Please Do Be Careful with the B-6!!!

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
StarShiner

Please Do Be Careful with the B-6!!!

Postby StarShiner » 13 Oct 2013 13:01

Hello.

I am not trying to scare anyone but I do wish to post about the ill-effects of taking large amounts of supplemental B-6 (please note that the RDA recommended for adults as to this vitamin is only 1.3 mg).

I have been interested in nutrition for a good long time but had not brushed up on new information regarding this vitamin, which was, once thought NOT to be toxic.

For non-lucid dreaming reasons (to help to treat what was a very painful and debilitating pinched nerve), I was told by a physiotherapist to take higher amounts of this vitamin (100 mg. which I have noticed, is what some of you are taking in order to 'trip out' and 'go lucid').

I did this for a period of 6-7 months and was not aware at the time, that an initial outbreak of uncharacteristic acne and numbness in my toes, after two weeks of being on this vitamin were a signs that my body was not adjusting to it, but was more getting far too much B-6.

However, those effects did wear off after a week or so and I had chalked them up to having been under a lot of stress.

So I continued taking this vitamin. Mind you, yes I was going lucid and while those instances of lucidity had increased, I tend to go lucid anyway and have since I was a teenager. Frankly, no amount of lucidity was worth what physical effects were to come.

I had started taking the B-6 in late July, or early August of 2011. By December, I was REALLY starting to have some issues. Because of other elements at the time, I still was not aware it was the B-6 causing what were: a secondary bout of acne and this time, one that was not going away, brittle fingernails, the start of migraine headaches (very, very bad ones which caused me to vomit and practically pass out from the pain) numbness and tingling in my extremities, severe hormonal fluxes, a pimply-like rash across my chest--and oh yes, hypersensitive skin).

By January of that year, I 'twigged' however. I then read some information (in a book and NOT online) that told me I was suffering from B-6 toxicity.

It is nearly two years later and I am still suffering some ill-effects left over from taking this vitamin at 100 mg. a day. My skin is still hypersensitive and tends to break out at certain times of the month when this was seldom an issue before, my toes still have a tendency to go numb and tingle at odd times, my nails are still weak and heck, if I so much as eat a more substantial amount of phyto-estrogenic foods (like flaxseeds, sesame seeds, chickpeas, soya)--my hormones go amok and take a month or two to calm back down. These are foods I ate often of all the time for years--before the B-6--with no ill-effects.

By the way, I have had blood work which ruled out any other causes for the above issues. I did have some nutrient profiles taken and my B-6 amount were soaring at the time.

So then be aware that you can absolutely end up toxic on this vitamin and there are more severe cases than mine where some people are even struggling to walk since B-6, in higher doses, can affect the nervous and muscular systems in sugh a significant way as to cause problems with gait and muscle control. This vitamin is NOT flushed out with urine and sweat, etc. as many of its other B-vitamin cousins are. In the bloodstream, B-6 has a half-life of three weeks. But all the excess does not just 'disappear'. It is stored in the muscle and in nerves, potentially causing some serious damage that can make for quite a slow recovery.

Please remember that and if you are going to take these higher doses (which I do not recommend) to proceed with the utmost caution. I more feel one should start slowly and build up from there, rather than automatically taking the grotesque amount of 100 mg. a day. That is an overdose. Just because something is natural and/or a vitamin does not make it safe. With B-6, I read that if one requires higher does, it is best to stay around the 25 mg. mark (per day) and only for no longer than a 6-month period. My sister took 100 mg. to help with water retention for a longer period than I did. She suffered NO ill effects but mind you, others like me, absolutely have and do. I do not think it ever wise to take too much of anything.

Lucid dreaming is like acquiring precognitive abilities. There are no quick solutions to what are often talents best achieved via hard work, discipline and spiritual practices such as meditating, dream-journaling, as well as focus and willful intent fuelled by the beautiful power for belief.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by StarShiner on 13 Oct 2013 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

LucidLink

Re: Please Be Careful with the B-6!!!

Postby LucidLink » 13 Oct 2013 13:10

No one here taking 100 mg every day lol.

If read Rebecca's article on B-6 she warns us of all this, so we all know already.

We take 1-5 B6 but only for 3 nights in a row! Then we take a week off or so,
Everyone here is well aware of the safety issues, and we are smart enough to know to not take B6 every day for months lol. That's clearly asking for trouble!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

StarShiner

Re: Please Do Be Careful with the B-6!!!

Postby StarShiner » 13 Oct 2013 13:22

I do not think it wise to take even 100 mg. for a few days and then take time off from it. That is overloading the body and as is this vitamin is stored, it can build up over time. One only requires 1.3 mg. per day. If you are taking 100 mg. per day for a few days at a time, then taking a week off from that--that is still overdosing by all means. Like I said, this vitamin does not just 'piss off' into the ether. The excess is stored in the body. 25 mg. per day is the absolute safety end of the spectrum. I have read of this suggested limit unfailingly and a nutritional counsellor I saw (for a separate reason) also supported this.

