Is Astral Projection Real?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.

What do you think about Astral Projection?

I am neutral, never tried doing it before.
35%
It might be real, though I am unsure if there is a difference between it and lucid dreaming.
17%
It is real, I have had one/several before.
13%
Astral Projection is just another lucid dream in my opinion.
35%

Total votes: 23

lucidinthe sky

Re: Is Astral Projection Real?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Oct 2013 21:28

noelnivel wrote:now if we can't predict when it will work and won't, like the baseball home-run analogy given above, at least we know they happen.

There may be people who have these abilities but don't really have the ability to control them precisely.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Oct 2013 21:40

And knavish men often pass for wise, too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Oct 2013 06:51

I must say that experiencing a vivid event in your mind does conjure true emotions.
I am amazed by that.
In a lucid dream you can jump off a ledge on a building and feel your stomach go into your throat and feel genuine exhilaration just like an adrenalin junkie, knowing it is all an illusion. So there is some merit in creating feelings and moods through visualization. Even though you know the visuals are an illusion, the emotions don't lie.

I am not a therapist and I think the feeling only last for so long before it dissipates and you come back to your perceived real world problems. Which we all have.

So on one hand: who knows if it truly works? I think it might for some.
But on the other hand, Mr. Summerlander , although I am inclined to agree for the most part, using words like 'Mr. Therapist' sounds derogatory and although I love your counterpoints, I have to say, you must choose your words carefully if you want to win people over and make a memorable impression and have them truly listen.

I like your last comment with: "Knavish men". I had to look that word up and I like it. 'Used car salesman' is another term I use sometimes, and 'false prophet' is another to describe any non-credible person. Succinct and pithy. Brilliant.

(I would have said, 'incredible', which I think is the proper word, but that always reminds me of the hulk) :mrgreen:
Last edited by HAGART on 18 Oct 2013 07:48, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Oct 2013 07:22

What is it with warts?
Robert Waggoner recounted a story of a person who cured their warts with lucid dreaming.
Apparently self healing is possible given the anecdotal evidence, but why always warts?

I know warts are a virus, but if the immune system is what causes the physical lumps (casting them out and encapsulating them in skin), then I am sure the mind can cure it and do away with those nasty physical showcases of that disease. Although we can't manipulate physical reality with our minds, controlling our own internal immune system is certainly within the realm of possibility. ("Just let them dry up and die", you tell your brain.) And it just may physically happen.

And this is not a miracle. I think there is some science behind it. Of course there are limitations. You can't grow a new arm for example, but I reckon the immune system is manipulatable.
Why is it always warts though?

(I think it's because the immune system has already casted them out into the skin and recognized it as a foreign entity so the last step is to convince the body to let them dry out and die and not to encapsulate them and hold on anymore).

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Oct 2013 11:44

I don't think there is any "convincing the body" involved. The chemistry will just play itself out and do what it's supposed to do - either heal the organism or not according to its interactions.

The mind is powerless. It merely reflects what has already taken place and tries to justify it under the illusion that it has control. Its justifications, in the case of warts and self-healing are, however, deluded. The mind is merely claiming a hit and ignoring the misses...a bit like a so-called psychic...

On "Mr. Therapist"...

I apologise if it came across as derogatory but I am not here to win people over or make friends. I'm here to spread truth and people can do with it what they like. I also believe that people should be confronted and called out on misinformation they sometimes spout. It's for my own peace of mind and for their own good too...

Hence we are given the opportunity to grow, even if the nudge hurts a little...

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 18 Oct 2013 17:09

Summerlander wrote: ...I am not here to win people over or make friends.

Apparently...
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 19 Oct 2013 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Oct 2013 00:29

No problem. I'm only being honest.

- Padmasambhava

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 19 Oct 2013 19:06

I apologise if it came across as derogatory but I am not here to win people over or make friends. I'm here to spread truth

Again and again Summerlander is spreading the truth according to Summerlander. What an opinionated person. I could not live with his always right outlook, not in our time. In the time when witches were burned yes. I am much older than Summerlander and like to think about leaving my physical body as a step in a new experience. What will happen I don't know, and might never know, but I am open to surprises. For Summerlander I wish you from my heart happiness, and perhaps a tiny bit of yes-but. :)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Oct 2013 21:47

erichsa wrote:I apologise if it came across as derogatory but I am not here to win people over or make friends. I'm here to spread truth

Again and again Summerlander is spreading the truth according to Summerlander. What an opinionated person. I could not live with his always right outlook, not in our time. In the time when witches were burned yes. I am much older than Summerlander and like to think about leaving my physical body as a step in a new experience. What will happen I don't know, and might never know, but I am open to surprises. For Summerlander I wish you from my heart happiness, and perhaps a tiny bit of yes-but. :)

COMPLETELY AGREE. And thanks for speaking up!

I see the connection with burning witches at the stake. So much of this so-called "information for our own good" sounds just like fundamentalist religious dogma.

Summerlander wrote:I'm here to spread truth and people can do with it what they like. I also believe that people should be confronted and called out on misinformation they sometimes spout. It's for my own peace of mind and for their own good too...

The self-appointed "professor of everything" always has the right answer, always preaching, lecturing everyone on this forum. Riding in on your high horse, you confront the infidels with the sword of your word! (wow, that's almost poetic!)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is really tired of having this pseudo-wisdom insultingly shoved down our throats "for our own good" We will have to just learn to ignore it. And you think you are doing all of this hard work for everyone's benefit? Talk about being misinformed!

You can show that you are really sorry about the "Mr. Therapist" comments by editing your post.

And another thing, I'm doing this for your own good.
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 20 Oct 2013 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Oct 2013 00:50

This is an intervention for Summerlander. :lol:

"We all love you and are trying to help".
"You're addicted to bad derogatory wording."
"One step at a time.... baby steps.... we can get through this", says Mr. Therapist.

Your opinion DOES matter, and you can think what you want in your head, but the WORDING of it puts people off.

I crack jokes to make light of this, but there is seriousness in humour. :|

Return to “Dream Science”