Finally had a lucid dream, but...

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Philemon

Finally had a lucid dream, but...

Postby Philemon » 08 Oct 2013 14:48

Hi all,

I'm new here after getting a suggestion from someone over at the Skeptiko forum to come check out this forum.

I've been taking a fairly disciplined approach to having a lucid dream for the past month. I've been working with a book called "A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming: Mastering the Art of Oneironautics" and have been "reality checking" throughout the day, looking at my hands and then trying to pass my right index finger through my left hand. Well, last night, I finally performed this reality check in a dream. However, my finger DID NOT pass through my hand. Nonetheless, I knew I was dreaming, and tried to pass my finger through my hand several more times - to no avail. It felt as solid as ever. I then decided to try flying - and here the lucidity (or the memory) begins to fade out. When I woke up I had the distinct sense that I had been flying - which helped me to remember that I had performed the reality check in a dream and had known that I was dreaming.

Is this true that one should be able to pierce one's hand with their finger in a lucid dream? I'm thinking I may need to turn to some other reality check method that will not cause me to become confused in the dream state, as this experience didn't help me launch into a lucid dream in the way I had been expecting, but rather left me sort of perplexed.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
-P

lucidinthe sky

Re: Finally had a lucid dream, but...

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Oct 2013 15:04

Congrats on the lucid dream.

Everyone is different when it comes to reality checks. Some people, like me can't push their fingers through their hand so that might not work for you either. I almost always have a different number of fingers on my hand or they are deformed so that works for me. Just found out recently that I could push my hand through solid objects, it just took more force than I had applied in the past. Might try the finger through the hand check again, just push harder. Try to find what works for you. Good luck.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Philemon

Postby Philemon » 08 Oct 2013 16:12

Hi lucidinthe sky,

Thanks for your response. I actually have been looking at my hands as a "back up" to the "finger through the palm" trick, and I recall when I looked at my hand last night that my palm seemed ruddier than normal - perhaps in reaction to pressing my finger into it repeatedly. In waking life, my palm remains the same color. This helped me remain confident that I was dreaming but, otherwise, my hands looked "normal" - I don't recall seeing any additional fingers or disfigurement. A friend of mine who practiced the Castaneda "look at your hands!" approach tells me his hands are always disfigured in his dreams. The major thing that kept me confident I was in a dream was the odd light that permeated the space I was in - a room-like atmosphere, or cube of dull, cool light.

Any other "reality check" techniques would be appreciated. I obviously have to change it up - but I'm encouraged by this breakthrough (at last!).

-P

Mandela554

Postby Mandela554 » 28 Oct 2013 07:51

It sounds like the dream is symbolically reflecting your disappointment with not getting to lucid dream. Hear me out. Hands in dreams could symbolize your capability. Flying represents freedom to do what you want. You find that the reality check doesn't work and when you try to fly it doesn't work. If Lucid dreaming is something you are starting to get serious about then the dream may be a sign that you are possibly frustrated or bothered by not getting a good lucid dream.

charmingamy

Postby charmingamy » 05 Dec 2013 16:18

I pinch myself and it doesnt hurt. Im not sure if this is officialy qualified as a reality check but it is just like that. I also walk through walls.if i go through means im dreaming.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 05 Dec 2013 22:06

Philemon wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here after getting a suggestion from someone over at the Skeptiko forum to come check out this forum.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Philemon wrote:Is this true that one should be able to pierce one's hand with their finger in a lucid dream? I'm thinking I may need to turn to some other reality check method that will not cause me to become confused in the dream state, as this experience didn't help me launch into a lucid dream in the way I had been expecting, but rather left me sort of perplexed.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
-P

Yeah, I have problems with this one too. Different reality checks work for different people. You really need to find one that doesn't confuse you. I recommend doing a set of at least two checks every time you preform a reality check. This way if one of the checks fails or leaves you a bit confused, you have another as a back-up (which it looks like you're doing with the hands reality check). Here's a copy-and-paste list of reality checks from Rebecca's website.

1.Breathe - Can you hold your nose and mouth shut and breathe?
2.Jump - When you jump, do you float back down?
3.Read - Can you read a sentence twice without it changing?
4.Look - Is your vision clearer or blurrier than normal?
5.Hand - Can you push hand through a solid surface?
6.Time - Can you read a clock face or digital watch?
7.Fly - Can you will yourself to fly or hover above the ground?
8.Palms - Do the palms of your hands look normal close-up?
9.Mirrors - Does your reflection look normal in the mirror?
10.Math - Can you add up two numbers for a correct answer?

There are a couple I can add to this. Try turning on or off a light switch. Often times this either doesn't work, or it will cause something unexpected to happen. For example I did this the other day, and instead of turning off a light a fan appeared out of nowhere and turned on. Similar to the hand one, look at any scars or birthmarks you may have that are easily visible. You may find that they are nowhere to be found or look quite different than normal.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”