Alan Worsley: Bizarre Thinking in Lucid Dreams

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
taniaaust1

Re: Alan Worsley: Bizarre Thinking in Lucid Dreams

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Aug 2013 03:20

HAGART wrote:
HAGART wrote:Dreams are all about desires, logic is a whole new agenda and the two are in conflict!

I'm actually going to disagree with myself. Because let's face it, some dreams are built upon fear and angst. Not really a desire that we long for. So I guess what I mean is that dreams are emotional and yet every now and then we become lucid. (Lucid literally means being able to think clearly between periods of confusion).

But the emotional is based on thoughts, whether it is fear or desire or anything else. So Im going to say its the thoughts which created the dream subconscious and conscious. The emotions which happen, further fuel the thoughts.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Aug 2013 03:29

Im sure in most (more then half probably 3 quarters) of my LDs Im 100% myself consciously, I think just like I do in real life about things, I dont have bizarre thinking as Im fully aware of real life and what goes on there.

I did thou get confusion in this mornings LD as the LD split two ways on me so I thought I was both aware of my real physical body in bed as sometimes happens to me (but this time it was a half false awakening) at the same time I had awareness of the dream I was still in in other place and there too. It turned out that my awareness of my real body wasnt truely real. (I was feeling mucus in what Id thought was my real bodies throat which I picked out thinking it was real, didnt catch on that picking mucus out of my throat was bizarre (maybe to cause in real life I have had a rather bizarre mucus experience with a handful of extremely thick, jelly like mucus which came out of my mouth which I'd choked on).
Anyway..due to me mistaking something in the LD and also struggling to maintain the LD at that point, I called that part of my LD rather vague and low level (it happened towards the end of the LD just before I did really wake up) as usually I dont mistake things and get wrong ideas about reality in my LDs. My waking mind is usually clear of what is right between the dream world and the real world.

Due to most of my LDs having crystal clear thinking with no bizarre thoughts, Im going to say that its possible to be thinking exactly how one does in real life in them depending on how much waking concsciousness is coming in. If you are doing bizarre things, it just means your waking consciousness isnt coming fully into the LD and the subconciousness at that point is overriding things more. It is possible to have that perfect balance where you are FULLY aware and also in control of yourself with your dream (subconciousness) manifesting around you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Aug 2013 22:43

The lucid dreamer will always run the risk of losing consciousness by getting too involved in dream plots. It's like Rebecca said. Two conflicting agendas made to converge in a hybrid state of mind. The conscious and the unconscious (or subconscious as some of you might prefer).

Stabilise the lucid dream and you can either explore what's readily available plus subsequent involuntary manifestations, OR, have a plan that you can focus on and carry out. The former is the plan and the latter needs to be interesting as a plan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Luciddreamer007

Postby Luciddreamer007 » 23 Jan 2016 15:18

Your logical thinking is still a bit impaired in LD's as if yu were high on some psychedelic substance.
Last edited by Luciddreamer007 on 23 Jan 2016 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
everything is amplificated in dreams except memory

expect the unexpected

A LD is like being drunk: the morning after you dont remember everything, you get horny and when you hit the ground you dont feel pain

Luciddreamer007

Postby Luciddreamer007 » 23 Jan 2016 15:23

In a LD I wanted to walk outta my house but I heard my mother yelling.

My impaired judgment thought that i was my mother screaming in real life and that my mind had integrated tis yelling into the dream BUT.......................................................
...............................I have earplugs while I sleep

expect the unexpected

A LD is like being drunk: the morning after you dont remember everything, you get horny and when you hit the ground you dont feel pain

Luciddreamer007

Postby Luciddreamer007 » 23 Jan 2016 15:37

lucidinthe sky wrote:[quote
HAGART wrote:I just had an epiphany.

I like some of the lucid dreams where I'm not completely awake, still kind of "under" and the dream is more in control. Don't know how to describe it other than that. I still know I'm dreaming, but the experience is deeper and more insightful.

Yeah I had such a LD like yours in which I was working with the FBI and the military on very exciting missions. Everthing seemed so freaking real that I took my task in this dream more seriously.
We also went to a biig public swimming pool with the military and got kinda drunk there, and ate nice pizza ( dont ask me which type because i cant remember much :)) amazing dream I must say :P :P

But now after a couple of months after this eventful and crazy dreamnight i barely remember shit :(

Another really trippy mindfuck which was mentioned in this thread discussion happens to me, which consist in that those few seconds you awake from a dream Im partially convinced that the dream action is true :shock: :shock:

Then after getting more and more lucid into waking alpha and beta waves im there in "facepalm-mood" :roll: :roll:

expect the unexpected

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jan 2016 20:58

I know what you mean. It's a very peculiar state to be in. As soon as you wake up, you can still find yourself worrying about dream events that you just left!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Luciddreamer007

Postby Luciddreamer007 » 26 Jan 2016 13:07

trippy shit I must say

expect the unexpected

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 15 Feb 2016 18:18

Alan Worsley has just nailed the fact that we are not exactly the waking self in lucid dreams, but rather, something closer to it than the ego that inhabits ordinary dreaming--and certainly something that has a proclivity for dramatic fluctuation. :geek:

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”