Nintendo is Secretly training Us.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
AceOfSpades

Nintendo is Secretly training Us.

Postby AceOfSpades » 07 Oct 2013 07:26

Ok this is gonna sound completely crazy. But I think that video games are designed to not only prepare us for the real world. But also compel us to save it. Nintendo specifically.

Before you argue, that they are either the following:
1. Time wasting entertainment.
2. Another form of art.
3. Not real and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Hear me out.

When the game business started, games like Pong, Space Invaders and mostly atari stuff, was all about pointless fun and entertainment like keeping score in sports. The same way we as kids of all generations often have fun. Then Companies like Nintendo and Sega rolled around and introduced us to a new way of gaming, telling stories, while having fun in them. In Sega's case it was merely fantasy adventure with no real relatable characters until the 90s era. Whilst Nintendo who also did fantasy adventure, made it as realistic as possible for the limited graphics and software.

For example, the Characters are mostly human with real jobs and life based responsibilities.

Mario is a Plumber.
Link is a handyman.
Ness is a School Kid.
Starfox is a soldier.

Yet when danger strikes they all drop what they are doing and go to assist in anyway they can.

We as gamers transitioned from pointless fun, to actually doing something meaningful. Pretty much growing up in a nutshell.

LucidLink

Re: Nintendo is Secretly training Us.

Postby LucidLink » 07 Oct 2013 11:52

Last edited by LucidLink on 07 Oct 2013 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Oct 2013 16:10

What happened is games have more of a storyline now.
Pong had no story, and the players had to use their imagination to find it fun. (What a waste of energy! Who needs... 'imagination'....?)

Newer games do it all for us and create plots and story lines to mask the fact that it is just a game similar to all others. There are no NEW games, just new stories.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 08 Oct 2013 06:32

Ya but my point in all this is that Nintendo might be trying to tell us something the question is what. Their commercial games when they got started out didn't glorify brave knights or superheroes, but everyday people like you and me. Take Zelda Twilight Princess for example, in that game there are knights and royalty that bravely fight wars (for the most part.) and maintain order in Hyrule. But when things really go down all it took was a kid whom before the call to adventure hit him; spent his time wrestling sheep and babysitting children. Why else would said kid be praised more over knights and royalty? Because he is Us.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Oct 2013 19:27

I think these games are the forerunners of virtual reality simulators.

AceOfSpades wrote:Ok this is gonna sound completely crazy. But I think that video games are designed to not only prepare us for the real world. But also compel us to save it. Nintendo specifically.

Maybe they are preparing us for the simulated world of virtual reality, but actually, I don't think we need any preparation, we are waiting for them to catch up with us.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

mikeg313

Postby mikeg313 » 12 Oct 2013 06:04

I think many of us are already prepared for many various events. When we need to fly a plane, many of us have done it on a simulator. FPS games have prepared us for war even though none of us have never used a real gun. and so on. We are prepared for anything because we have done it already in our living rooms and bedrooms.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 12 Oct 2013 07:46

Exactly why else is it that Military and Civilian training centers often have a simulator. NASA for example had Simulators long before VR even existed, they were compiled of using real controls on a scale model of the ship they planned on going on. As well as cameras simulating the window views.

Hell the famous RPG Earthbound used real life events in Shigesato Itoi's life. Their Happy Happy village was based on a real life cult.

Seoaros

Postby Seoaros » 12 Oct 2013 18:42

argfnj m,k
Last edited by Seoaros on 13 Oct 2016 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Oct 2013 20:16

This all reminds me of an episode of Cowboy Bebop. Episode 23: Brain Scratch----(Dr. Londes, The leader of the religious cult Scratch, has a large bounty on his head, and Faye joins the cult to get to the bounty. Spike takes to the streets in an effort to get to Dr. Londes while Jet and Ed buy a video game that the cult members use to ascend into the digital being. ) <-- I copied and pasted that synopses.

If anyone else has seen that... Hmmmmm..... makes you think don't it?!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 14 Oct 2013 06:28

Aside from Mushroom Samba I never seen much of Bebop, but ya it does make you think. But still after watching a video by Nostalgia Critic called "Are Video Games Art." (Good video by the way.) It got me thinking about games in general. Sure TV shows break the fourth wall from kids to adult shows and even ask the audience to try to help them out in the former. And movies try to bring us into the experience using 3-D technology. However games are the only thing that gets their target audience involved every step of the way. By controlling the character, solving certain puzzles, fighting enemies, avoiding obstacles and overall treating the entire experience like it really happened. And in a way it did. Why would the Zelda series have a name selector? Because Link is us. The name itself means the player is connected to the character he is playing as well as the characters his character is helping. Why is he not talking vocally in the game? Because we are talking through him, with the actions in the game, as well as the odd occasion where we yell at the screen to further motivate us into winning. Earthbound even took it a step further by asking the player's real name in the middle of the game. We never knew what that was for until the very end when the characters pray to us to help them beat Giygas. Even something as mundane as Metroid's big reveal of Samus being a girl is part of it too. By the time we found out, we have already beaten the game and could care less about her gender as we helped her destroy Mother Brain.

Return to “Off-Topic”