A couple questions

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
btharpedo

A couple questions

Postby btharpedo » 12 Oct 2013 03:57

Hi, I'm new and I have a couple questions.

When using the wake back to bed method, is it possible to use the WILD technique when returning to bed or should I stick with MILD?

On my second night of attempting lucid dreaming, I tried to the use the MILD technique with WBTB. I lied awake for hours and probably only slept for 4 hours. Is this normal? Any suggestions of what I may have done wrong?

I have also heard that after a night of alcohol, marijuana use, or just plain lack of sleep would disable REM that night but your body would respond the next night with a REM rebound to make up for the previous night's shortage. A rem rebound supposedly increases vividness in dreams and I was wondering if there is any validity to this?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

HAGART

Re: A couple questions

Postby HAGART » 12 Oct 2013 04:26

I can attest that REM rebound works.
You can induce this by simply getting up an hour or two earlier than normal, so you are still rested enough. Then it catches up with you the next day. If you go to bed an hour or two earlier the next day you will WBTB earlier too. (If you naturally WBTB that is, after the first sleep period). Then when I go back to sleep I am very awake during a period my body is normally in a deep sleep so the dreams do tend to be longer and more vivid. Plus I get more quantity of them too, so the chances of becoming lucid is increased as well.

I personally just get DILDs which I then try to prolong and deepen, but WILD, MILD or any "ILD" is best done after WBTB before REM dream sleep. As for staying up for hours. I usually just give up and go to sleep, or if I can't I get up for a while until I am tired again, and let the REM rebound kick in again the next day, go to bed earlier and start over again.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

btharpedo

Postby btharpedo » 12 Oct 2013 04:52

Interesting, thanks for a helpful and prompt reply. I find it curious that a rem rebound can help with lucidity as I have read that sleep deprivation can hinder the process. I suppose an hour or two of sleep lost wouldn't be detrimental every once in a while.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 12 Oct 2013 15:31

btharpedo wrote:Hi, I'm new and I have a couple questions.

When using the wake back to bed method, is it possible to use the WILD technique when returning to bed or should I stick with MILD?

On my second night of attempting lucid dreaming, I tried to the use the MILD technique with WBTB. I lied awake for hours and probably only slept for 4 hours. Is this normal? Any suggestions of what I may have done wrong?

I have also heard that after a night of alcohol, marijuana use, or just plain lack of sleep would disable REM that night but your body would respond the next night with a REM rebound to make up for the previous night's shortage. A rem rebound supposedly increases vividness in dreams and I was wondering if there is any validity to this?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I can attest to marijuana causing major REM rebound, but it dosnt happen a day later it happens that night still.
Like if I smoke all day and night, I usually won't have any dreams at all Intill after 5 hours of sleep, this is because after five hours all the effects of the days and nights smoking are gone, and then BAM.

After 5 hours I have the craziest vivid dreams nonstop Intill I wake up. Usually most of them are lucid, and the REM rebound from the marijuana is why!

But I actually just finally quit, so soon ill see how nights without REM rebound are!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Oct 2013 15:41

btharpedo wrote:I have read that sleep deprivation can hinder the process

Well, sleep deprivation is not a good thing and can be very unhealthy. But a little REM deprivation in the morning isn't so bad. You should still make sure you get your 'restorative sleep'. Whenever I am dream deprived it is not on purpose, so it's not an intentional technique I use, but I have noticed it does come back stronger when I get a good sleep again.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”