Religious Background

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: Religious Background

Postby Peter » 24 Aug 2013 21:52

Summerlander - tend to agree and timely post. Thinking of you this morning and thinking I had not seen a post from you for a while

Also lets ALL (me included0 try to keep this thread under control as religion tends to polarize people and get out of control
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Religious Background

Postby HAGART » 24 Aug 2013 22:35

Summerlander wrote: To me, the agnostic position is a weak one because they have not bothered to look at the known and available evidence out there which heavily weighs against the God possibility.


I am agnostic, and yet.... I AGREE.
I do have a weak position because I am wishy-washy.

The possibility of a God to me is different than how any other religion depicts 'GOD'. Christianity has their befitting name for it: 'God'. Roman's have their own version, muscular male with flowing white hair: 'Zues'. I don't believe in those Gods, as they are crafted by man, but I am just open to the possibility that there is a higher being pulling the strings. It could be a couple of teenagers from a highly advanced, superior alien race and we are their pets living in an 'aquarium' for their amusement for all I know!

I only use imagination (and think all we humans do), and I can't prove nor disprove anything. There are so many theories, who knows what the truth really is.

I agree, I have a weak argument, because I can't stand for something I believe in one way or the other. But then again, I know that, so I don't try to convince others of my beliefs either.

I have no strong argument, so I don't argue.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

AceOfSpades
Posts: 198
Joined: 21 Jul 2013 19:38

Re: Religious Background

Postby AceOfSpades » 25 Aug 2013 01:45

Take it easy guys. Summerlander told his view which was the point, no one has to turn it into a who's right who's wrong argument as this topic was not intended for one. Though if I must nitpick Summerlander, it's that you said 99.9% instead of a full 100, it pretty much tells me that no matter how slim it is you have room for doubt.

That's my two cents. That aside let's get back to the topic at hand.

While we still have pleanty of room for people to express what their background and belief I want to share with you the purpose of this topic. This purpose is to express how our view effect much of the things we've expressed or talked about on this entire site.

In my case as a Pagan/Wicca I believe that there are some things that cannot be explained fully by certain logics. I believe that there are things experienced in lucid dreams that happen because of more than just our brains and subconscious. I am a firm believer of Out of Body Experiences as I experienced few in my time and I am a big believer in Paranormal Activities of all kinds because in my entire life I have encountered my fair share.

But hey that's just me.

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: Religious Background

Postby Peter » 25 Aug 2013 02:11

there is heaps that cant be explained and a lot is because we don't have the ability to explain. Nothing clever about that statement and I am happy to have no explanation rather that use some belief as it makes sense. In time be it 100's or 1000's of years we may get there and by then both science and religion wont exist in anyway that is related to now
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

User avatar
mia
Posts: 305
Joined: 03 Apr 2013 02:35
Location: CANADA

Re: Religious Background

Postby mia » 25 Aug 2013 03:37

Well said Hagart. Well said Peter. What is 'known' as it is right now, is certainly not everything.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

User avatar
Jack Reacher
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 05:03
Location: New Zealand

Re: Religious Background

Postby Jack Reacher » 25 Aug 2013 09:21

AceOfSpades wrote:Dude everyone has a background, even those that have no religion have a background.


Ok I guess to play along my background is my social culture and laws that govern the sphere I live in. As for a belief in... well what exactly?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

User avatar
Knife
Posts: 224
Joined: 10 Aug 2013 11:12
Location: Belgium

Re: Religious Background

Postby Knife » 25 Aug 2013 15:06

Well since my parents are Christian because their parents are Christian, I'm Christian too I guess... But in this society being Christian doesn't mean anything anymore.
Well... I don't act Christian, I don't think Christian, I'm just not Christian anymore (if there's a way to unchristian yourself please tell me :p).
Here in Belgium we have catholic schools ( most of them, I'm on one) and I don't like schoolreligions.

School religion is a cruel deciption it can blind your hearing it can mute your vision -R.A. The Rugged Man


So chose to do it my way: Don't believe in God, believe in yourself.

Okay thats just my vision...
Inherit the earth

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Religious Background

Postby HAGART » 25 Aug 2013 15:11

AceOfSpades wrote:Take it easy guys.
AceOfSpades wrote:This purpose is to express how our view effect much of the things we've expressed or talked about on this entire site.


I started defending my own beliefs in general and NOT how they pertain to lucid dreaming. I apologize, and will make sure whatever I say ties into the types of things we experience related to lucid dreaming. That is the point after all and it's easy to get side tracked.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, but when I said that, the way God in the Biblical religions is depicted, is crafted by man and it is comparable to Zues, what I meant was, that all the art work that shows a strong, powerful man with a white beard, are human's interpretation, and even devoutly religious people probably admit that whatever God actually looks like may not be the way He is depicted in art work and the way pop-culture portrays him. If there IS a god I doubt He/She/It looks like that. ( I too once believed in God when I was younger, and thought the same way even back then).

I believe in aliens too, but they are probably not 'little green men' the way pop-culture depicts them, and they probably haven't visited us yet.

So long story short, I gotta choose my words wisely and humor can be misinterpreted as offensive to some. I hope I didn't offend any aliens!
Last edited by HAGART on 25 Aug 2013 22:40, edited 2 times in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Religious Background

Postby HAGART » 25 Aug 2013 21:07

Peter wrote:there is heaps that cant be explained and a lot is because we don't have the ability to explain.


I agree.
Just like a chimpanzee or gorilla are very intelligent they peak at about the level of a human five year old or so. We too have our limits, but we don't have anything or anyone else to compare ourselves too, so we don't realize that we have peaked too. We really aren't as smart as we think we are.

With that said, that's why there are still so many mysterious events we can't explain. I like to think of the Paranormal as 'The Not-Explained Yet'. A UFO is just an object that flies that was unidentified. Once you identify it as an alien space ship it is no longer a UFO. It's an IFO!

But this ties in to lucid dreaming, because to me, OBE's, remote viewing, shared dreaming, the astral plane, and self-aware dream characters that some regard as actual spirits are all simply 'The Not-Explained Yet' for me.

Maybe it's my monkey-mind that doesn't comprehend it, and like Peter said, we may not have the ability to ever explain it in our day and age. But that shouldn't stop us from trying.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

AceOfSpades
Posts: 198
Joined: 21 Jul 2013 19:38

Re: Religious Background

Postby AceOfSpades » 26 Aug 2013 01:35

HAGART wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:Take it easy guys.
AceOfSpades wrote:This purpose is to express how our view effect much of the things we've expressed or talked about on this entire site.


I started defending my own beliefs in general and NOT how they pertain to lucid dreaming. I apologize, and will make sure whatever I say ties into the types of things we experience related to lucid dreaming. That is the point after all and it's easy to get side tracked.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, but when I said that, the way God in the Biblical religions is depicted, is crafted by man and it is comparable to Zues, what I meant was, that all the art work that shows a strong, powerful man with a white beard, are human's interpretation, and even devoutly religious people probably admit that whatever God actually looks like may not be the way He is depicted in art work and the way pop-culture portrays him. If there IS a god I doubt He/She/It looks like that. ( I too once believed in God when I was younger, and thought the same way even back then).

I believe in aliens too, but they are probably not 'little green men' the way pop-culture depicts them, and they probably haven't visited us yet.

So long story short, I gotta choose my words wisely and humor can be misinterpreted as offensive to some. I hope I didn't offend any aliens!


Don't worry you didn't offend anyone. It's just that it seemed it was heated is all.

I too believe in aliens and I'll tell you why. We live in a vast universe full of planets, some of which are able to sustain us as much as earth. There is no way in hell that we are alone in the universe.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest