Reality checks that go fail in the night (dream world)

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Reality checks that go fail in the night (dream world)

Postby lucidinthe sky » 28 Sep 2013 01:44

My normal reality check of looking at my hands failed for the second time at night with very little light. The first time I was outside and the moonlight was coming through the trees and the leaves were casting moving shadows on my hands making it really difficult to see. Last night it happened again in my bedroom when I got up. I went to window to use the light coming through to check my hands. All that could be seen was a silhouette of the fingers and they were all there. They were dreams in both cases and I missed out on being lucid. Has anyone else had this problem? I never thought about it, but what kind of RCs can you do in the dark? This seems like a bit of a challenge.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

bibi11

Re: Reality checks that go fail in the night (dream world)

Postby bibi11 » 28 Sep 2013 02:13

Hi there,

I humbly feel that you were lucid and the awareness of your hands in your dreams was enough to make it so. It was just that your attention seemed to be more focused on what your hands should look like...

keep at it for sure seems like progress

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Sep 2013 18:17

I had some reality checks fail before. What can you do in the dark? If it's a Dream Induced Lucid Dream you can always ask yourself, "Where was I 5 minutes ago, and how did I get here?"

But that doesn't always work either.
A few days ago, I had an OBE type lucid dream and felt very real. Much like a false awakening after the vibrations, and buzzing and all those weird sensations. I was pretty sure I was dreaming, but it was so real, I also thought I may have been sleep walking. My 'go to' RC is to make something move, and it doesn't work sometimes when the dream is very real.

What I did is, I simply got up from bed and walked out of my room, (awake or not), it didn't matter. I wasn't doing anything to harm myself. Then I went to my front door and opened it and looked out. Then I knew immediately it was a dream because I saw farm land and rolling hills. Nothing like my actual neighborhood. I then saw a small evergreen tree and mentally plucked it from the ground (making an object move) and then it worked and I was now positive I was dreaming.

So if it happens again, and you are already walking around, (going to a window for more light), try turning on your light, leave your room, walk around the house, look out the window or front door. Something is bound to be out of place and help you realize. And as long as you don't do anything foolish, the only downside is the possibility of being embarrassed. (It's hard to explain to others: "I could have sworn I was dreaming, but I just had to walk around the house to make sure." But that's all I or you would be doing and no harm done). Just embarrassment, but as of yet I have never 'lucid slept walked' even though it truly feels that way sometimes.

I didn't answer the question though and that's because I don't know. What reality check CAN you do in the dark? Internal mental logic ones are unreliable. (How did I get here? I just woke up, that's why. And sometimes we come up with false memories or crazy logic to justify how we got here or why there is a chimpanzee at the window (true dream story. There was a monkey at my window and I didn't find it odd at all)). SO I am curious and I'll try and think of one myself.

What's the best RC to use without the need for vision?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 29 Sep 2013 20:59

Yeah, I've had this problem. :/ I do two checks in case one has a situation in which it may fail. Have you tried plugging you nose, closing your mouth, and trying to breathe? This almost always works with me and is a good reality check to do in the dark. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Sep 2013 21:45

Vonozar wrote:Have you tried plugging you nose, closing your mouth, and trying to breathe?

That's a good one. I've actually never done that, but I've heard about it many times before.

I was thinking about this problem more and basically we/you need to do something that uses other senses instead of just sight. Looks can be deceiving. In fact ALL senses can be.

So the breathing test is a good one. It defies the laws of physics so easily and simply without the need for visual cues. I should get in the practice of doing that.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”