Is Astral Projection Real?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

What do you think about Astral Projection?

I am neutral, never tried doing it before.
35%
It might be real, though I am unsure if there is a difference between it and lucid dreaming.
17%
It is real, I have had one/several before.
13%
Astral Projection is just another lucid dream in my opinion.
35%

Total votes: 23

Peter

Re: Is Astral Projection Real?

Postby Peter » 07 Sep 2013 03:33

If you want to start at the very beginning then what do you consider as real. Would a thought be real by your terms.

The question is more correctly is astral travel what you think it is - that will be hard to answer. Of course it is real, it has caused a reaction, some thoughts and some response in you body.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Sep 2013 04:37

What we need is a clear definition of 'Astral Projection'
And even a clear definition of 'Lucid Dream' so we can compare.

I'm starting to believe that it is a cultural interpretation and label of the same phenomenon as lucid dreaming. Just like hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones are all different names for the same thing depending on your culture.

And those 'wind-storms' (whatever you call them) come in different sizes, and intensity, and they tend to 'blow us away!' sometimes.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the difference, and I'm waiting curiously.......
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 07 Sep 2013 10:10

The problem is definition, like it is in a lot of human discussions.
And definition is arbitrary. So I'm going to give you na hypothetical definition: Astral projection is a projection of someone's body into a non-physical entity that can travel the earth, having/sharing the same cognitive habilities with the person that emits it.
Of course, you will ask, can existe a non-physical entity? Just the word entity gives us immediatly the sense of physical object. I don't have enough physics knowledge, so I don't know if there are non-physical entities.

I will assume that people distinguish lucid dream from astral projection, by saying that in astral projection, the entity (your projection) experiences the real world (whatever that is...at least our frame of real world) and in lucid dreaming is just imagination.

Probably, this definition is not the same as other people that believe in the subject, I just don't have great knowledge on this matter. My comment is just to give more juice to the debate xD

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Sep 2013 14:21

Thinker wrote:And definition is arbitrary.

Yea, that's the problem.
We need a clear one, that all agree on, before we can even begin to answer this thread's question.

From what I gather, believers in Astral Projection think they are observing the real world, or other worlds. Perhaps a little bit askew at times, they credit that to our brains' misinterpretation of what they sense while being out of body, or in a different 'astral body', and remote viewing something.

And a Lucid Dreamer is observing a world that is completely fabricated by their own imagination.

That's my basic definition that I was using (and it's the same as Thinker's), but I could be wrong too. I'm not an authority on Astral Projection.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 07 Sep 2013 14:59

HAGART wrote:
Thinker wrote:And definition is arbitrary.

Yea, that's the problem.
We need a clear one, that all agree on, before we can even begin to answer this thread's question.

From what I gather, believers in Astral Projection think they are observing the real world, or other worlds. Perhaps a little bit askew at times, they credit that to our brains' misinterpretation of what they sense while being out of body, or in a different 'astral body', and remote viewing something.

And a Lucid Dreamer is observing a world that is completely fabricated by their own imagination.

That's my basic definition that I was using (and it's the same as Thinker's), but I could be wrong too. I'm not an authority on Astral Projection.

I and many others (although not all of course), agree that astral projection and lucid dreaming are the exact same thing!! But astral projection is still real, the ONLY difference is, astral projection happens from a contious state, and lucid dreaming happens in an uncontious state.

Dreaming takes place on the astral plane in the astral body just as astral projection does. The only thing is, lucid dreams are highly altered by your subcontious, and astral projections are far closer to the reality we live in.

But they are the same thing, that happens in the same place and their both real in my opinion!

I know people that have astral projected and seen their friends and what their doing even though their in another country far away from the astral projecter.

And for those, that are a absolutely sure astral projection dosnt exist, my question is, how do you do know?
Because you don't know, and neither do I, and THAT'S the real truth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 10 Sep 2013 20:35

I'm an atheist so I have no belief in the supernatural... so to me its just Lucid dreams. I have had very weird false awakenings that made me think of astral but then I always conclude that's its just in my head....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
What is your definition of reality?

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 10 Sep 2013 20:46

If its possible that diff dimensions do exists would be considered supernatural?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
What is your definition of reality?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Sep 2013 23:46

dreamerinmiami wrote:If its possible that diff dimensions do exists would be considered supernatural?

If it could be proven with science then it wouldn't be supernatural; It would be natural no matter how absurd it seems to our feeble minds. (We once thought the Earth was flat!) So far, I have only heard anecdotal evidence, and proof is hard to come by. I doubt we will solve it any time soon here in this thread.

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 11 Sep 2013 12:58

To people that are curious about this other dimensions/universes stuff:

http://io9.com/5714210/string-theory-fails-first-major-experimental-test

Other dimensions, as far as I know, is very discussed in some áreas of psychics (ex: string theory).
You can check documentaries about string theory on youtube.

Thinker

Postby Thinker » 11 Sep 2013 13:14

Peter wrote:If you want to start at the very beginning then what do you consider as real. Would a thought be real by your terms.

The question is more correctly is astral travel what you think it is - that will be hard to answer. Of course it is real, it has caused a reaction, some thoughts and some response in you body.

I forgot to reply in the other day and I would like to ^^.
I agree with you, tought is real, so we can say that what we dream is real, because it happens. Again, the problem is definition, in this case, defining the word real.
It is a matter of convenience to say real world opposed to dream world (at least for me), because, altought we know that a dream is real, we are not interacting with our frame of real world. I would say we are not interacting with matter, but of course, if we don't know if matter really exists and we are dreaming (like matrix), so I use the word frame, because is the world we take reference as real.

Return to “Dream Science”