The real Inception - changing behavior with lucid dreaming

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Thinker

The real Inception - changing behavior with lucid dreaming

Postby Thinker » 02 Sep 2013 15:19

Hello everybody,

I'm new in the subject of lucid dreams.
I did not find any post about this subject, so I want to try to begin a good discussion about this.

One of my goals with lucid dreaming is a subject that I've never seen someone talking much. Rebecca in her book says that lucid dreaming has the potential to change behavior. This is very similar to the purpose of the team in the movie Inception, in some aspects.
I don't know for sure if this is even possible but I suspect that it is, because of hypnotherapy.
To those who are not familiarized with hypnotherapy, here's a link of a documentary by BBC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C5AhnLsogpU

I recommend this documentary. At one point, they even say it is possible to implant memories on people, Inception style.
Essentially, hypnotherapy uses hypnosis to change behavior, by making suggestion to people that are in altered states of consciousness, so that the message can slip and enter easily in the subconscious.

So, I thought that the same principle could apply in lucid dreams, because people are in a altered state and can themselves make suggestions, like self-hypnosis.

Examples of changes you would want: Stop smoking, starting to like something that you don´t like (ex: study, reading or walking), etc, etc, endless possibilities

So my goal here is:
- Ask you if you, in your lucid dream experiences, something that you did/felt/believed, persisted in waking reality
- Ask you if you know more information about this subject (like scientific experiments, etc)
- Start the debate ^^

The text became a bit long, but well, I hope you participate and let me know your ideas. Sorry for my bad English. Cheers ^^

HAGART

Re: The real Inception - changing behavior with lucid dreami

Postby HAGART » 02 Sep 2013 23:00

Excellent question.
Although I lucid dream frequently, I don't have much experience myself with this aspect of it, but I've heard lucid dreaming can conquer fears and addictions and there are many anecdotal evidence.
It makes sense that one can alter their subconscious and plant ideas in their head much like hypnosis.
I'll watch the link sometime and look forward to other replies from those who have had more experience with this.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 03 Sep 2013 12:14

Here is an experiment I just came up with to try this out.

1. Think of something you do not like, for example, a song you think is bad.
2. Get a lucid dream.
3. Listen to the music in your dream, while forcing yourself to believe that you like it.

No idea if it will work, but I do want to try it.
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 03 Sep 2013 13:08

DeltaV wrote:Here is an experiment I just came up with to try this out.

1. Think of something you do not like, for example, a song you think is bad.
2. Get a lucid dream.
3. Listen to the music in your dream, while forcing yourself to believe that you like it.

No idea if it will work, but I do want to try it.

Thank you, DeltaV and HAGART for you contribution ^^

Yes, I'm already going to do that. That similiar of what is done with hypnosis.

I will try to manipulate dreams to create scenarios that make me feel what I want. Many times, until it expresses when I'm awake.

I'm also going to try to wake up in the middle of a lucid dream at the moment I'm feeling what I want, so that I can experienciate that feeling awake, somehow, that may help, I don't know. This happens right? I'm thinking in those moments when you suddenly wake from a dream and for a period of time you still think that is real. This already happened to me several times. I could get in love, thinking in a women that did not existe, but I believed it in real life after waking.

I have two questions to you all: you ever felt something that was not equal to how you felt in the real world? Ex: hating chocolate (supposing you like it : D) or loving something you hate in real life
The other question is: when we wake in the middle of a lucid dream, whe immediately change or the dream still presists and fades progressively? (like the situation I mentioned before)
Last edited by Thinker on 03 Sep 2013 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 18:05

Thinker wrote:I have two questions to you all: you ever felt something that was not equal to how you felt in the real world? Ex: hating chocolate (supposing you like it : D) or loving something you hate in real life
The other question is: when we wake in the middle of a lucid dream, when immediately change or the dream still presists and fades progressively? (like the situation I mentioned before)

When I try to awaken in the middle of the lucid dream, it more often than not becomes a false awakening for me. So just remember to do a reality check, no matter how much you think you actually woke up. I still get duped sometimes. And of course, the emotions you feel in the dream linger for a while after you wake up, whether love OR fear, or any other.

As for your first question, I don't think I ever have.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 03 Sep 2013 22:04

I watched the beginning of that documentary you suggested and it already started talking about something I was already going to say: How to conquer your fear of spiders.

