Does anyone else hear voices in HI?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Does anyone else hear voices in HI?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 12 Sep 2013 22:11

Last night I heard a very clear voice say "I'm going to be able to talk to you from now on" The voice was not one I recognized, but it was kind of strange to hear it so clearly as if someone were standing right there talking. And of course it was also weird that the voice was saying it would be talking to me again. It did come back again later, but I can't remember what it said because I fell back asleep.

Apparently, hearing voices is not uncommon during HI, but entire sentences that make sense are less common. Does anyone else experience voices during HI and if so, what have they said?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jacob46719

Re: Does anyone else hear voices in HI?

Postby Jacob46719 » 13 Sep 2013 06:44

In HI I recently heard a guy that sounded like he was giving a lecture. I almost heard him well enough to remember what he said lol.
Never underestimate the power of the ponies.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 13 Sep 2013 21:42

I get this a lot too, although I can't remember any quotes :( I would class it as hypnogogia rather than HI, as technically it's not visual :P
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Sep 2013 00:22

That's right. Hypnagogia isn't always about visuals. And actually what I have written about below is technically Hypnopompia but there is a very fine line when you wake up and go back to sleep.

I sometimes hear voices talking as if a TV or radio was left on and they all overlap and I can't discern what they are saying. Other times I hear them cleary and even wrote down what they say, but unlike a regular DC I don't communicate and simply listen. Just like the visuals can be 2D and I am not 'IN' the dream, I watch it like a movie screen and hear talking as well without interacting with the voices.

I wrote about an experience I had:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13137

At the beginning of August I had one much like what you describe. I was 'between' lucid dreams and experiencing some of those vibrations and buzzing, when all of a sudden a voice spoke into my right ear as if there was someone right beside me! It was MY voice though. Not like hearing myself in my head, but like hearing myself the way I do watching home videos of me. (And we always feel our voices sound funny don't we?) The voice said, "I thought you were never going to smile again....." It's tone sounded menacing though and felt like someone was right there beside me whispering in my right ear. I got spooked and woke up.
I must admit I was smiling on the inside, knowing a lucid dream was going to kick in, and I tend to smile more in a lucid dream than in waking life. Not that I never smile in waking life, but I grin from ear to ear euphorically sometimes in a lucid dream, or knowing one is imminent. (If that's any interpretation). But I did manage to go to sleep and had a lucid dream later that morning anyway......
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Son Of Somnus

Postby Son Of Somnus » 14 Sep 2013 14:06

I almost always hear voices and sounds in HI, usually somebody talking bored, sometimes people I've met throughout my life yelling my name trying to catch my attention.

And as crazy as thing sounds, I sometimes start up conversations with these voices, sometimes they don't work but sometimes they do. It's a cool idea to try.
Am I dreaming? Is this a dream?
The next time I am dreaming, I will realise that I am dreaming.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Sep 2013 17:07

Son Of Somnus wrote:And as crazy as thing sounds, I sometimes start up conversations with these voices, sometimes they don't work but sometimes they do. It's a cool idea to try.

I have come to the conclusion that they are like any other Dream Character, but without any 'physical' form. Whatever brain process that generates DC's can generate a strictly audio version of a DC too.
So I believe it is possible to interact with the voices too, but as of yet, I have only listened.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Sep 2013 21:39

These voices are pretty much the same as a DC's, although normally without the visuals. So far I have only listened too, mainly because it's so close to being awake that almost anything makes me go back to a completely waken state. I would imagine it's hard to converse and stay in HI. It seems like it would be harder to converse during HI than in a dream.

I try to extend the HI phase by going in an out of it, making sure I don't fall asleep. The experiences are very interesting and intense, sometimes kind of psychedelic. For me the sounds can be the most intense, especially when some really loud sound such as glass breaking or a car horn invades a completely quiet background. Visuals can also be intense when there is a completely black background and suddenly this perfectly defined visual is right in your face with no warning. You can almost feel your head getting slammed into the seat back from the acceleration.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Sep 2013 22:26

I like to experience hypnogia and/or hypnopompia too.
I remember a post you made a while ago, Lucid In the Sky, and it was about "Don't give up when the visuals go away". When a lucid dream ends, I like to remain as still as possible and just let anything come to mind without forcing it. Sometimes I hear things, sometimes I see things, and sometimes I wake up to find myself in a false bed, and it becomes a false awakening turned lucid dream and I can keep going.

But whatever happens they are always interesting and although not a full blown 3D, interactive lucid dream, they are very interesting, and perhaps a great thing to explore to fully understand this phenomenon known as lucid dreaming, and perhaps one day, 'master it'. (If that's even possible.....)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 16 Sep 2013 22:55

Jacob46719 wrote:In HI I recently heard a guy that sounded like he was giving a lecture. I almost heard him well enough to remember what he said lol.

torakrubik wrote:I get this a lot too, although I can't remember any quotes :( I would class it as hypnogogia rather than HI, as technically it's not visual :P

One thing that's really frustrating is hearing what seems like a really deep and profound message and thinking to yourself, "Wow! I have to remember that, it's sounds really valuable." Then 5 seconds later "What the heck did they say?"

HAGART wrote:I like to experience hypnogia and/or hypnopompia too.
I remember a post you made a while ago, Lucid In the Sky, and it was about "Don't give up when the visuals go away". When a lucid dream ends, I like to remain as still as possible and just let anything come to mind without forcing it. Sometimes I hear things, sometimes I see things, and sometimes I wake up to find myself in a false bed, and it becomes a false awakening turned lucid dream and I can keep going.

But whatever happens they are always interesting and although not a full blown 3D, interactive lucid dream, they are very interesting, and perhaps a great thing to explore to fully understand this phenomenon known as lucid dreaming, and perhaps one day, 'master it'. (If that's even possible.....)

I lost visuals in my last lucid dream and waited for quite a while but the dream didn't come back, just ended up waking up. It also really matters when you enter the dream which is where WILD has an advantage over MILD which was what I used. As soon as I became lucid, I remembered the beginning part of the dream and realized it had already gone quite a while.

One interesting realization from last night's HI session. We know that everything in dreams comes from inside us, therefore internally produced, but HI has the distinct feeling of externally produced stimulation, at least that's how I experience it. It seems really separate from me and existing outside of me, just interesting to experience it that way. This idea popped into my head last night during HI. This is also a feature of lucid dreams vs. regular dreams.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Sep 2013 12:39

I tend to get voices about as much as I get visual images (both are rare for me). The last time I got the voices thing (probably last time was about 2mths ago), I was hearing several different people talking, the conversation they were having were clear but it was like I could only hear one side of the conversation eg someone would be talking to another but I couldnt hear who they were talking too. All these people were talking at the same too to unheard others. It was like I was hearing the neighours talking next door.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”