Getting back into Lucid Dreaming, an idea.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jack Reacher

Getting back into Lucid Dreaming, an idea.

Postby Jack Reacher » 25 Aug 2013 07:53

Hey everyone, been a long time since I have really done anything with dreams (about 2 years?) or posted here, and im thinking of finding the space to do this again. I haven't remembered a dream in a long time, let alone even had a vivid dream. The problem is that now that I am busy with university, I don't want to wake up early in the morning (say 4-5 am) like I used to, as this was the easiest way for me to get lucid.

I also don't want to try and dream in the early morning hours, say 7 am+, as sleeping in seems to make me feel groggy and useless for the rest of the day. I also know from experience that trying to lucid dream when you first go to sleep is a big no no, you will not get lucid this way, and on the days where I can get up early without responsibilities, I feel I would rather use those days to actually sleep in and enjoy my sleep.

So what im thinking is, is it really such a bad idea to try and lucid dream before you go to sleep, say around 10 pm? Im thinking this because although you don't go straight into a WILD, I think it might keep your mind in the right state so that should you wake up earlier than usual, your chances of being lucid could be much higher. Does anyone else find they have more success with getting a lucid dream in the early hours of the morning by trying to do a WILD before they go to sleep?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Re: Getting back into Lucid Dreaming, an idea.

Postby lucidinthe sky » 25 Aug 2013 15:42

I find it does help, mainly by helping to keep you in the frame of mind of lucid dreaming. Even though reality checks aren't needed for WILD, I do them anyway because they help in the same way.

I have never been able to lucid dream during the first sleep of the night, but the HI is strongest for me then and that's also a really cool thing to experience. It does take quite an effort to hang on for the ride though.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 25 Aug 2013 21:59

Yeah you sorta have to put a few days aside and store up specific energy to do it, otherwise its just a waste of time. Still, its good discipline practice in some ways.

tea

Postby tea » 25 Aug 2013 22:54

how about going to bed earlier so that you can use those extra hours at the end of each night?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Aug 2013 23:06

Long time no see. (See your written words on a computer screen that is, and creating your own thread).

I agree that WBTB at about 4-5 a.m. tends to work for me too consistently, but it could take a full hour sometimes to go back to sleep and we don't always have the time for that and would simply prefer to sleep in order to be rested for the following day.

And oversleeping is the worst. I hate that and feel heavy-headed for the rest of the day and it's hard to concentrate.

Only twice have I ever had a lucid dream as my first dream of the night, but they were more like a lucid nap, and after I woke up and went back to sleep, I fell into a deep, dreamless sleep. So it is possible, but perhaps it was because I was sleep deprived at the time.

I don't know what your University schedule is like, but that is what this is about: trying to work around it. If it is possible to take a deep-sleep nap during the day, afternoon or early evening, and get that out of the way, I think REM dream sleep would be much easier for you at night, and of course REM is the best time to WILD or even DILD in my experience. It's also a good WBTB technique and breaks your sleep up into two parts.

Now I am intrigued and should try it. I did try the nap technique once with no success, but like everything I should have given it a week or so before I got use to it, and changed my sleep habit, before I expect results.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 26 Aug 2013 01:11

Well I didn't have a lucid dream, but I did have a vivid dream in the morning. Alarm got me up at 7 am, my test is at 6 pm so I thought why not try go lucid, il give myself an hour.

Il post the dream here, I don't feel like creating a specific topic for it in the other subforum. To start with, I went to bed at around 11 pm after watching a movie (Happiness.... horrific movie...). As I lay in bed I did a mixture of three things, I would try and ego drop, a sort of meditative technique where I try not to think at all and just experience my current position. I would also start thinking about maths when my thoughts started to pick up (this sort of helped simplify them, takes the weight off them in a way), and when the hypnogogic images got interesting I would stare at them and get into a trance.

After a while I must have fallen asleep, I woke u at 7am and decided to see what would happen if I lay back. Next thing I know I am staring at the Zombies map from BO2, and a new map has been added. For those who have played Zombies from Black Ops will know what im talking about, this is where the dream got interesting for me. The new stage started off in a small corridor, and it felt like I was actually playing the game. Now the dream wasn't set in my room as me playing with a controller, it felt like I was the actual player, but the physics of the game and the mechanics were identical. The graphics were 100% similar to the games graphics, all the movements were the same etc.

As the zombies would get closer to me, I guess I sort of created the map as I went in order to survive. I wasn't lucid so I thought I was actually playing the game, but more and more of the map revealed itself to me as I ventured on and it got more and more interesting. Towards the end of the dream there were thousands of zombies everywhere, and now people and dream character were in the game, also chasing me as if it were tag. The dream ended with me getting tagged by my friend, I was no longer the player from the game but me, running in the stage. It had transitioned into something more organic once people got involved.

So yeah, on reflection that I instantly got into the dream at 7 am without expecting it, I might give this a second round and see if I can make it lucid, and then go back to my space travel dreams and see what barriers now await me.

mia

Postby mia » 26 Aug 2013 16:18

I have had lucid dreams in my first sleep stage. If I'm tired enough, then I seem to easily experience sleep paralysis too ( body just wants to hurry up and get to sleep I imagine).
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Aug 2013 04:43

I do my LDs anytime including on when Im first going to sleep. It all depends on if Im tired enough at the time to get myself into a sleep state. To stop myself from just normally falling asleep like I usually do (unaware), I go to sleep instead on my back to signal to myself that I hope to rather WILD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

mia

Postby mia » 28 Aug 2013 05:19

Do you find body position ( back vs side say) really does make a difference? I've been trying to figure out if it does or not.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

Someone

Postby Someone » 28 Aug 2013 06:49

It does not seem to effect me personally much..but I am unable to sleep on my back. I almost always sleep on my side. Not sure if this helps, or answers your question; just my personal experience..

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”