Hallucination caused by WILD when awake

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Feylix

Hallucination caused by WILD when awake

Postby Feylix » 09 Aug 2013 12:20

Hey all!

About a week back, I tried to use WILD when I went to sleep at night. I only came as far as I've usually gotten (numbness, strange feeling), but nothing else happened.

I opened my eyes, I was fully awake, able to move, nothing unusual, but I kept seeing black patterns flowing through the room in the form of shades. On the walls, bed, everywhere, even a few that was in the middle of the room on air, almost jumping at me.

I have never had any hallucination before, nor was I sick or anything else, so I found it incredibly fascinating. Not had any sleep paralysis before, so I can't really tell, but it felt like what others have been saying, only they have been unable to move. It lasted for roughly 10 minutes.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Peter

Re: Hallucination caused by WILD when awake

Postby Peter » 10 Aug 2013 06:47

Not for that long but almost every night at least once when I wake up. I call them REM intrusions, the hangover from a dream intruding into normal space. the length of time is way more than mine. Close your eyes and if you keep seeing them it could be a great way to have a WILD
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Aug 2013 01:18

Only once have I experienced this and it was over a year ago. I was awake and knew it and it was NOT a false awakening nor sleep paralysis. (I had those too and know the difference. Those shadowy blobs can become scary if you let them). But this one time I was wide awake, YET, in the center of my vision, I saw a dark blob-shadow, just a circle in the center of vision. So no matter where I looked it was in the center of vision. It was especially more visible when I looked at my white walls and ceiling. It was like a residual after image playing tricks on me. It went away after a few minutes; about as long as it takes any after-image to go away.

By after-image, I mean if you stare at something for 30 seconds or so, and then close your eyes, and you can still see it burned on your retinas. It was kind of like that, but it must come from the mind, because my retinas were never exposed to light when I had them closed in the dream.

This is not EXACTLY the same, but similar. Perhaps mine didn't move around because I was too awake and not in a semi-dream-state.

Thankfully, mine only lasted a minute or two. If it persists for a long time, I can see how that would get annoying. (Pun intended with 'see'.... BAD JOKE! :P )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Aug 2013 15:08

It is possible that you could of entered a dream but so gently that you were unaware you had done so (I do so during a WILD at times with no break or blackness coming into my consciousness at all.. the only way I sometimes know I have done so is due to a scene shift), you may of then be LDing yourself laying on the bed with eyes shut and then of opening your eyes and all the rest. I suggest to do a reality check next time you find yourself like that, you may be surprised. I think many miss having a LD at times due to mistaking a LD for reality still.

It thou also could of been the state between sleep and wake and still in it for a while. As Peter said, it would of been a great time to shut your eyes and keep trying to LD seeing you were kind of between states.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Feylix

Postby Feylix » 13 Aug 2013 17:57

taniaaust1 wrote:It is possible that you could of entered a dream but so gently that you were unaware you had done so (I do so during a WILD at times with no break or blackness coming into my consciousness at all.. the only way I sometimes know I have done so is due to a scene shift), you may of then be LDing yourself laying on the bed with eyes shut and then of opening your eyes and all the rest. I suggest to do a reality check next time you find yourself like that, you may be surprised. I think many miss having a LD at times due to mistaking a LD for reality still.

I did several reality checks, and they proved I was awake. Plus I had that clear feeling I weren't asleep. I guess I may napped a bit, for a few seconds here and there during the WILD-attempt, and that probably caused my mind to keep making images.

And yeah, I probably should have continued my WILD-attempt. But it was extremely fascinating in it's own way. Couldn't miss out on a great show ;)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Aug 2013 01:06

I did several reality checks, and they proved I was awake.

:) doing that should pay off sooner or later.

Feylix wrote:And yeah, I probably should have continued my WILD-attempt. But it was extremely fascinating in it's own way. Couldn't miss out on a great show ;)

:) Yes sometimes its worth stopping to smell the roses one could say (enjoy whatever one is currently experiencing). There is so much fascinating things to explore with all this stuff. I love it when I get halluncinations too and find them very interesting (as I dont often get those, I usually LD without them).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Creator

Postby Creator » 22 Aug 2013 15:07

That happens to me too...... when I stare at a place too long, everything starts modulating...

It feels like your on LSD.....
I will soon be the GOD of lucid dreaming.

FrostyGreenacre

Postby FrostyGreenacre » 22 Aug 2013 20:34

This has happened to me a couple of times after waking up forcefully from nightmares. I often find it difficult to "reset" without going back to sleep, and have on occasion re-entered the nightmare doing so.

It's probably one of the most distracting/disturbing aspects of sleep I've experienced. Not so much for the nightmares, but more for being unable to clear my head. Last time this happened I wondered what would have happened if it were an emergency, such as a fire in my house or something. I'd struggle to function which could be deadly.

That being said, perhaps the adrenaline would just help flush it out and clear my mind. Hopefully I'll just never have to find out.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”