Empathy

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
AceOfSpades

Empathy

Postby AceOfSpades » 03 Sep 2013 02:37

I am not sure if this should be either in Paranormal or Off topic as it can be debated whether or not this subject is simply human nature or a supernatural ability. But I would like to talk about Empathy. Not just feeling others emotions but all sorts of empathy. For as long as I can remember I myself have had a severe case of empathy. I couldn't go to hospitals without feeling the intense pain from the sick and injured. I couldn't be near someone without feeling what they suffered nor could I be near them if I felt they made someone else suffer. Sometimes it's minor like an itch that couldn't be scratched but others leave me paralyzed, numb and almost a crying wreck. It even extends to the point where despite not being real I even empathize with fictional characters.

ESPer

Re: Empathy

Postby ESPer » 06 Sep 2013 01:44

Yes, I believe that I attract energy and emotions from the other people around me. For me it just takes the form of raw energy, and I get bombarded with an overabundance of it. I feel like I'm going to explode, or want to scream to just release some of it. I don't feel happy, sad, or whatever the other person is feeling. It's just like it hits me in it's raw form (pure energy). And I don't know what to do with it.

I think it's a big reason I'm an introvert. I need alone time like I need oxygen. It helps me to reenergize and refocus. I love just getting away from the world to a nice secluded fishing spot or something.

I've also learned some good grounding techniques from a few acquaintances. Walking on the Earth (grass/sand, not concrete) in your bare feet helps. Or grabbing your faucet and holding onto it with your hands. I know that last one sounds a bit nuts, but it works. It's like expelling your excess energy into the ground. And imagine that process happening while you do it. Wearing clear quartz crystal too, like a necklace helps to absorb it.
*Insert Clever Comment Here*

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 06 Sep 2013 21:09

I at first wanted to control it, but something in my gut told me doing that would cause worse consequences. So my whole life I tried to get used to it. Kinda like when you condition yourself to get used to physical pain. It does nothing to stop the pain, but you don't look too bothered by it. I think the better way to describe it would be Wolverine. He has a healing factor so every time he pops his claws out they hurt him. Every time, but because he knows they hurt he is not as bothered by them as he initially was. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though. With me people can always tell if I am hurting even if I try to hide it. It's like whatever emp I have I can project it on others without even touching them. They can't tell what I am feeling from it, but they know I am hurting from it so to speak. To tell you the truth that's the part I wanted to control.

patches

Postby patches » 16 Aug 2014 09:34

I seem to absorb other people's energies as well...that's why I tend to avoid crowded places. I feel things in my body, get headaches, my hands start shaking, etc.
at one point, it got so bad that I stopped leaving my house...that went on for about 8 months until I decided to do something about it and started meditating and learning ways to ground myself and basically "protect" myself from taking on other people's energy.
Personally, I don't see much benefit in allowing yourself to walk around completely "open" 24/7. It is possible to empathize with others without taking on their "energetic garbage", if that makes sense. You can train yourself to be aware of it, be supportive, etc., without taking on their suffering as your own. Many of the techniques that you can use to protect yourself can also be useful in making sure that you're not subconsciously passing on your own stuff to others.
I've also found the walking barefoot in grass thing to be beneficial for grounding...the faucet idea I've never heard of, but can't wait to try...I'd find it super amusing if it works.
One thing that works for me both ways (keeping other people's stuff out and my own stuff to myself) is visualizing like an egg-shaped energetic barrier around your body. I imagine that mine allows good energy in, and blocks negative energy. There's a bit more to it than that, but you can find a ton of info about it, it's a pretty common method..i felt a bit silly at first, but I gave it a go out of desperation, and found that it actually helped a lot. Meditation works wonders, as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 19 Aug 2014 01:44

I recommend you could explore the following website -
- www.drjudithorloff.com

Dr. Judith Orloff is a very wise psychiatrist, who has learned to deal with her own energy vulnerabilities related to her intuitive empathy.

On her website - under section - "Judith's Blogs & Quizzes" - click quiz - "Are you a relationship empath?" - learn if you absorb other people's stress into your own body

Years ago, I really enjoyed reading Dr. Orloff's first book - "Second Sight", in which she describes how she had recurrent psychic experiences, like precognition, when growing up, and many people were "spooked" by her ability. She was a rebellious teenager and came close to dying in a car accident. She was lucky enough to have counseling with a supportive, open-minded psychotherapist, who inspired her to become a psychiatrist. She gives an engrossing account of her training as a psychiatrist, and also discusses her interactions with other highly intuitive people later in life, and she gives suggestions for developing one's own intuitive abilities.

Dr. Orloff has written other good books and also has YouTube videos, in which she offers very useful insight and suggestions regarding dealing with emotions and learning to nurture intuition.

patches

Postby patches » 19 Aug 2014 04:38

Haha! I first started realizing that's what was going on with me after reading something by dr. Judith Orloff!
Good suggestion.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Off-Topic”