Is Astral Projection Real?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

What do you think about Astral Projection?

I am neutral, never tried doing it before.
35%
It might be real, though I am unsure if there is a difference between it and lucid dreaming.
17%
It is real, I have had one/several before.
13%
Astral Projection is just another lucid dream in my opinion.
35%

Total votes: 23

Goldkoron

Is Astral Projection Real?

Postby Goldkoron » 03 Sep 2013 01:40

What do you think about Astral Projection? I myself am unsure whether it's just another lucid dream. Many people believe that Astral Projection exists, which completely stumps me.

I am in no way bashing Astral Projection with this thread, I do not have any experience with it.

If you believe that it is possible to leave your body in a ethereal form and explore the world, provide your scientific theory to that here.
Do a reality check

HAGART

Re: Is Astral Projection Real?

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 19:06

Good question. Maybe it IS real.
But let's try and explain it scientifically if we can.
(And science isn't always physics, but also psychology, and biology)

I actually don't have a scientific explanation for it, if it exists at all,
maybe someone else can explain it.

I heard a scientific explanation about how Remote Viewing is possible. And Remote Viewing is like Astral Traveling in a way so they are connected:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5L8z34sNg
(Agree or disagree with this, at least it is science-based)

EDIT: I just watched it again, and I think he has some good ideas. It gets very scientific, even for me, but I understand it for the most part. I will sum it up for the layman the best I can.

In our world, long radio waves pass through us and shorter ones have no influence either. We live in a world of perceivable light waves and that is the 'middle' for us, give or take. But go an 'octave' higher or lower, and there may be a world that is as real as ours, and our 'middle' waves pass through them just the same. Where is the end of the electro-magnetic spectrum? Does it go on forever, but we simply can't perceive them? Is it an endless continuum? Evolution has engineered our minds to see the present, here and now, so we can survive, and perceive the proverbial oncoming tiger, and not see those other dimensional beings. But in a certain state of mind... theta wave, or even others, perhaps we CAN perceive these other 'realities'.

(I am just summing up the video link as best I can in case others don't want to view it. So don't blame ME if you disagree. But it does make you think....... :ugeek: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 23:06

And BTW good use of the poll feature.
I never used those before, but it works well for this, and shows the results. It is simply a poll and gathers a consensus data, and nothing more. This is about science,

and not another one of those Astral Projection vs. Lucid dream debates I've seen plenty of times before...........

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Sep 2013 23:16

What some people take to be the astral plane is in fact the dream world that is generated in your head. Like in lucid dreaming, you are conscious within a dream. The difference is that if you are a believer in astral projection, you won't say "I'm dreaming," you will say, "I'm in the astral." I voted for the last option. I don't believe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 23:53

Summerlander wrote:What some people take to be the astral plane is in fact the dream world that is generated in your head. Like in lucid dreaming, you are conscious within a dream. The difference is that if you are a believer in astral projection, you won't say "I'm dreaming," you will say, "I'm in the astral." I voted for the last option. I don't believe.

So that's a psychological-science answer.
As of now, I think it is all in our heads too and we must realize that when we are lucid dreaming we are not in the same frame of mind as awake. And we need to realize that and compare and contrast the differences in cognition when in those two states. For example, short term memory is almost non-existent in a lucid dream, and I have tried to remember what I did 5 minutes ago in a lucid dream and the details get replaced with the overwhelming force of future imagination and I get false memories.

Then I wake up and it is all clear.

That was my own personal scientific test, and short-term memory goes hay-wire when in a lucid dream, I must say in my experience. We can believe it is so real, and then wake up, and we question the difference of perception between sleep consciousness and waking cognitivity.

But I am still open minded and there is a part of me that still wonders if it is possible for other realities to exits. And even if science can prove the possibility one way or the other, that doesn't mean I have the capability to perceive them in an alternate perceptive state of mind.... or can I?

Why doesn't someone make a machine that can perceive these alternate dimensions existing at a different frequency? If it is possible, a machine can do it with far better and objective results than our minds.

If we can see other dimensions, a machine can (or can't), and it will be case closed either way. Problem solved! One way or the other. I'm not taking a side just yet. Can't we resolve this dilemma one way or the other with science yet?! Or even maybe some logical reasoning? (we can't and that's why it's hard).

But it's fascinating!

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 04 Sep 2013 00:32

Last night I had ... well, I'm not sure what I had. I suddenly stood up from my bed and stood in my dark room. I thought that I was astral projecting (be it dreaming or not) so I looked back at my bed but my body wasn't there. But I knew it wasn't reality, because I had the "feeling." You know, that feeling you get where you don't even need to RC, you just know that you're dreaming.
So far, every time I've "astral projected," it's been a dream for sure because something or another has been wrong. Example: my body was not in the bed, I could conjure images at will.
But that might just mean that I haven't done it successfully yet and I'm just dreaming about it because of the day residue.
Well said.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 04 Sep 2013 00:44

My theory is, if shared conscious is possible and shared dreaming etc, if remote viewing were possible, I think we are all connected on a human web network. Such as our brains can connect to other people's brains via some frequency. So if we were for example, remote viewing some other area, we would be getting that information from other people on the large core network.
Do a reality check

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 04 Sep 2013 07:56

I think it's real. There are ways of telling the difference between a dream and an astral trip.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 04 Sep 2013 15:50

What are those ways? If you don't mind me asking.
Do a reality check

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Sep 2013 16:32

AceOfSpades wrote:I think it's real. There are ways of telling the difference between a dream and an astral trip.

This does not seem like a viable way to conclude a discrimination between lucid dreaming and the belief-centric astral projection affair. One must bear in mind that the dreaming mind has an infinite potential to concoct any credible and incredible scenario from the mundane to the abstract and truly profound. This factor alone dismisses your premise. Sorry but I had to point out that your statement upholds a very weak a priori judgement. This is, after all, the dream science forum.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”