"How did you get here?" Listen to Cobb from Inception

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lucidinthe sky

"How did you get here?" Listen to Cobb from Inception

Postby lucidinthe sky » 21 Dec 2011 18:04

"You never really remember the beginning of a dream do you? You always wind up right in the middle of what's going on...Think about it Ariadne, how did you get here? Where are you right now?" These are words of wisdom for lucid dreamers. I must remember and meditate on these words before I go to sleep. I did the WILD method this morning and got so close being lucid, but I blew it because instead of asking how I got there which worked last time, I trusted my ability to evaluate my surroundings and concluded that it was not a dream. I was in a hospital and going to the pharmacy and when I looked at the door there was a misspelling and I thought "well it's only one letter off, but maybe it's dream" So I felt the walls, touched the door handles and looked around. Conclusion: No way, it's too real, it's not a dream. WRONG! Then I found a door with the correct spelling "O.K. there it is" I thought. Then I was even more convinced I was right. Another missed opportunity :( Listen to Cobb next time!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

TaoTeRazz

Re: "How did you get here?" Listen to Cobb from Inception

Postby TaoTeRazz » 25 Dec 2011 01:57

Careful now LSK. ;) Be careful not to get DILDs and WILDs mixed up. By definition, what you and the character Cobb was distinctly describing was a DILD as it is a Dream Induced Lucid Dream which asserts that there was a loss of Attention during the sleep process. In that event, one can only rely upon the hit or miss reliability of remembering a dreamsign or to check his or her reality during the dream experience in order to ascertain whether one is actually dreaming or not. A WILD on the other hand, one maintains their faculty of Attention beyond the sleep threshold for a seamless transition into the dreamscape and for me, unless I've had a dream experience during Sleep Time that I'd like to revisit, I'll always begin my dreams. So as far as I'm concerned, if anyone is intending to experience more than the hit or miss success rate of a DILD then I say, Don't listen to Cobb perfect a WILD.

TTR
Nosce te Ipsum

lucidinthe sky

Re: "How did you get here?" Listen to Cobb from Inception

Postby lucidinthe sky » 25 Dec 2011 02:57

Yes, thank you. I understand the difference between the WILD and DILD :) , but I have yet to get a seamless WILD. I'm working on it, but in the meantime I have to jump over the gap between the two. It's a very small one, almost not there, but still I haven't always made it. But then I've only tried about 6 or 7 times so I shouldn't complain about getting 2 successes. :) And my misses are very close so that's been encouraging. That said, I'll still take the occasional DILD, even if they are fairly random. I wouldn't want to give up the ones I've had, that's for sure. Dream reality and waking reality are almost identical for me so RCs are tough. I'd hate to have to rely on DILDs and I do agree with you that WILD is the best way in, even if it's not always seamless. Thanks for the advice.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”