I need help :(

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
pabrikpick

I need help :(

Postby pabrikpick » 29 Dec 2011 15:26

Hello

im new here, and i have a deep interest in lucid dreaming, i'll have to apologize before, im gonna tell you a short story about myself before asking the question.

i moved to australia from indonesia to pursue my academic career. i managed to get to the university i want, and i live alone in my studio apartment. im quite happy in the first 2-3 weeks. but something happened, i feel lonely, and i feel like i have lost all of my will power for some reason. i began to skip classes, abandoning my activities, even my hobbies. im not distracted by anything, im just simply having mental breakdowns, its like i dont even know my purpose anymore, i tried to read motivational books but still, i dont have the will power to do everything that the book suggest me to do.
its like as if i lost every essence of life. i tried EVERYTHING to get my willpower back, but nothing seem to work... all i do is sleep and contemplate. im not enjoying myself because of the freedom of a first year uni student. im just deeply depressed..

then i had this dream, one dream, i met myself in my dream, and i asked myself. "what the hell is wrong with my life? with OUR life?". my other self did not answer anything, he was just simply pointing his finger towards my face.. i was shocked, and then i woke up just like that. the dream was blurry, but i remember meeting my other self CLEARLY. i decided to google everything about dreaming, and i found this site. i learned that lucid dreaming is a very useful skill to access your subconscious mind. finally, i decided to study lucid dreaming and im going to give it all i got.. and hopefully, this will work.

(sorry for the story.. i just had to tell it to somebody, and i dont have much friends since im not of this country..)

and then i tried to google everything about dreaming, and i found this site. the questions are :

1. can i fix my depression?
2. can i meet my "other self" again?
3. how long does it take to have my first lucid dream?
4. what do you think about the "fast track" ebook? do you recommend it?
5. im a musician, can lucid dreaming help me in any way?

Thank you so much for your time reading my boring post, im so enthusiast to learn about lucid dreaming, im waiting for everyone's answer. once again, thanks you.

Regards.

lucidinthe sky

Re: I need help :(

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Dec 2011 18:04

Hello and welcome to the group.

I think your dream is telling you that you need to look inside yourself to find the answer. This is probably no big surprise. I'm wondering if the course in life you chose is really what "you" wan't to do or you are forcing yourself to do something that you don't have your heart in. I'm guessing that you're fairly young and maybe you just need to listen to your heart more. Just a thought. In any case, you might look for some counseling to help you figure that out, sometimes it's hard to do alone, especially if you have few people you can talk to.

As far as lucid dreams go, I think they can be a tool to help us understand ourselves and deal with repressed issues, but I wouldn't expect them to cure depression or tell you what's wrong with your life. That's unrealistic. I would suggest working on those things during your waking life. Besides, it can take a while to learn how to lucid dream and you shouldn't wait for that. The time it takes really depends on the person and the commitment to learn it. I have spent 2 years on and off, but I have to say that when I got serious, I learned it in around 2 months. But it still takes a while from when yuou learn it, to when you have them on a regular basis. Good luck with your life and lucid dreaming.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 29 Dec 2011 18:08

1. As i'm not a doctor, i couldn't say. However lucid dreams are great fun and i would imagine they would benefit you.
2. Yes, probably. It will take practice to revisit your other self at will though.
3. Varies from person to person. For me it was a few weeks, but i've heard it can take months. Stick at it!
4. Never tried it
5. Quite possibly. perhaps new ideas can come to you in dreams :)
Dreaming is my drug

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 30 Dec 2011 02:48

1. Sure! Worked for me. I used to be a downright gloomy guy... lucid dreaming is a great outlet for anger, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc.
2.Yep! You can ask the dream to show you your inner self. :o
3. What they said. ;)
4. Well if you don't want to constantly visit the Internet for info about lucid dreaming, then yes.
5. You can practice things in lucid dreams and get better at them (eg music). You can also find inspiration in lucid dreams (eg show me something amazing!).
PS: lucid dreaming CAN tell you what's wrong with your life...
Sweet dreams,
jamjam

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 30 Dec 2011 06:47

pabrikpick wrote:
i moved to australia from indonesia to pursue my academic career... something happened, i feel lonely, and i feel like i have lost all of my will power for some reason. i began to skip classes, abandoning my activities, even my hobbies. im not distracted by anything, im just simply having mental breakdowns, its like i dont even know my purpose anymore...
its like as if i lost every essence of life. i tried EVERYTHING to get my willpower back, but nothing seem to work... all i do is sleep and contemplate. im not enjoying myself because of the freedom of a first year uni student. im just deeply depressed...

then i had this dream, one dream, i met myself in my dream, and i asked myself. "what the hell is wrong with my life? with OUR life?". my other self did not answer anything, he was just simply pointing his finger towards my face.. i was shocked, and then i woke up just like that. the dream was blurry, but i remember meeting my other self CLEARLY.

(sorry for the story.. i just had to tell it to somebody, and i dont have much friends since im not of this country..)

and then i tried to google everything about dreaming, and i found this site. the questions are :

Thank you so much for your time reading my boring post, im so enthusiast to learn about lucid dreaming, im waiting for everyone's answer. once again, thanks you.

Regards.

1. Yes, you're homesick,so make new friends, find anything that distracts you from yourself and do it. Motivational books will not help you nor will lucid dreaming. Your dream has told you quite correctly that you're the problem. You can continue to be what you are now or change yourself or your circumstances hoping for a change, you may also go to a psychiatrist and get pumped up with drugs. Those are your options, they all can work, they all can fail-time to be an adult and alter reality rather than accepting just what you're being given by life.

2. Most likely you can meet yourself again in a dream.

3. How long does it take to get a woman in the sack- a question just as silly as yours- it takes how long it takes. One can't put it on a time table and say next Friday I plan on having a lucid dream and really expect to have it then.

4 Am completely independent of the books written on lucid dreaming...so can't give you a book review or recommendation.

5. Anything one does waking may be done and studied sleeping and the subconscious mind has more information and creativity than the conscious mind.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 02 Jan 2012 17:20

I don't know. I am depressed, too, and I don't think it's because of some chemical imbalance, either. I am just lonely most of the time, so of course I am sad, too. Aside from drawing, none of my friends share ANY of the same interests as me. Not to be a dooms sayer, but I think the life of a dedicated dreamer might be among the loneliest roads traveled. Most people either give up on them, or don't give them any credit.

Definitely, but don't hold your breath. I've been recording my dreams for around 25 years, and have rarely ever done it.

I didn't know what one was when I had my first lucid dream, so I couldn't say. In my case I usually just sponteneously realize I am dreaming.

I don't know what that is, but anything promising fast results, in my experience, isn't going to work. I would not go so far as saying it never works for anyone, or that there is no value in such things, but in my case they have not worked, and I've read lots of books on the subject. I do find that just keeping dreams in mind, talking about them (if you can find anyone who will listen without rolling their eyes at you), reading about them, and studying dream techniques will up your chances of having lucid dreams.

I wish I could read and write music, I've heard some spectacular symphonies in my dreams, and wished that I could bring them to life somehow. Try to pretend, when you're playing music, that you're playing something a dream. See if that creates some sort of spring board into actual lucid dreaming.

Return to “For Beginners”