Religious Background

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Religious Background

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Sep 2013 00:55

I knew this'd spark a religion debate. -_-
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Sep 2013 01:38

Ok. No more debating. Catholic background. Lol!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 01 Sep 2013 04:08

Ok here is something new I want to ask it's part of this topic and extends it. As stated before, no debating as this is not a question of who's right or who's wrong.

How does your background religious and otherwise influence your view on the following subjects in Paranormal activity.
1. Ghosts.
2. Elementals (Fairies, Duende, Gnomes etc..)
3. Celestial Beings (Angels and what not.).
4. Demonic Entities.
5. Monsters.
6. Gods.
7. Spiritual Energy.
8. Myths and Urban Legends.
As stated before I will start. As a Pagan I believe there is a god for almost everything. The reason being is that I see the universe as one big construction job. And because of it it takes more than just one being to create it all and maintain it for all these years. I also believe that it was created by goddess', but in the pseudo-logical stand point because much like how only a mother can birth a baby, the creator has to be a woman. But hey that's just me. I also believe in Elementals and even seen some in my life time. To me they appear in little forms of light that fly around in a dancing motion. I also believe in Celestial beings because I was saved by one once when I was very young. I believe in demonic entities simply because you can't have the good without the bad. And I truly believe in monsters, not just the ones in closets like the classic ghost stories, but it can also be defined as someone of great evil. I believe in ghosts because I have experienced in my fair share of hauntings. I believe in spiritual energy because many things demonstrated before both real and mythic don't just come out of no where it always leaves a trace. I believe in Myths and Urban Legends because while by now they are all scrambled and exaggerated they had to have come from somewhere. But hey that's just me and I want to know on your POV on the matter.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Sep 2013 04:39

To ACEofSPADES:

I read your new message/questions and I need to think about it before I write back.
I must say, I disagree, but I like you. Even though all I know about you are just words on a page, I feel you.
I encourage others as well to think before they type, so they can word it correctly.
I don't think this has become a debate and it's been very civil.

We all have differences of opinions, but as long as there are no personal attacks, it's all good! :D
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 01 Sep 2013 05:02

Thank you Hagart that was precisely my point of this entire topic. I encourage all to take the advice he has given out as answers like this could either just come to you or take a while to think over.

Also I noticed most of you have talked about what backgrounds you used to have but not anymore, so to make it a little challenging I want you to also state hypothetically, how it would have influenced you had you stayed that same faith now like you were then.

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Sep 2013 08:01

At times I think by some fluke or freakish event we are now what we are and we are the only life in existence and our developing awareness is chucking up a few false trails as a by product of the gift of consciousness and out ability to be self aware. This is the one difference between us and all of life on this planet the fact that we can think and then take our thoughts and think about them and from here create.

In my mind we are what we are looking for - there was nothing before us
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Sep 2013 10:59

I agree with Peter. I don't believe in any of the religious or mythical beings that Ace mentioned. I've also been expose to too much science to know that the laws of physics suffice in maintaining this existential jazz.

But, hypothetically, if I'd allowed my Catholic background to completely dominate my life, coupled with my mother's superstitious beliefs impinged on my impressionable mind, I probably would believe in all those mythical figures, the afterlife, ghosts, and last but not least: God.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Sep 2013 12:41

I don't like to define my religious and scientific (because I think that science has varying mindsets as well) viewpoint, seeing as it's too comprehensive and complicated. Really, I just don't feel like typing it all out lol.
1. I think that dissociated consciousness can't influence the actual temporal world. Even with astral projection, you can't physically touch anything; you have to fly through walls. That's why I don't think ghosts are real, because the story goes that ghosts haunt places and you can hear them crying or banging doors open and closed.
2. Nope! (: Even if they were extremely sophisticated and camouflaged (even then it's a stretch), I think that, in all our years of being on earth, we'd have uncovered some sort of evidence that these things are there.
3. Yes, I believe in celestial beings. I've had several spiritual encounters that could have been nothing but.
4. I think that's the same as the above question. But I mean, if demons aren't real, how can we account for years of documented demon possessions recorded by the church? It may be some other psychophysiological disorder that we have yet to discover and name, but some of the stuff I've seen can't be accounted for by any worldly explanation. It's crazy, some of the stuff.
5. Oh, yes, monsters can exist. The word "monster" just means some unnatural, hideous (and probably dangerous and blood thirsty) beast that exists beneath the radar. I like to use the TV show "Fringe" to explain this one (really good show by the way). Technology will continue to advance exponentially (obviously), and, I think, that eventually it will get out of the hands of any government or other major authority that there is. There will be more and more private scientists who use their knowledge for personal means, be that terrorism or other. It's certainly possible that biological enhancement would create horrible beasts or transform people into something unnatural. The technology and biochemistry is not that far-off. Monsters don't have to be a supernatural phenomenon. ("Properly developed technology is completely indistinguishable from magic!")
6. Yes.
7. Yeah, I believe in spiritual energy mainly because it explains so many other unexplainable phenomena. Why, for example, can family members inexplicably sense when their loved one is in terrible danger or has just died?
8. Depends on the legend. :D
Well said.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 01 Sep 2013 17:16

When I mentioned Gods/Goddesses I didn't just mean divine creation it also applies to beings of a higher food chain and advanced technology that could be mistaken or posing as gods. You know kind of like the old myth about the Pyramids meaning to be a landing pad for aliens. To make a long story short any life form that punched a hole through our sky.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 01 Sep 2013 18:35

My scepticism seethes at the mention of all these things. I also don't think the universe is abundant with life, let alone intelligent life as we understand it. Planet Earth is a needle in a haystack as a world that happened to overcome certain hurdles (as it was randomly equipped to do so) that would allow it to harbor carbon-based lifeforms long enough to sustain this level of complexity.

Yes, it's true that there are many earth-like planets out there and a myriad galaxies, but that doesn't mean life had a chance to evolve to this level. Some have the wrong mother-stars, others are outside the goldilocks zone of their solar systems, others have the wrong orbital tilt and so on.

I think it probable that there are more barren lifeless worlds than anything else. Some may be equipped to sustain microbial life before being wiped out. Others may have evolved the extent of plant and mediocre animal lifeforms but nothing more. Very few will have produce intelligent beings like us humans. Even rarer, if any in our universe, are worlds that kept appropriate natural conditions long enough to have harboured and evolved superintelligent aliens far more advanced than us. If such beings exist, and although they may be capable of things that would make us believe in magic and the supernatural, they would not be real gods and their feats would still be natural and performed using advanced technology.

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”