Prolonging Lucid Dreams

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
LucidLink

Prolonging Lucid Dreams

Postby LucidLink » 28 Oct 2013 21:57

Hi everybody, so I think like many others, all my lucid dreams are cut short early. It seems almost as soon as the lucid dream starts, it begins to fade.

We all are too familiar with the fading of a lucid dream I'm sure, and I myself, have major problems with this. Having lucid dreams was never my problem, but I have yet to have a 30 minute lucid dream full of everything possible, all my lucid dreams are minutes at the most.

Besides a host of other smaller issues I won't get into here, my biggest problem has been length of the dream. Now Rebecca suggests rubbing your hands together, now I've tried this and it works, but only as long as I'm actually doing it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who dosnt want to spend an entire dream rubbing our hands together.

However, I recently read a far better idea on another forum. The idea is to create or find some dream object, it could be anything, and then just constantly touch it and be aware of it all times.

I have yet to try it, but it sounds promising!:)

Have you guys tried this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

torakrubik

Re: Prolonging Lucid Dreams

Postby torakrubik » 29 Oct 2013 02:00

Essentially, rubbing your hands together and the method you have described serve the same purpose. The idea is to keep your senses engaged within the dreamscape. If rubbing your hands doesn't take your fancy, try other methods out, see what works for you :)
Dreaming is my drug

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Oct 2013 02:15

There are a lot of factors related to the length of the lucid dream, one of the biggest is when you become lucid. If you are doing a DILD, then the dream might be fairly old when you get in, so it doesn't matter that much what you do to stabilize it. WILD is better for this, but also harder. Often I start off with WILD and end up with DILD, but I get in the dream early so it's almost the same. Another thing I have experienced is getting into a dream after too much sleep causes this, as in 7-8 hours or more. For me, 5-6 hours of sleep is the best time. Another issue is your fears, excitement, expectations, etc. If you don't think it will last, you're probably going to be right. I've have had a problem in that area, but making progress by working on these things during my incubation time.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Oct 2013 02:34

LucidLink wrote:The idea is to create or find some dream object, it could be anything, and then just constantly touch it and be aware of it all times.

This could work. It would be like grounding yourself into the dream so your thoughts don't wander into waking life concerns.

My longest lucid dreams have occurred when I wake back to bed early in the night. If I go to sleep earlier than usual, I still wake up 3-5 hours later, but it's about 3 a.m. in the morning instead of my usual 6 a.m. internal wake up call. Whenever this happens I tend to get much deeper 'locked in' lucid dreams. It makes sense since my body is use to a very deep sleep at that time, but my mind is awake and has other plans.

They can last a while and even have scared me in the past because they were TOO long. (Still only 30-45 minutes, but to me that's long). I wondered if I even had a body to go back to anymore! And I couldn't wake up no matter how hard I tried. But I always come back and am still getting use to those very long lucids. (They are rare for me, and it's been a while. I should practice what I preach and sleep early one of these days 'cause I know it worked in the past for me).

But for me, and maybe others agree, they occur much earlier in the night and is different than those mild morning, last-dream-in-the-morning-REM-dreams. Those deeper-sleep lucid dreams will blow you away! The opposite becomes true. Instead of trying to prolong it, you may start to wonder, why is this still going on and will I EVER wake up!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Oct 2013 04:27

HAGART wrote:
They can last a while and even have scared me in the past because they were TOO long. (Still only 30-45 minutes, but to me that's long). I wondered if I even had a body to go back to anymore! And I couldn't wake up no matter how hard I tried. But I always come back and am still getting use to those very long lucids. (They are rare for me, and it's been a while. I should practice what I preach and sleep early one of these days 'cause I know it worked in the past for me).

Although it's rare, I also have problems when they are too long. Start feeling this urge to get back, often cut it off short. It's a comfort thing, I know, to just be back to only one of me. That sensation of being split is disorienting. I've never had a problem getting back to the body, although getting back when it's really deep sometimes there is this falling feeling through darkness that lasts about a minute before getting back. It feels good, but really weird like falling through weightless dark space.

HAGART wrote: But for me, and maybe others agree, they occur much earlier in the night and is different than those mild morning, last-dream-in-the-morning-REM-dreams. Those deeper-sleep lucid dreams will blow you away! The opposite becomes true. Instead of trying to prolong it, you may start to wonder, why is this still going on and will I EVER wake up!

There's seems to be a sweet spot between 5-7 hours. I find the earlier ones are deeper, longer, more intense, vivid, real, everything you want in a lucid dream. It's just harder to get in early for me, almost always have to DILD or sometimes WILD with a short gap of awareness, like the film has a splice in it and then starts in new place. That can be really awesome, when you just "pop" out the darkness into 3D full color hi-def visuals. Been a while since I had that.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 23 Nov 2013 23:14

I guess that you could try to feel your entire body, feel the wind blowing past you, feel your clothes on your body.
That is, assuming you are wearing clothes at that moment. If not, go get yourself some, you look silly.
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Dec 2013 07:38

LucidLink wrote: Besides a host of other smaller issues I won't get into here, my biggest problem has been length of the dream. Now Rebecca suggests rubbing your hands together, now I've tried this and it works, but only as long as I'm actually doing it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who dosnt want to spend an entire dream rubbing our hands together.

However, I recently read a far better idea on another forum. The idea is to create or find some dream object, it could be anything, and then just constantly touch it and be aware of it all times.

I have yet to try it, but it sounds promising!:)

Have you guys tried this?

Rubbing my hands together doesnt do much for me. I prefer a method I find stronger and more long lasting then that. What I do is bring someone I have a strong connection with, into the dream to interact with me eg my ex boyfriend. Then I get this DC to touch me (its very good that I myself dont move if Im in an extremely light state in which doing so could wake me) until Im very grounded in the dream (but stop this sometimes sexual contact as soon as Im strongly in the dream so not to overdo it and end up making that wake me).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”