believe in their religion.

In my search for explainations of things, one of the things I studied under a guy who ran Wiccian Coven. I studied with him one to one for 8 mths till I was to the traditional point of initiation so had to make a choice but decided thou I do agree with lots of it, it just didnt quite feel right for me to get initiated into that religion (probably in fact any religion, my beliefs come from what feels right within and mostly from my own experiences). (I once messed up big time with Wicca, my first and only spell which did work well it backfired too, I thought I was doing a good thing but I sure wasnt and suffered severe karmic consequences of it. Im quite wary of influencing things now).

Before Wicca I'd checked out the spiritualist churches and had learnt about lots of things from them and experienced more stuff myself throu those eg saw my first spirit come out of a trance channellers head etc. I looked into Shamanism, Buddism etc etc .. in the end I took a Yogi path as its a very individual thing but one I can base on experiences, to me this incorporates the best out of all religions. After just keeping a semi opened mind slightly thou not a christian, I came back to some Christian stuff after experiencing Jesus (Ive experienced him twice). Ive also experienced ie seen Ganesh (s Hindu? God) and also had the great yogi Babaji actually help me one time when I was in trouble (all those things surprised me and werent at all expected). One could also say I follow a Universialism path. or a non traditional Unitarian Universalism path.

Deliberately without an official creed or dogma (per the principle of freedom of thought), many Unitarian Universalists make use of the Principles and Purposes as a definition of what UUs believe. These "Principles and Purposes" are taken from the by-laws which govern the Unitarian Universalist Association. While these were written to govern congregations, not individuals, many UUs use them as guides for living their faith. The "Seven Principles" were created in committee and affirmed democratically by a vote of member congregations at an annual General Assembly (a meeting of delegates from member congregations). Adopted in 1960, the full Principles, Purposes and Sources can be found in the article on the Unitarian Universalist Association. The Principles are as follows:

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.[31]

There is no single unifying belief that all Unitarian Universalists (UUs) hold, aside from complete and responsible freedom of speech, thought, belief, faith, and disposition. Unitarian Universalists believe that each person is free to search for his or her own personal truth on issues, such as the existence, nature, and meaning of life, deities, creation, and afterlife. UUs can come from any religious background, and hold beliefs and adhere to morals from a variety of cultures or religions.

Concepts about deity are diverse among UUs. Some are monotheistic, often from a Judeo-Christian perspective. Some have no belief in any gods (atheism); others believe in many gods (polytheism). Some believe that the question of the existence of any god is most likely unascertainable or unknowable (agnosticism). Some believe that God is a metaphor for a transcendent reality. Some believe in a female god (goddess), an Abrahamic god, or a god identified with nature or the universe (pantheism). Still others may hold with the Deist notion that a creator God exists, but does not intervene in the world or reveal itself, and can only be apprehended (if at all) through the use of reason.

Based on my own experiences I believe in reincarnation (I have many memories of other lives both earth and not earth ones), spirits, demons, energy healing forms, karma etc etc . My beliefs are open to change with any further experiences or learning I have.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Postby Tylanni » 20 Aug 2013 17:18

I am Buddhist.:)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Postby AceOfSpades » 21 Aug 2013 03:19

A Buddhist? I heard of them but I was never very educated on them or the views.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 21 Aug 2013 10:48

I have no background at all. Never saw the need for one.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Postby AceOfSpades » 21 Aug 2013 18:21

Dude everyone has a background, even those that have no religion have a background.

Postby HAGART » 21 Aug 2013 23:27

I consider myself a Michael Scannellist.
(That's my real name)
When you think about it, there are as many religions as there are individuals, and ANY group can be divided and divided again until you are left with a single individual. And we all have our own individual point of view.

So what is Michael Scannellism? Even I don't know and it changes day by day.
I guess Agnostic would be the best way to describe me and my views which effect how I approach lucid dreaming.

And that's what this is about: Getting a better understanding of people and how they approach lucid dreaming and why they answer the way they do. Not a debate.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Aug 2013 01:14

I used to consider myself Agnostic mainly because I believed there was something out there, but unless I saw things for myself I wouldn't believe it fully. I guess I stuck to my Pagan roots mostly out of pride for my family, but also because I have seen signs that it might be true. Not is or isn't, might. I guess to describe me I would be a lapse Wiccan. I believe in it but don't practice it often, unless it was for my own protection or the protection of those I care about.

Postby Howard » 23 Aug 2013 13:55

I wont go into any of my religious background but have come to be of the opinion that ALL 'religions' are perversions of truth. A wise individual such as Jesus, or Buddha, comes and shares his or her truth (which is only a vision of THE TRUTH) and lesser individuals who cannot apprehend that truth, or only faintly, as shadows of true light, devolve that truth into dogmas and rituals which sap the real power and lead unwitting weaklings into bondage.

It is my determination to follow THE TRUTH, which is simply to Love and respect all as I wish to be loved and respected, and to live in freedom. Part of that freedom is the mastery of the dreaming/energy body, which eventually leads to complete, or absolute, freedom.

If you are not familiar with it read The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda.

Postby Teraku » 23 Aug 2013 15:36

I'm an Atheist. An Agnostic Atheist, to be more precise.

I don't believe there is a god, but I would change my mind if one were to show me conclusive evidence.

I don't have anything against religion itself, but I do have a problem with the prejudice that tends to come along with it (Mostly against homosexuals). I also don't approve of how some people want to teach Creationism in schools as if were a proven fact. It's fine to practice and teach your beliefs at home and in church, but I don't feel that it belongs in the classroom. Children should decide for themselves what they believe.

But those people are few and far between, most Theists are nice people.

Return to “Off-Topic”