HYPOTHETICALS

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
HAGART

Re: HYPOTHETICALS

Postby HAGART » 20 Oct 2013 01:41

deschainXIX wrote:This would be such a cool novel idea

Yea, it's a great idea for a story.

I was thinking of Groundhog Day. What about Groundhog Life? You live it over and over again, trying to make your life perfect, but in the end you realize, no matter what you do, there is no 'perfect'. It's just a concept in our minds that is unattainable. That first life was the one you always wanted with all its imperfections.

It reminds me of Siddhartha and his path to 'enlightenment'.

Someone could certainly write a clever, and yet, deep spiritual book about this one premise.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 20 Oct 2013 20:29

I would probably write it as a dark, dramatic, psychological mind f*ck. Although it'd be extremely difficult ... having to encompass large portions of a person's life and then writing alternate versions of them. Probably be an enormous book.
I bet someone out there has already written it; it doesn't seem all that original.
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 20 Oct 2013 20:45

I'm sure it's been done before.

Imagine this though: (and use your inner sarcastic voice when reading it)
A teenager switches bodies with their parent. The teenager who always wanted to be more grown up learns that it is not all it has cracked up to be. And the parent who wanted to relive their youth learns that being a teenager is tough work. Then they switch back in the end with a better understanding of each others feelings.

That is a brand new story idea I just came up with. I'm sure it has never been done before.... :roll:

It actually starts a new hypothetical question:
Would anybody switch bodies with someone else and live their lifestyle?

I can think of some funny answers and some deep existential answers.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Dec 2013 00:37

If I was posed that question by someone who I knew "had the power" to literally switch me with another person, I would ask to switch bodies with someone who is dead.
I could finally get to the bottom of it all! No one would believe me when I return to life, but still... AND the dead person would get to spend some time alive again.
Although, I would make sure that the switch is temporary, if it wasn't, I wouldn't do it.
Well said.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 03 Dec 2013 23:59

No, I don't think I would. My life is unique and although it's not perfect, and nobody's is anyways, it's unique to me and special. I think if someone were to swich they would probably be happy for a while living someone else's life, but would come to regret the decision after a while. It wouldn't be them. They'd be living a life that wasn't theirs, and whoever had their life stolen would be seriously lost and confused. Besides, if we were curious as to what someone else's life was like we could study their lifestyle a bit and lucid dream that we are them. *insert slightly evil face here that isn't available on my divice* :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Dec 2013 13:33

Lucid dreaming about what somebody else's life style could be like would only provide us with our personal perspective on it - it would not reveal to us the experience of the individual in question. (To achieve this, we'd have to trade with their bodies atom for atom and experience everything that they do through their biological arrangement.)

Usually, when people talk about switching with somebody else, they really mean like in those fantasy movies where the protagonist finds himself in somebody else's shoes and doesn't know what to do - and the pratfalls shown for the sake of hilarity. But if you think about it, the protagonist never really gets to experience what the other individual originally did. If he did, he'd know how to handle the "new" job, the "new" social life, the "new" possessions etc. (which, of course, he doesn't). The switch only brings novelty to both individuals and does not tell them anything about what the other experiences. Imagine you switch lives with the frontman of some heavy metal band and your friends get you music that "you" like for Xmas. If you don't like heavy metal you might be wonder what makes the real musician whose body you took like it so much.

Like I said before, you can only imagine what it's like for YOU to be in the other's shoes. And like I said before, in order to really understand the other person's subjectivity you'd have to trade with them atom for atom and have their genes, memory, and life experience. In the end, you wouldn't be you, it would be the other person still. So you wouldn't know...

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 05 Dec 2013 02:33

Summerlander wrote:Lucid dreaming about what somebody else's life style could be like would only provide us with our personal perspective on it - it would not reveal to us the experience of the individual in question. (To achieve this, we'd have to trade with their bodies atom for atom and experience everything that they do through their biological arrangement.)

True, but you could get an idea if you followed them around like a creepy stalker for a while and learned their daily routine, social group, family relations, hobbies, and anything else that was a significant part of their life. :twisted: But I see your point. You wouldn't be able to truly live their life unless you actually did switch bodies.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Dec 2013 04:29

If you switched bodies completely, atom for atom, that would include the brain too.
You would literally become that person and not know it, thinking their thoughts and not yours. Reminds me of The Fly or District 9. You become something else and are not 'you' anymore when the brain changes.

It only works in movies because of the idea that we have a 'soul' beyond the brain. Instead of the typical comedies this premise makes, it would be a clever way to bring up the notion that a soul is a made up idea and doesn't exist. Maybe throw in a few 'pratfalls' to keep it light-hearted because most people, the masses, don't like to hear about deep stuff like that. If done correctly this old plot could be turned into something deep and meaningful.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 06 Dec 2013 22:00

Another hypothetical.
You can ask two questions, in the form of sentences spanning 1-20 words in length.
Somehow (don't ask me; use your imagination), you know that the answer provided will be completely true ...
What two questions would you ask?
Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”