I'm Greg - Experimenting in dream-creativity

Drop a line here to introduce yourself! Let us know your background, where you're from in the world, your lucid goals.
Greg-Funk

I'm Greg - Experimenting in dream-creativity

Postby Greg-Funk » 02 Oct 2013 14:08

Hello people!

My name's Greg, (from the UK) and I write an entertaining dream blog full of re-occurring themes, dream-time-travel and occasional lucid dreams. www.thesoundofthecabbageroar.com

But currently I'm interested in experimenting with 'dream-like creativity' in the real world. I want to see if it is possible to apply the subconscious creativity of the mind to various art forms. The more that I describe my dreams to other people, the more I have come to realise how many incredibly inspired and original creative ideas occur whilst asleep. But why does my creativity feel less fluid and natural when I am awake? Why do I need to have an 'idea' in the real world, when in the dream I've already experienced the 'idea' without consciously realising it?

I want to see how the creativity of dreams relate to real-life improvisations in various arts forms. Through experimenting with lucid dreaming, and also through meditation and mind training, I want to see if it is possible to blur the lines between 'asleep' and 'awake' with regards to creativity.

I've been thinking of certain experiments you can do in the real world, (with friends who understand the concept of what you're doing) things like:

- Tell a short story to someone, but you have to make the whole thing up on the spot, and you are not allowed to pause or even consider what you are saying, and anything goes. You have to remain emotionally neutral to the story itself, as if you are not allowed to judge your own story telling. The story just has to happen. Then visualise everything you have created as vividly as you can in your mind.

- Shut your eyes and create an environment out of nowhere that doesn't exist in the real world. Bowling alley in the bathroom - Bouncy Castle that's the size of a real castle - that sort of thing. But imagine everything about it, the smell, the ambience.

- Musical challenges such as: You have to write and record a song in thirty minutes from start to finish, but you have to stick with and use every single idea you have without judging it, i.e. the first chords you play are the ones you'll use, the first lyrics and melody you thought up are already set in stone and cannot be changed. You are not allowed to even think of such concepts as; 'This might sound rubbish', or 'this is not working' until after the piece is finished.

- Improvised discussions with an imaginary version of yourself from the future who's just appeared in the kitchen whilst you're getting breakfast. "Greg from the past, listen to me! You need to change the future. In order to save the world, whatever you do, don't have toast."

Some of this might sound a bit crazy I know, but I'm interested in approaching real life with this overly fluid sense of creativity, where there is no 'right' or 'wrong', it's just a place where 'stuff happens'. So a lot like dreams.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this sort of thing, and let me know if you've had any interesting natural-flowing day-time creativity. Plus I like reading about other people's dreams too.

Sweet dreams legends.
G

HAGART

Re: I'm Greg - Experimenting in dream-creativity

Postby HAGART » 02 Oct 2013 15:44

Greg-Funk wrote:- Tell a short story to someone, but you have to make the whole thing up on the spot, and you are not allowed to pause or even consider what you are saying, and anything goes. You have to remain emotionally neutral to the story itself, as if you are not allowed to judge your own story telling. The story just has to happen. Then visualise everything you have created as vividly as you can in your mind.

This is essentially what a dream is isn't it.
You can do this alone with a paper and pencil too. I did this same thing once in High School writing class and it was suppose to generate ideas for stories. You just write whatever comes to mind and don't judge it.

But really it's a window to your subconscious thoughts. I think we continue thinking/dreaming subconsciously all day, but it is only in the back of our minds and we don't realize it unless we actually focus on it. Then when we sleep, since there is nothing else to occupy our rational, cognitive mind, the subconscious images and ideas are far more apparent.

But they were there the whole time, and unlocking them when awake may open the door to a wealth of creativity.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”