Sleeping posture

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
chuckeles

Sleeping posture

Postby chuckeles » 24 Aug 2013 18:42

Hello, I read in this http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/good-nights-sleep.html article that sleeping posture is important not just for good sleeping, but for having lucid dreams as well. I'm always sleeping on my stomach and according to the article this is not very good posture. I tried falling asleep on my back and on side, but it was just uncomfortable and after a while I gave up and returned to my usuall sleep posture. The questions I want to ask are, how important is sleep posture, how much will sleeping on my stomach affect my attempts to have a lucid dream and have can I enhance this sleep posture to have best possible effect? (Or have can I reprogram my body to feel comfortable falling asleep on side? :|)
Do a reality check.

My fist lucid dream will be awesome!

Juslisne

Re: Sleeping posture

Postby Juslisne » 24 Aug 2013 19:11

I too am looking at my sleeping posture and its effect on LDs.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 24 Aug 2013 19:35

I believe you should sleep with a posture that's comfortable to you. On your stomach, on your back, on the side, with a knee touching your chin,... whatever. As long as it doesn't damage your body, that's ok. And you will have lucid dreams this way. I've tried countless times to sleep on my back, be it to sleep or to have lucid dreams or even to OBE. Doesn't work. It's too umconfortable for me. I always sleep on my stomach and i have a good number of lucid dreams. On my side too.

tea

Postby tea » 24 Aug 2013 20:05

Highlander wrote:On your stomach, on your back, on the side, with a knee touching your chin,...

hahaha

yeah, i agree 100% with your post.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

chuckeles

Postby chuckeles » 24 Aug 2013 20:25

Highlander wrote:I believe you should sleep with a posture that's comfortable to you.

I'm so happy to hear that :D. Thank you! Also, does this apply to WILD as well?
Do a reality check.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 24 Aug 2013 20:36

chuckeles wrote:I'm so happy to hear that :D. Thank you! Also, does this apply to WILD as well?

I can't answer that because WILD is not a technique that i do. Well, i did once by accident and i was on my back, but it was because i woke that way. I use mostly B-MILD and DILD.
I think that finding a position most comfortable for you is the most important. When finding it, try the technique. There's not a rule for that. Good WILD is good concentration, relaxation and peace of mind, not a fixed and imposed position.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 31 Aug 2013 05:38

For a WILD, I personaly think it is better to use a different sleeping position then your normal one. This helps prevent ones body of doing its just normal going to sleep unaware thing as it helps to signal that you are trying to do something different.

For the same reason. Sleeping in a different place then ones normal one too can help some to LD (eg some have their first LDs while staying the night elsewhere).. their normal habit got broken so more chance of something different occurring. We all form habits and your normal habit is to just go into an unaware sleep each night hence to break that habit its best to do something like change sleep position if you want to fall asleep straight into an aware state. Stick with your normal sleeping posture and you need to overcome your normal sleep habit if you want to start doing LD

I dont know how much thou changing posture helps with other LD techniques but Ive found for me, the sleeping in a way I dont usually do eg on my back as its slightly uncomfortable for me as I far prefer to sleep on my side, can also trigger me into waking up into a dream cause I guess that then flowed into the dream that something was amiss (this can happen in situations also where I didnt do WILD).

Doing LDs on ones back I think is common due to most of us actually do sleep normally on our sides.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 31 Aug 2013 13:37

I'm used to sleeping on my side. But I've noticed I get a lot more lucid dreams when I sleep on my back.

So basically, I fall to sleep normally on my side but wake up ~4.5 hours (after first REM sleep cycle) after I intend to fall to sleep. Basically then I change my posture to sleeping on my back, and my amount of tiredness kind of outweighs the uncomfort of this posture (well it's not uncomfortable but I'm used to sleeping on my side) and I fall to sleep anyway.

So the result for me is better and greater lucid dreams at the cost of a worst restful sleep by the morning.

Also I'm really tired atm and overdosing on binaural beats so forgive me if some of my sentences dont make sense.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

chuckeles

Postby chuckeles » 31 Aug 2013 19:32

Thank you, now I finally know what to do. ;)
Do a reality check.

Vergil

Postby Vergil » 01 Sep 2013 16:36

I sleep on my stomach all the time and I was able to have solid lucid dreams, but that's just me

Return to “For Beginners”