I am also smart, thanks a lot so do not appreciate the innuendo that I am not (yes, I noticed that). My physio and an accompanying book she gave me backing her prescribed treatment for me were not, however. As I could not do much of anything without experiencing horrible pain (not even write which is my trade) I was willing to do as she suggested.

Sorry for the moodiness, but I am new to this site and am still of the opinion that 100 mg. of this vitamin taken as Rebecca suggests, is not at all within the realm of safety. I have talked to people who went toxic on 50 mg. of it when taken only a few days out of the week and in a B-complex supplement. What is regarded safe for one person, may not be safe for another.

Just please be mindful--that is all.

Meditating is THE best way to go lucid. I have been mediating since I was a teenager and have been an 'oneironaut' ever since and darned psychic too. I highly recommend it to those of you who have not meditated. For some of you, the effects will occur more quickly, for others it may take a bit more time. Just try 20-30 minutes a day to start with. Forty-five minutes to an hour is the optimum.

Also, research, "The Violet Flame".

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 13 Oct 2013 14:39

StarShiner wrote:I do not think it wise to take even 100 mg. for a few days and then take time off from it. That is overloading the body and as is this vitamin is stored, it can build up over time. One only requires 1.3 mg. per day. If you are taking 100 mg. per day for a few days at a time, then taking a week off from that--that is still overdosing by all means. Like I said, this vitamin does not just 'piss off' into the ether. The excess is stored in the body. 25 mg. per day is the absolute safety end of the spectrum. I have read of this suggested limit unfailingly and a nutritional counsellor I saw (for a separate reason) also supported this.

I am also smart, thanks a lot so do not appreciate the innuendo that I am not (yes, I noticed that). My physio and an accompanying book she gave me backing her prescribed treatment for me were not, however. As I could not do much of anything without experiencing horrible pain (not even write which is my trade) I was willing to do as she suggested.

Sorry for the moodiness, but I am new to this site and am still of the opinion that 100 mg. of this vitamin taken as Rebecca suggests, is not at all within the realm of safety. I have talked to people who went toxic on 50 mg. of it when taken only a few days out of the week and in a B-complex supplement. What is regarded safe for one person, may not be safe for another.

Just please be mindful--that is all.

Meditating is THE best way to go lucid. I have been mediating since I was a teenager and have been an 'oneironaut' ever since and darned psychic too. I highly recommend it to those of you who have not meditated. For some of you, the effects will occur more quickly, for others it may take a bit more time. Just try 20-30 minutes a day to start with. Forty-five minutes to an hour is the optimum.

Also, research, "The Violet Flame".

Ok, I also am sorry! I never meant to say you aren't smart, merely that your warnings are a bit unnesceary. Although, now i see what you are more trying to say, and I agree that for SOME people who are extra sensitive to B-6, it's far easier to overdose.

BUT, for MOST people, a couple B-6, for a couple nights, with a nice week or two break in between is safe.

Now, for anyone trying B-6 for the first time, your advice is quite nessecery I've realized this, because if you don't know how your body will react, then you gotta be careful because everyone is different and is affected differently!

But for me, and others, we are well aware of how much we can personally take in safety. But i agree, others may not be able to take the same amount safely.

Again, I never meant to offend, welcome to the forums!:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Oct 2013 21:33

I've never taken B-6, or any other supplements, but I am curious about them and thought they were harmless. I had the notion that since it was a water soluble vitamin that it can be 'pissed out' and an overdose is impossible.

So, I must say, your post was not a waste of time and I, myself learned something.
If you influence just one person it was worth it, and I am that one person. Thank you!

If I ever try supplements I will do some research and use them cautiously and wisely.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

radicaldreamer

Postby radicaldreamer » 20 Oct 2013 11:23

When I was maybe 9 years old, I was interested in vitamins and their benefits. I saw what I have always remembered to be a B-vitamin, I'm not sure if it was B6 but it boasted benefits like soft skin and shiny hair I think.

Well I was not told I could not get into them, so I did.. I think I took two. It was not good. Maybe an hour later my skin puffed up and I thought I was going to pop! :o I then got a nosebleed that didn't stop until I passed out.

I'm probably extremely fortunate to be here, and I will never take B-vitamins unless they're in multi-vitamins.

The Beach Boy

Postby The Beach Boy » 24 Oct 2013 04:07

JESUS CHRIST... THANK YOU!!!! Look guys, I know you all are saying, "We do not need to be re-warned of the health risks because we are all very aware of what this stuff can do." BUT... I had NO fucking clue this stuff could cause negative side effects. I thought B6 was a vitamin that was flushed out of your urine so there was no problems with it. I got some B6 about 1 month ago and have been taking two capsules from it every night. (I THOUGHT it was 100 mgs each but I was worried about it because I had no idea there could be negative side effects.) So yeah, I read this and looked at my bottle and it's fucking 200 mgs (it says timed release though?) I have been getting this random acne out of nowhere and I just had no idea where it was coming from. I am going to immediately stop using this stuff entirely.. on a good note though! I just woke up from a lucid dream where I had like 3 false awakenings within the dream yet I questioned my reality and became lucid each time.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”