how do you realize you're dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Creator

how do you realize you're dreaming

Postby Creator » 20 Aug 2013 22:13

obviously to do reality checks, but one thing - i had a dream that i saw a dragon.... why didn't i become lucid?
--

how exactly are you supposed to know "oh yeah, im dreaming" without doing reality checks? example, the things around you... right now, i know that if i can fully control myself and actually think straight in a dream, and saw a dragon i would say "hmm, this must be a dream" but i don't do the thinking, my dream self does.
--

so how would i realize i'm dreaming when i see something abnormal manifest itself?

thanks... :mrgreen:
I will soon be the GOD of lucid dreaming.

deschainXIX

Re: how do you realize you're dreaming

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Aug 2013 23:46

Well, in dreams (including lucid ones) our minds don't run at the same frequency as when we're awake. We think differently. Including logic centers in our brains.
So, what you do is you find recurring themes in your dreams. For example, do you see that dragon in your dreams all the time?
Try to record all of the "dream themes" (people, places, things) that appear frequently in your dreams. These are called "dream signs." Then, simply resolve to reality check whenever you see your dream signs. :) Hope I helped.
Well said.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 20 Aug 2013 23:50

Almost all of my lucid dreams were SILDs, or spontaneous induced lucid dream. I just randomly became lucid during the dreams.
Do a reality check

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 21 Aug 2013 00:59

Goldkoron wrote:Almost all of my lucid dreams were SILDs, or spontaneous induced lucid dream. I just randomly became lucid during the dreams.

Same here. I have a lot of SILDs, however, it's difficult to know whether they were caused by my daily meditation or the B-MILD I always do.
Well said.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Aug 2013 03:11

deschainXIX wrote:Well, in dreams (including lucid ones) our minds don't run at the same frequency as when we're awake. We think differently. Including logic centers in our brains.

That may be the case for you but isnt the case for all.

My mind is just as able to think in a LD normally as it does in waking life. It all depends on just how much waking consciousness is coming into your LDs. There are different levels of them one could say. Say you may be only running at say 50% of your normal waking consciousness coming into your dream while another person who is more experienced, may be up to 100% normal awareness is the dream. This is something which can be worked at by practice eg making your waking mind really work in dreams and practicing not dropping out as you bring more of it into the dream.

It is quite possible to be your normal thinking self in a LD with the same awareness you have in real life.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 21 Aug 2013 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 21 Aug 2013 03:15

Creator wrote:obviously to do reality checks, but one thing - i had a dream that i saw a dragon.... why didn't i become lucid?
--

how exactly are you supposed to know "oh yeah, im dreaming" without doing reality checks? example, the things around you... right now, i know that if i can fully control myself and actually think straight in a dream, and saw a dragon i would say "hmm, this must be a dream" but i don't do the thinking, my dream self does.
--

so how would i realize i'm dreaming when i see something abnormal manifest itself?

thanks... :mrgreen:

You probably didnt become lucid as as you said it was your dream self which saw that dragon rather then your normal waking consciousness. If thou you had had a bit of waking consciousness come into the dream or just been questioning the dream situation, enough to say to yourself "is there anything weird here?".. you may of suddenly become aware that the dragon just isnt normal.

This is why things doing reality checks in real life till they become habital and you start doing them in the dream, can be so important for some (not just like a looking at hands reality check but also taking a good look at what is around you too). You need to try to get your dream self to start questioning stuff by making this a habit in your real life. (there is always a chance it could question and still not realise but there also is a good chance that if it is questioning things in your dreams, that it will realise something is strange and then start having some waking consciousness then come in).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 21 Aug 2013 10:28

I sometimes become lucid without any signs or reality checks. It's the environment. Sometimes it just feels that i'm dreaming. I feel lighter, i don't feel cold, i don't feel hot, i feel calm, the ambient is relaxing, not too much light, not too much darkness, peacefull...

tea

Postby tea » 21 Aug 2013 11:23

after all, i'd recommend you to subscribe here: www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/subscribe.html
it will clear out this, and some other questions that might come up.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Return to “For Beginners”