Dream Challenge: Taste

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
jmmc137

Dream Challenge: Taste

Postby jmmc137 » 12 Sep 2013 09:08

Hey there lucid dreamers. A while ago, I had a dream that I tasted something in a dream. It was some kind of abstract looking citrus fruit. It felt as though my taste buds functioned as well as they did in waking life.

Have a lucid dream and taste some food. Share it with me here.

Errevet

Re: Dream Challenge: Taste

Postby Errevet » 12 Sep 2013 10:44

I tried it just once till now, but i would like to try it more. This one time, i managed to eat a slice of hot, melting pizza in a lucid dream. The sensation of the pizza-structure on my tongue was stronger then the particular taste and the heat though.

usually, i have the impression that there is only one sense or a combination of two senses active in a dream at the same time. Mostly in my lucid dreams this depends on what i'm doing. If i fly, i have the gut feeling, sight ayband me some wind. If i have sex i have sight but then the touch is the dominant sense. When I was lucid during sleep paralysis the hearing sense was often dominant, etc.
But taste and smell are really not common in my dreams. The dominant is sight.
Maybe it is because in our society sight is the most important.

Another thought: particular smells and tastes trigger a particular emotion (dependable on ones past experiences) and in the dream state the same emotions appear, but without necessarily the physical smell or taste first?
I demand -"Help me pile up those palettes NOW!!"
he answers -"...almonds" ??

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Sep 2013 12:44

I think as far as senses go, it all depends on what you are focused on. If you are focused on tasting something or smelling something, you should then get that sense come in.

I once ate something in a lucid and it was so so wonderful tasting. So I set myself a challenge to find an icecream and make it taste the best ever, I failed thou. I found an icecream but when I tasted it, it was so standard that I then went and handed it to a DC to eat.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

tea

Postby tea » 20 Sep 2013 14:25

the only taste experience i can recall right now was in a non-lucid dream;

i was in some sort of bungalow, the home of a witch. she was not evil or anything, so as she hands me a bowl to drink from, i don't hesitate. first off: the liquid looked pretty much like the loading-spiral on apple computers;
but with only six colors
and the it was very viscous.

as i tilt the bowl, only the yellow part (which was closest to my face) begins to flow out. the other slices just stayed there, as if they were solid.

and MAN, THAT TASTE!!! although i had this dream when i was a little kid, i remember the taste as if it was last night. the liquid was warm and tasted very sweet - but in the end i really can't describe it.

oh boy..... thinking about it now, i'll definitely go find that witch (or bowl) again and taste the other slices!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 21 Sep 2013 07:55

In my first Lucid Dream, and one of my most successful, I ate sushi and a pizza slice but they tasted like nothing. Tips?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Sep 2013 23:53

Eating food is not a singular sensation and is far more than just tasting , Sweet, Bitter, ect.
Our sense of smell is also a big part of taste.
And our tongues (which are like a giant thumb in your mouth) also detect texture and heat.
Not to mention acidity which activates the saliva glands, and even pain in the presence of capsasin. (Spicy)

Come to think of it, eating uses just about all our senses doesn't it? Not surprising since it is so vital to our survival and eating the wrong thing can be deadly.

I have never had a lucid dream in which I ate something and felt ALL the sensations. I usually just stuff it in my mouth and it disappears and I get a sense of the flavor. I don't chew or swallow, but have since been getting better at it. I actually chewed some food once in a LD.

The ultimate challenge is to awaken all those senses and smell it, note the acidity or lack of, feel the texture in your mouth, sense the heat or cold of it. I want to try eating a spicy hot pepper in a dream and see what that does. Or cold ice cream. Or simply eat whatever the dream chooses to present me with.

This is a good challenge, and although I have done it before, there is always a higher level of tasting and eating in a lucid dream which I usually forget to do.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Guitar48300

Postby Guitar48300 » 22 Sep 2013 01:14

I've always wondered what would happen if I tasted something in a lucid dream Ive never tasted before in real life. Has anybody done this?
Roxas: Did you have fun chatting with the ghosts?
Sora: You shouldn't call them "ghosts". Sure something seemed a little off but I'm sure they're still my friends

-KH Re:coded
xat.com/luciddreamers if anyone wants to use it

Errevet

Postby Errevet » 22 Sep 2013 18:31

Guitar48300 wrote:I've always wondered what would happen if I tasted something in a lucid dream Ive never tasted before in real life. Has anybody done this?

Nope, never did that. I think this is pretty difficult to do, but if we are able to feel things that we have never felt before (like flying in open air, or put your finger through your hand palm), we should be able of imaging a taste that is 'not normal'. But than again the memory of this taste of the lucid dream could be different from the actual experience in the dream, or we could generate an emotional reaction to this lucid-taste, wich makes it more extraordinary then it really is (of course this doesn't make it less real, because the emotional reaction IS real, like in real life..)
I demand -"Help me pile up those palettes NOW!!"
he answers -"...almonds" ??

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Sep 2013 20:43

I ate something in a lucid dream that was new to me, and I had never seen. It was a plant I grew from my hand. Sounds strange, but here is the post I made in the LD Goal: grow an unknown seed thread:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13649

I ate the plant that I had just created.
Although I had never seen that plant before, the taste was reminiscent of real life food I have had before. It was like lettuce/baby spinach, but a lot juicier and thicker, and crispier. It was like water was squirting out of it as I chewed, and crunched it. (that was the ONE time I chewed my food in a LD that I mentioned earlier).

So although it was like foods I have had in real life, the dream put them together in a mix-matched way and it somehow worked and tasted delicious. I don't know of any leaf like that in real life.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Sep 2013 10:58

HAGART wrote:I ate the plant that I had just created.
Although I had never seen that plant before, the taste was reminiscent of real life food I have had before. It was like lettuce/baby spinach, but a lot juicier and thicker, and crispier. It was like water was squirting out of it as I chewed, and crunched it. (that was the ONE time I chewed my food in a LD that I mentioned earlier).

So although it was like foods I have had in real life, the dream put them together in a mix-matched way and it somehow worked and tasted delicious. I don't know of any leaf like that in real life.

That makes a lot of sense as I find with things i see in dreams, often my brain has gone and put different things together to make up a brand new thing eg a new kind of critter, so I guess that would apply to taste too putting things together to create a new one made of things one recognises and also possibly the same with other senses too such as hearing.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”