Nasa Physicist Tom Campbell on alternate realities

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
deschainXIX

Re: Nasa Physicist Tom Campbell on alternate realities

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Oct 2013 20:58

Summerlander wrote:Are ants even...conscious?

I think they were just talking about the way their routines are organized in comparison to human societies. But, no I don't think they're conscious.
At least, the way we currently define consciousness. But that could, of course, change, as we don't know what it is exactly.
But I think that if you don't have Theory of Mind, you're not conscious.
Well said.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Oct 2013 01:02

I agree ^^!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Carlos

Postby Carlos » 17 Sep 2014 01:29

Among the variety of things I may easily rebut, only this one about the scientific method:

<<Meanwhile, his scientific peers are laughing at him and shaking their heads - especially when he criticises the scientific method itself.>>

Never the traditional scientific method will be able to find ultimate truths due to a quite simple reason, namely, that it is dependent upon external observation alone, and therefore any improvement as to skill in such kind of observation may challenge previous findings.

For someone so prone to cling to what is considered as the sole existent logic it should be easy to understand that my above statement is absolutely unquestionable.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Oct 2014 21:40

What do you mean by "external observation." If you mean objectively corroborating evidence, then that is a strength, not a weakness. We are lucky to be able to establish some understanding of objective reality. There are many things that we can agree on about reality (even if sometimes interpretations differ) because we practically perceive the same things.

So I really don't know what you are getting at there buddy. If anything, the opposite of what you say is true. You can already imagine a solipsistic scenario where all that you know is that which you perceive and you have no one to corroborate the veracity of your conclusions. Imagine living in a world where you are the only inhabitant. You would be wondering how accurate your perception is against reality and whether or not all illusions can be unravelled by yourself.

You could establish your own science to study your world. But it would be a limited one indeed. You wouldn't even be able to examine the human brain objectively for you would be the only human being and thus the only brain required to perceive.

Thomas Campbell claims his sleep hallucinations (dreams, lucid dreams, OOBEs) support the existence of a nonphysical (whatever this means) reality which makes the afterlife possible. Other scientists, like LaBerge, experience what he does and have a more mundane interpretation strengthened by evidence and reason. (Not mysticism, mumbo-jumbo, fairytales and pseudoscience.)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”