Share the conversation starters you use with your DCs

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
lucidinthe sky

Share the conversation starters you use with your DCs

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Jul 2013 05:15

I'm looking for some new ideas. So how do you break the ice with your dream characters?

What has worked, what hasn't? Share things you want to try but haven't yet.

My next planned opening line is going to be "I need to hear a story, tell me one of your favorite stories." Will report back how that goes if I get the chance and remember to do it.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

LucidLink

Re: Share the conversation starters you use with your DCs

Postby LucidLink » 20 Jul 2013 06:42

I usually just start it as if I was starting a conversation with a stranger in real life, which is what I'm doing! :)

It works perfect too, the dream entity's I meet are very responsive and give me lots of information! :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Jul 2013 22:08

The problem for me is that my DCs often don't respond to the typical conversation starters you might use with strangers. And the difficult ones for me are when suddenly faced with people from the moment of lucidity, not even aware of the context, location or anything else. I get taken off guard, but some preparation beforehand should help with that.

What I've been thinking is that just explaining what you want or expect has seemed to work better than asking questions for me. Instead of "Do you have something for me?" I would say "Show me what you have for me." As we know, dreams are based on our beliefs and expectations. I read a comment on this forum a while back someone said whenever they want to drive their favorite car in a dream they first get the keys and then the car will appear. So I think it's good to create the intent/expectation. I'm going to be experimenting with this idea to see what happens.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jul 2013 22:03

I have been talking a lot more with my dream characters lately. I usually ask, "Do you know this is a dream?" If they say yes, you know it's going to be a good conversation, not like ones with those unresponsive, empty shell of a person.

If they say, "No", I ask, "Do you know anyone here who does?" They will often point to somebody and I will go up to them and ask them the same question until I hear a, yes. After that it's up to you, but it helps to find out what kind of person they are first.

I have much better conversations with a person who knows it is a dream and they seem to have more developed personalities too.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Aug 2013 02:55

I plan to start asking "Do we know each other from somewhere?" I want to see what kind of answers that evokes.

If I go up to a DC and just say Hi, Im usually not responded too. If I say to one "Stop, I want to speak to you". That often gets me no response either.

If I ask thou "What's your name?" I will sometimes be given a name.

I also usually look around before going to speak to one, to see if any of them seem to have any interest in me first. Usually none do thou but if one is looking at me etc, I'll approach that one.

Ive been finding it easier to get responses out of children DCs (where as the adults are usually busy and hence dont want to stop and talk), the children just seem happier to talk to me.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Aug 2013 03:19

taniaaust1 wrote:I also usually look around before going to speak to one, to see if any of them seem to have any interest in me first. Usually none do thou but if one is looking at me etc, I'll approach that one.

Ive been finding it easier to get responses out of children DCs (where as the adults are usually busy and hence dont want to stop and talk), the children just seem happier to talk to me.

I've noticed that a lot of dream characters in a busy room or a busy street tend to meander aimlessly as if they are busy but doing nothing at the same time. Then if you see one that is staring right at you, they tend to be the talkers. A few times they are the ones who actually come to ME and initiate the conversation. They are more lucid in the dream for some reason. It is still quite rare for me, maybe 1 out of 10 lucid dreams and I only lucid dream 1 out of 10 times so that is 1 in a 100.

But once I make eye contact I already know they are going to be 'talkers'. You just feel it. You feel the vibe.

tea

Postby tea » 15 Aug 2013 08:57

yeah that's true. DCs who are willing to talk somehow stand out.

in a LD, i once was with a group of people inside of a big building. i had a conversation with one of them and when i had the idea to ask him whether he knows that he's just a DC or not, he just kept talking. i didn't want to interrupt him so i waited for a gap. after a while i realized that he KNOWS what i want to ask him and that he wouldn't let me say it! everyone was sitting close and listening to our conversation but when i decided to ask them about this dream, they didn't let me speak.
after a while i turned my head and saw my girlfriend sitting at a window, looking at me with a knowing smile. i knew that she knows so i stood up and set next to her, saying: "you know this is a dream, right?" she smiled and agreed. then we talked about how other DCs don't like to talk about it and how annoying it is...

somehow my gf always knows when i'm dreaming, which is awesome :D
this way, there always is someone who understands and supports me in my dreams.

in another, recent dream i was trying to talk to strangers who simply wouldn't react or answer with nonsense. then, i saw gandalf standing on a bench. it was not just that he was gandalf but also the look he gave me. he knew! when i walked over to him, we started laughing and went for a little walk until i woke up.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 26 Aug 2013 13:10

General
"Hi."
"Sup?"
"Know any funny jokes?"

Men
"Sir, I'm from the FBI. I need you to come with me."

Women
"People Call Me Somnus, but You Can Call Me TONIGHT."
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

ESPer

Postby ESPer » 28 Aug 2013 09:43

[quote="HAGART"] I usually ask, "Do you know this is a dream?" [/quote]

Yes, that is a good one. Sometimes I even flat out tell them that when I wake up they will no longer exist. I had this one girl I'd fallen in love with in a dream cry because of this.

Twice I've had DC's tell me that it was their dream, not mine. That I was a character in their dream, not the other way around. I found that very interesting. The one time I was in a war zone and summoned a huge Phoenix and told it to wipe out all the war-like minds and leave only the good behind. Right after I did it this one guy that was just standing to the side observing me previously came running up to me telling me to make it go away. I asked why, and he responded: "because this is MY dream, not yours." Another time there was this guy that looked like Jonathan Lithgow. He was the ruler of this place and had armed guards surround me. He also said it was his dream and that I was invading his space. I took out a few guards then flew away. They were shooting at me and I felt one bullet graze me. It actually burned, the sensation felt quite real. And it didn't wake me up.

I wonder, has anyone else ever been told before that they were the DC's, and not the dreamer?
*Insert Clever Comment Here*

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Aug 2013 23:44

ESPer wrote:I wonder, has anyone else ever been told before that they were the DC's, and not the dreamer?

One time I was told by a DC that it was their dream and they didn't want me there.

Another time I had an interesting talk with an aware DC (one that knew it was a dream and even seemed to recognize me too). Here's an excerpt:

I said: "Do you know what a dream character is?"

She said: "Yes." (but a little hesitant and uncertain.
I said: "Do you think you are a dream character?"

She said: "Yes."
I said: "Do you think I am a dream character?"

She said: "Yes."

I was asking because at the time (this was back in February), I was starting to consider the idea that I, myself, in the dream is a DC too in a way when you think about it.

Return to “Dream Characters”