3rd "I must be dreaming!" in one month. ugh.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
amy

3rd "I must be dreaming!" in one month. ugh.

Postby amy » 22 Aug 2013 14:44

Last night I had ANOTHER dream that I was "lucid" this is how it went,

I am in my bed when I completely, out of nowhere, say "this must be a dream!" Then I start thinking of how I should wake up from my lucid dream because I can hear my parents are awake, so I might as well wake my self up before they do.

Then I woke up, my parents were sleeping still, it was 2AM, and that was DEFINATLY not a lucid dream.

I don't get what's going on!D: in all of my dreams like this I never did a reality check. So I know the problem isn't that. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this?!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

deschainXIX

Re: 3rd "I must be dreaming!" in one month. ugh.

Postby deschainXIX » 22 Aug 2013 15:29

You were in a lucid dream if you knew you were dreaming, or even if you had a suspicion. Period.
I have a lot of LD's in which I realize I'm dreaming without RCing. Really, reality checks are just an embodiment of you questioning reality.
I'm not sure what your question is. You never asked one.
Well said.

tea

Postby tea » 22 Aug 2013 17:53

from what i've learned from your previous posts, your problem -again- was that you thought about lucid dreaming but didn't really get it, right?

on the other hand: this time you even thought about waking up, which sounds to me as if you were lucid.

what would you say?

do you think it would have made "click" if you did a reality check? RCs should be done when awake regularly, so that it becomes more likely to ask yourself whether you are dreaming when asleep.
but how would have this been different from what you've experienced? what would have been different if you did a RC?

do you do checks on a regular basis? also: do you categorize your dream signs?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

amy

Postby amy » 22 Aug 2013 19:08

tea wrote:from what i've learned from your previous posts, your problem -again- was that you thought about lucid dreaming but didn't really get it, right?

Exactly! You see, its its so weird, in all of these I am like "oh my gosh! I am lucid dreaming!" But my mind isn't thinking right. Its not logical. Like the whole "my parents are awake in the waking world." Thing. I don't get it! And I don't feel there. Its like a normal dream, all fuzzy and illogical, except I say "I must be dreaming" and it feels the same as if I were to say "the orangutan ate a piece of pie." Hahaha? I'm sorry, I know this is confusing, but that is the best I can explain it.

And about the reality checks, I was just saying that because someone said to me once- "maybe you aren't making your reality checks meaningful enough." So i was just letting you know, that isn't the problem. I do reality checks and categorize my dream signs.

And I guess my question is, how in the world do I have fully lucid dream instead of this weirdness?D:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Aug 2013 19:59

It's that intermediate 'phase state'.
Like a false awakening, but you are still in bed.

I get those quite frequently, and once I know it is not my real bed, I get up and walk away. It is kind of like an OBE because sometimes I look back and actually see a body laying in bed.

But I also get fooled too, and hear things. I usually hear my dog barking and think I need to wake up only to find out he is sound asleep, although it sounded so real. Or I may get up and it is a true false awakening where I am not lucid even though I experience strange events.

So it is on the cusp of a vivid OBE-type lucid dream.
You may also experience some strange sensations when in that state too, like a buzzing, drone sound, or sinking, or floating, or you go completely limp as if your body loses all muscle tension. ( I only speak for myself, but I've heard many report similar sensations).

Don't think of it as a failure, but a learning experience. It takes a while to get use to, and even I get duped, too excited, or even fearful when it happens and catches me off guard.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

tea

Postby tea » 22 Aug 2013 21:17

amy wrote:
tea wrote:from what i've learned from your previous posts, your problem -again- was that you thought about lucid dreaming but didn't really get it, right?

Exactly! You see, its its so weird, in all of these I am like "oh my gosh! I am lucid dreaming!" But my mind isn't thinking right. Its not logical. Like the whole "my parents are awake in the waking world." Thing. I don't get it! And I don't feel there. Its like a normal dream, all fuzzy and illogical, except I say "I must be dreaming" and it feels the same as if I were to say "the orangutan ate a piece of pie." Hahaha? I'm sorry, I know this is confusing, but that is the best I can explain it.

i think you explained it pretty well!

here's a spontaneous idea: do it in real life too. really, do it like a reality check; whenever you think about it, act as you do in those dream-situations. say that you a lucid and so on.
but here's the difference: then, when you let your mind float around this idea, question it. at first you say that this is a dream and you are lucid, after that you don't believe it. then, for clarification, do a reality check.

