Is Astral Projection Real?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

What do you think about Astral Projection?

I am neutral, never tried doing it before.
35%
It might be real, though I am unsure if there is a difference between it and lucid dreaming.
17%
It is real, I have had one/several before.
13%
Astral Projection is just another lucid dream in my opinion.
35%

Total votes: 23

ESPer

Re: Is Astral Projection Real?

Postby ESPer » 27 Sep 2013 00:41

As I read the comments I keep coming back to the same thing... these are people that have obviously never experienced an OBE. You can try to use big words until you wear your Thesaurus thin, it doesn't make you a scientist or your viewpionts any more valid than the next persons. Personal experience trumps all else. And since truth is as subjective as those experiences, nothing we say here matters.

Even if science did some day say "we have the answer", I wouldn't automatically yield to it. Even many of our so called "laws", I wonder if they really apply 100% of the time. There would be places in our universe (or elsewhere) where things don't react in the same manner as they do in our neck of the cosmos. That is an example of the closemindedness that comes along with science that I have a problem with. Then as more information comes along... information that may contradict previous findings, these mens egos are too thick to acknowledge it and admit that they were wrong. Ego and science seem mutually exclusive, and that's what makes it fallible by nature. And this attitude comes across strongly in Summerlander's rantings. Coincidence?... I think not.
*Insert Clever Comment Here*

Peter

Postby Peter » 27 Sep 2013 01:39

At the risk of being boring I will go back to my view that projection is real in any sense of the world BUT it might not be the event that you think or want or believe it to be.

Its all back to the where does it happen, internal or external to your mind. If this is solved to the satisfaction of everyone then the rest will follow easily.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 27 Sep 2013 02:25

Peter wrote:At the risk of being boring I will go back to my view that projection is real in any sense of the world BUT it might not be the event that you think or want or believe it to be.

Its all back to the where does it happen, internal or external to your mind. If this is solved to the satisfaction of everyone then the rest will follow easily.

I think that sums up my opinion on the matter. Some of my experiences with lucid dreaming and OBE are just as real as my waking life experiences so for me it not a matter of if these experiences take place, but rather where these experiences take place. Other dimensions/universes may exist and it may be possible to go there without your physical body. If these places do exist outside the dimension of our physical world, I remain unconvinced that it is possible to connect the two, IE. astral project and interact with our physical world. Of course I keep an open mind and I will conduct my own non-scientific experiments. If I am ever able to do (and more than once) that will be enough proof for me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Sep 2013 05:07

Don't bash Summerlander, he is just trying to uphold the scientific method.
With (I must admit) extremely verbose language. (I can't read all that and I won't try)

When it comes to US in this forum, not being scientists, and not under laboratory conditions, anecdotal evidence must be permissible.

Take it or leave it. But that's the best we can do.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 27 Sep 2013 05:53

I have no problem with the scientific method but in my simple world I say do not talk about the process just get the results and let them speak.

Its been a good thread
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

ESPer

Postby ESPer » 28 Sep 2013 07:24

[quote="HAGART"]Don't bash Summerlander, he is just trying to uphold the scientific method.
With (I must admit) extremely verbose language. (I can't read all that and I won't try)

When it comes to US in this forum, not being scientists, and not under laboratory conditions, anecdotal evidence must be permissible.

Take it or leave it. But that's the best we can do.[/quote]

Sorry, I'm new here. I didn't know that he/she was allowed to openly talk down condescendingly to other people without any fear of rebuttal. I will adjust my demeanor accordingly.

And if you claim not to get that from their posts I wonder how objective and honest you're really being.
*Insert Clever Comment Here*

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 28 Sep 2013 07:44

Let's do some science here, to achieve an OBE, can it be any time of day, or does it help to do it during your REM cycle?
Do a reality check

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Sep 2013 16:58

To ESPer:

Perhaps I have grown accustomed to Summerlander's antics and the way he talks down to others who don't view things his way. I let it roll of my back, but I can see how you have every right to be annoyed. And if you have a good comeback that puts him in his place, I'm all for that!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Sep 2013 19:12

Lol! Thanks for that, Hagart! :-D

It is true that science does not have all the answers. But to shoot it down is a bit hypocritical when it has done so much for us. Also, to use a "God of the Gaps-like" argument to justify the existence of an astral realm is extremely weak. There are many theories for the things we can't yet explain that don't involve the supernatural. Especially when we speculate about what might be going on in another neck of the cosmic woods. Lol!

Surely, the astral scenario should be the last claim rather than the first...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 28 Sep 2013 19:44

HAGART wrote:To ESPer:

Perhaps I have grown accustomed to Summerlander's antics and the way he talks down to others who don't view things his way. I let it roll of my back, but I can see how you have every right to be annoyed. And if you have a good comeback that puts him in his place, I'm all for that!

I feel exactly the same way haha. I almost posted something similar but I couldn't word it right! And I don't even really agree with him and I can say this so I'd say I'm being objective and honest enough.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “Dream Science”