Question on lucid dream stability

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Question on lucid dream stability

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Dec 2011 21:22

I have a question on lucid dream stability. Once you start having LDs, for most people the next step is to extend them, get stability and control. On my first LDs I got too excited and woke up. It felt like the whole things was so unstable that it would be impossible to keep it going or at least it would be hard work. I also felt like it was going to end anyway. I had a fantastic LD last night, I was almost as excited but I am sure that I got lucid at the very beginning of the dream and it was no work it all to keep things going in the dream, like it was going to run it's course regardless of my lucidity. So I'm wondering whether when you get lucid in the dream has more to do with stability than a lot of other things. Comments, ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

RosenVitae

Re: Question on lucid dream stability

Postby RosenVitae » 19 Dec 2011 23:00

You haven't mentioned if you tried any techniques to stabilize the dream, did you use any from the article?
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Dec 2011 00:06

Thanks, I have not used any of the dream stability methods yet, but I did read about them and will hopefully use them when I can. I'm still pretty new at this even though I have been only working on it seriously for just the past few months. This is the 3rd LD in a week so that's progress for sure! The first LDs were so short there wasn't any time, and I was way too excited. The most recent one was very stable so it wasn't needed. Part of the problem for me initially was that I was just too excited to even think straight. Plus I am still having a hard time accepting this whole thing, it screws up my concepts of reality.

Sure I read about lucid dreams being real and all that and said to myself: Oh yeah sure they are, right right. I'm sure they feel as real as a dream can feel. Of course we know that dreams are not real, don't we? Turns out, as many lucid dreamers know, LDs are just as real as waking life. That's been my experience. This is difficult for me to accept, but so completely fantastic!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Dec 2011 00:47

when you realize that you are lucid try to look at your hands, that will distract you for an instant and should keep you in the dream. Notice how they look and then put one hand or finger through the other hand and this should produce some interesting sensations. Doing this gives visual and tactile sensations and can be done anytime the dream starts to fade. It will also give you understanding of what the dream body or you "self" is in the dream state.

Look forward to your post after trying this

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

RosenVitae

Postby RosenVitae » 20 Dec 2011 01:11

lucidinthe sky wrote:Plus I am still having a hard time accepting this whole thing, it screws up my concepts of reality.

Sure I read about lucid dreams being real and all that and said to myself: Oh yeah sure they are, right right. I'm sure they feel as real as a dream can feel. Of course we know that dreams are not real, don't we? Turns out, as many lucid dreamers know, LDs are just as real as waking life. That's been my experience. This is difficult for me to accept, but so completely fantastic!

LDs are as real or unreal as you want them to be, I'd say. If you find it more attractive to think of it as less real than when fully awake (as long as you still experience it and get better), then you're doing very very well :) As you go along, you may change your mind at your own leisure.
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Dec 2011 03:59

Peter,

I will try to look at my hands next lucid dream, but you made me think about my lucid dreaming body and honestly I haven't even been aware of having a body at all in lucid dreams, hope there is one :). It would be freaky if there was no body there! This whole thing is totally freaky anyway so nothing would surprise me at this point! I still can't get over how solid, colorful and 3D the lucid dreaming world is, it completely defies logic. I spend so much of my LD time in awe of the whole situation. What is this place, how the heck did I get here? Etc.

I will report back on my findings. Happy LDs!

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Dec 2011 04:49

I'll give you a clue and that is that the ld world and your body are as solid as you want them to be
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Dec 2011 04:55

I keep checking the LD world in every Ld and I am absolutely sure it is solid, but I'll find out about my body next!

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 28 Dec 2011 23:09

Like Peter said (or rather implied), lucid dreams are all about expectation. It's what you EXPECT to happen.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 28 Dec 2011 23:30

Yes this is true, but we are often not aware of our real expectations, they are sometimes very deep. They do tend to come out in dreams though so we can get a window into that.

Just as a follow-up on the hands issue which I've already posted about: Looking at my hands kind of freaked me out a bit since they were deformed, seemed to glow and had a finger length and number that changed as I watched. I looked away for a second and then back at them and they were very different, more fingers, longer and changing. I am not aware of this being an expectation, I think I just don't know how to manifest the image of my hands without the external input of waking life. The second look was a lot closer to reality but really unstable as an image.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”