Dreaming, while having a fever

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Highlander

Dreaming, while having a fever

Postby Highlander » 26 Aug 2013 14:55

When we have a fever, it is difficult to sleep peacefully. Much worse is trying to dream. When I have a fever, a lot of abstract things pass through my mind: i see numbers appear and disappear, i see lines od all shapes and sizes, images that move too fast... Even when I wake up, this images won't stop. Sometimes I do not know if I'm awake, if i'm dreaming or hallucinating. It is very difficult to relax and concentrate. I think this happens to you too.
And what about lucid dreaming? In this state should be impossible to have lucid dreams. Did you have LD's while in fever? How was it?

mia

Re: Dreaming, while having a fever

Postby mia » 26 Aug 2013 16:13

I once had a fever high enough that I had hallucinations ( I was in the back of a Volkswagen wearing a wet suit and trying to take it off because I was so hot; it didn't feel like at lucid dream a all, but it certainly was an alternate consciousness state). I feel, through personal experience, that you need to feel well, calm, and centered, to lucid dream. Stress knocks mine right out of existence, until the stressor has disappeared.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Aug 2013 00:29

It's been a while since I had a fever, and it was long before I knew what lucid dreaming was.
So I never had a lucid fever dream, but I must admit,
the fever dreams are very bizarre indeed. I felt like I was delirious.

It's common knowledge that fevers create very strange and intense dreams and you start to feel delirious. Just search 'Fever Dream' on the internet and you'll see how common it is and how often it is referenced in pop culture and songs.

I guess the bottom line is, if your body is not well and is screaming out for help, it will influence our thoughts too and make us delirious.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

mia

Postby mia » 30 Aug 2013 01:07

Why I would be wearing a wet suit in the back of a Volkswagen is anybody's guess. It was certainly a hallucination.
Interesting about the fever dreams. I'm going to google fever dreams right now.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Aug 2013 03:35

I just Googled it again for curiosity and found a thread about it on another site:
http://www.dreamviews.com/sleep-health/52026-high-fever-causes-horrifying-dream-hullicination-what.html
(We can snoop in on other sites, just like anyone else can read what we type here. It's published for all to see.)

I didn't read it all, but one reply was very scientific and was about the chemistry of neurotransmitters and how they don't function properly in high heat conditions. (And fevers always come with high body temperature). I don't need to know the specifics, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Basically,

High body temperature = disrupted neurotransmission (brain activity) = hallucinations and delirium.

But describing the feeling of fever-delirium is a hard one, (and some night terrors too I had when I was younger. They were rare, but unforgettable). For me it was like a dire inexorable force is going to arrive and before it does I need to solve it, but it is an abstract conundrum I can't wrap my mind around! :o

I hate fever dreams!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

mia

Postby mia » 30 Aug 2013 17:33

I'm going to check out that link. Fever dreams are strange things indeed. I've not had many, but the memory of those I have had, linger forever.

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 31 Aug 2013 13:42

Any dreams I have whilst I am ill are almost always hazy, illogical and not vivid. Basically for me it's just another negative effect of getting sick.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”