maybe this can work for you. my guess is that you'll get used to thinking about it twice when you say that you're lucid, resulting in doing a reality check. hopefully this will trigger true lucidity.

i'm sure other people have some better advice for this problem, sorry if this didn't help!

here just two things from my own experience:
i've had this kind of situations too before but they didn't really bother me that much. i mean, when i woke up i was angry for thinking and talking about lucid dreaming, but not realizing it.. but i kept doing what i was doing, reality checks, reading things on the internet, thinking about LD stuff and -before falling asleep- what i wanna do when lucid and so on. somehow i kept those "false-realizations" (my word, i don't know what it's called) at a minimum by not giving them too much value. maybe this works for you too.

the other thing is that although my dream signs are almost never FORM-signs, i still stayed true to the finger-through-palm trick. somehow this still is one of the most effective RCs for me.

what are yours?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

amy

Postby amy » 22 Aug 2013 21:48

tea wrote:
i think you explained it pretty well!

here's a spontaneous idea: do it in real life too. really, do it like a reality check; whenever you think about it, act as you do in those dream-situations. say that you a lucid and so on.
but here's the difference: then, when you let your mind float around this idea, question it. at first you say that this is a dream and you are lucid, after that you don't believe it. then, for clarification, do a reality check.

maybe this can work for you. my guess is that you'll get used to thinking about it twice when you say that you're lucid, resulting in doing a reality check. hopefully this will trigger true lucidity.

This is a GREAT idea!!! Thank you sooo much! I will definitly be trying this.:)

tea wrote:i'm sure other people have some better advice for this problem, sorry if this didn't help!

No!! This was so helpful, you have been great! Thank you, tea!

tea wrote:the other thing is that although my dream signs are almost never FORM-signs, i still stayed true to the finger-through-palm trick. somehow this still is one of the most effective RCs for me.

what are yours?

Yeah! I do the same, mine are barely ever form either, mostly context, which isn't an easy one but it is common.:)

I try to push two fingers through my palm, look around the room questioning the reality then I read words, look back and read them again. Just to be sure.

How long do you make your reality checks last?

tea

Postby tea » 23 Aug 2013 10:20

amy wrote:How long do you make your reality checks last?

attention! here comes a long answer for a short question!

actually not that long. but it depends:

when i do the finger through palm trick, it only takes me just some seconds. the important part is (like in every reality check) not to do it for the sake of doing it, but for the act of checking whether this is a dream or not. i know you know this already, but let me sum that up for a second;
when i do this check, i pause, ask myself: "what is happening right now?". "is this a dream?". then i do the check.
at this point i've figured out a way to do it efficiently: in my beginnings i looked at my left palm and then i tapped it with my right index finger, trying to poke through. i soon realized that i don't REALLY expect it to come out on the other side but rather do it, just to do it. when i noticed that, i changed my behaviour: i started doing this check by viewing my left hand from the side. then, when i do the movement with the right hand, it's way easier for me to continue the motion with the expectation of seeing the finger come out on the other side. there are three reasons for this:
- first, i would be able to see it going through at the same time as i'm doing it (in my previous method i couldn't see the back of my hand, making it harder to expect it poking through).
- second, my mind doesn't really have to make up how the entrance point of the finger would look like, since i don't really see it. (making it easier to let it happen / believe it)
- third, when i push agains my palm, i can see the back of my hand bending a little bit as the finger presses against all the flesh and stuff. at this point it's very easy for me to expect my finger to penetrate the hand.

although all of this may sound gross, it doesn't result in blood and broken bones when i dream. there, it actually looks (and feels) pretty funny. usually my finger just goes through like some non-solid graphics in video games (if you know what i mean). in my latest lucid dream something completely new happened: the finger didn't go through which made me doubt whether this was a dream or not. but something didn't feel right. i said to my self: "this has gotta work! something is not right here, this has got to be a dream!" and then, as i was still doing the RC, i noticed that my finger actually enters the hand, but just doesn't come out on the other side! it just disappeared!
funny experience ^^

i have another reality check too, which is: talking to my brothers about lucid dreaming and whether this is a dream or not.
see, i discovered that it's very common for me that at least one of my two brothers shows up in my dreams. so i'm trying to make it a habit to ask them to remind me about questioning this very moment.
so far, i have not had any success with that, but who knows... :)
the duration of this check pretty much depends on the conversation.

what about you?

Return to “For Beginners”