I don't have a phobia of spiders, but I must say, a tarantula crawling up my arm would give me the shivers. We have fears for a reason. They keep us safe, and those without them have long since died from doing stupid acts. Spiders and snakes are usually poisonous and it's in our best survival instinct to avoid them and not cuddle them.

But there are some people in this world who not only have no fear of them, but adore them and keep them as pets. Snakes I can understand, they are cute in a way, but spiders are the definition of monstrous in my book.

But it's subjective and irrational. To conquer fears of these animals, patients are usually subjected to them gradually until one day they can actually hold one in their hand and get use to it and perhaps even see the beauty in them the same way we feel a kitten is cute. (Thinking of kittens as cute is also irrational when you think about it).

So let me tie this into lucid dreaming. If you are in a lucid dream, and with intent, you find a spider. Pick it up and put it on your arm and let it crawl around. You can always toss it aside if it gets too unnerving for you. After a while of training and building courage you may one day in your dream even pet it and love it. (Or even talk to it and it can talk back). So the same basic principles that are used in real life to conquer phobias and change our mentality and how we perceive, can be done in a lucid dream with training.

I should try it. I don't have a big problem with spiders, but I do have some angst about flying in airplanes. I have been having many dreams about it. I should try and conquer that, because it too is irrational. I'm not afraid of cars, but I am afraid of flying? It's irrational, but I don't like the idea of hurling through the air in a metal tube watching those wings bend and stress during turbulence. (I have flown before many times, and I know what it is like, but for some reason I don't like it anymore, and it scares me).

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 04 Sep 2013 12:13

HAGART wrote:I watched the beginning of that documentary you suggested and it already started talking about something I was already going to say: How to conquer your fear of spiders.

I don't have a phobia of spiders, but I must say, a tarantula crawling up my arm would give me the shivers. We have fears for a reason. They keep us safe, and those without them have long since died from doing stupid acts. Spiders and snakes are usually poisonous and it's in our best survival instinct to avoid them and not cuddle them.

But there are some people in this world who not only have no fear of them, but adore them and keep them as pets. Snakes I can understand, they are cute in a way, but spiders are the definition of monstrous in my book.

But it's subjective and irrational. To conquer fears of these animals, patients are usually subjected to them gradually until one day they can actually hold one in their hand and get use to it and perhaps even see the beauty in them the same way we feel a kitten is cute. (Thinking of kittens as cute is also irrational when you think about it).

So let me tie this into lucid dreaming. If you are in a lucid dream, and with intent, you find a spider. Pick it up and put it on your arm and let it crawl around. You can always toss it aside if it gets too unnerving for you. After a while of training and building courage you may one day in your dream even pet it and love it. (Or even talk to it and it can talk back). So the same basic principles that are used in real life to conquer phobias and change our mentality and how we perceive, can be done in a lucid dream with training.

I should try it. I don't have a big problem with spiders, but I do have some angst about flying in airplanes. I have been having many dreams about it. I should try and conquer that, because it too is irrational. I'm not afraid of cars, but I am afraid of flying? It's irrational, but I don't like the idea of hurling through the air in a metal tube watching those wings bend and stress during turbulence. (I have flown before many times, and I know what it is like, but for some reason I don't like it anymore, and it scares me).

I think you should do that, that protective unconscious is not very smart at knowing wich situation to fear. It's allways a good skill to acquire

Yes, fears can protect us in some cases, but there are levels of fear. You can have fear of spiders or you can have fobias that are much stronger. People like that, can even faint if they see a spider (I suppose fainting does not protect you xD). But yeah, the biological reason I guess is protection, altough I don't know if this always applies

This concept can virtually be applied to a lot of situations. Imagine for example that you are shy and cannot express your opinion in public. If you practice that in lucid dreams, you may overcome that and would be a gigantic boost in your life and skills

I don't know methodologies to do this kind of therapy in every stituation, but I have a question to ask: is possible to feel something when you want to, in the dream? Ex: You are in a dream and think ''now I want to feel angry'' the sames apllies to happiness, pleasure, etc. Or you have to engage in an activity that provides you with the feeling?

What you would suggest for example for this problem: imagine that I want to like reading books, love it really, enjoy doing it. What kind of trick you can imagine to do in dreams? Of course that I can read in the dream, you have other ideas?

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 11 Sep 2013 13:19

No one? : D

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”