Spinning in Lucid Dreams

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.

What effect does spinning around have on your lucid dream?

It increases my lucidity.
It creates a new dream scene.
It causes me to wake up.
Total votes: 62

Re: Spinning in Lucid Dreams

Postby fyreflower » 06 Feb 2013 10:24

Below is an excerpt of my final paper this past December. It states my first remembered experience with spinning in my dreams. The thing is--every time I have spun in my dreams I am not lucid, but since that first night of spinning I instinctively do it for continued dreaming energy (I usually dance the way I do in the waking realm..very tai chi-esque so it works well for me, and my dancing to heal is also instinctual). I never really thought about that fact before today. I think it is because I consider my dream life as important and as "real" as this waking realm. I think the reason for my blurred lines came from stopping tryingto control my dreams. Once I had done that for a long while my nightmares seemed to give up even trying to haunt me heehee. So Although the dream below might seem terrifying to the average dreamer it was more movie like and matter-of-factly for me. (the details I couldn't add to a school paper would make for an excellent movie scene too boot),, Oh, and this neat book was compiled by Malcom Godwin : )

"Have you ever had a dream that you were flying or running and suddenly you ran out of steam? It used to happen to me quite a bit in my dreams. One night I was in a dream situation where an ancient Mongolian army had taken me hostage, and clearly planned on doing unspeakable things to me. I attempted to float up and fly away from the situation, but I had no steam. I was floating up so slowly that some of the men noticed and started towards me. I took a breath and extended my arms out and set myself to spinning. As soon as I began spinning I shot up into the air and out of harm’s way! A year later I was reading The Lucid Dreamer and saw a picture of dancing dervishes. The caption read: “The Sufis of both Persia and India used lucid dreaming extensively in their meditations. One of the most effective methods to maintain lucidity within a dream if it begins to fade is to start whirling.” (Godwin) telling you how excited I was in that moment would be a huge understatement. I had learned a skill on my own that was documented decades before my time. "
~ Horizontal Enlightenment ~

Postby Jackson » 24 Jul 2013 18:21

It causes me to either fly :? or wake up.

Postby DreamerMan99 » 25 Jul 2013 15:08

I use this if my dreamscene is getting boring, or I want something new. I spin really fast, and when i regain the ability to normally see i am in a new place. I do not close my eyes because whenever im lucid, even blinking, as soon as my eyes close in the dream they open in the real world.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Aug 2013 05:39

Any kind of willed conscious moving can increase lucidity. Maybe rubbing hands together would be a safer thing to do as its far less likely to make one wake up.

Spinning carries the risk of completely disconnecting a person from a dream (that is the very reason why it is used to change dream scenes!), not so good thou if one is struggling to stay in a dream in the first place and needing all the dream senses to help to stay in one. Its the opposite action to immersing yourself into a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Postby radicaldreamer » 18 Oct 2013 13:15

I sometimes try spinning, and it keeps me in the dream longer, but if I was focusing on something, it becomes harder to investigate it, as the details get shrouded. :|

Postby Silvernight » 21 Oct 2013 20:01

First time I tried it in order to stabilize and stop myself from waking up, it worked for just a few seconds... then I woke up anyway. Other times it just caused me to wake up, since my lucid dreams are quite fragile. I think it might be better to rub your hands (another technique to stabilize your dream). Haven't tried it yet though.

Postby abart65 » 01 Jan 2014 08:14

I'm reading one of Stevens books now actually and read about this technique but when I tried in the dream that night after things started to "go away" I actually woke up in a sleep paralysis state where I jumped out of my body with a second. I wasn't sure whether I was dreaming about this part or whether I was actually experiencing SP. But he was right in the part of concentrating on something in the dream as I can now have long lasting dreams where i drop in and out of scenes but never wake up or lose lucidity

Postby NYDreamer » 25 Apr 2014 19:20

I've found that waving my hands around while flying helps me stay in the dream. I don't know if you need to be flying first, though.

Also, while flying, I've found sometimes that if I touch down, I feel the bed underneath me and start to wake up. So some of my early lucid dreams were spent desperately trying to stay aloft to avoid touching the ground.

Postby soul2spirit » 24 Jul 2014 18:29

I love spinning in the during lucid dreams, feels like free falling spinning, no gravity. Feels good. :D

Postby Summerlander » 24 Jul 2014 18:31

It usually creates a new scene for me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”