Why do you pursue lucid dreaming?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 05 Nov 2013 15:53

I realize that's a HUGE question to ask 8-)

See if you can summarize the personal appeal of it in just a sentence or two.

It would also be really interesting if you could state your age too. Because I think lucid dreaming presents different opportunities at different stages in our lives.

I guess I should share my own thoughts too..... So here's my position:

My main motivations for lucid dreaming are: escapism (the physical freedom - I love flying and feeling totally limitless) and to explore the experience of consciousness, on a level I feel I simply can't achieve in waking life. Lucid dreaming is a like a second reality, where the rules are different.

And you already know I'm 30 :o :D

How about you?

Highlander

Re: Why do you pursue lucid dreaming?

Postby Highlander » 05 Nov 2013 16:17

My main reason to lucid dream is to find out more about me and explore my subconscious and the mind's potential. To find lost memories, to know what's bugging me, to find solutions, to know what's my belief in several subjects. And it has been enlightening.
My age is 38.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2013 16:26

Artistic inspiration, practice of mundane activities, experimentation in the mental realm, adventure, escapism, pleasure, and revelling in the possible impossibilities and abstractionism that come with imagination, or, in unprecedented turns, expressed by the subconscious.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

tea

Postby tea » 05 Nov 2013 16:27

for me, it's partially the same. i feel like my life has always been a search for the things behind the facade of everyday life. later i realized everyday life is actually just unconscious life because every consciously experienced moment is so unique, that ultimately you can't pigeonhole it.
so, on the one hand, lucid dreaming is a way for me to experience this consciousness from a different perspective.
on the other hand it's one of the most fun things to do. actually, it's more than that. because you can do everything you can do in waking life, but in a completely different dimension.

so, i mainly love lucid dreaming because of the aspect of exploring new grounds but also just for having a good time in a way waking life does not offer.
oh and as summerlander mentioned: inspiration.

also, i'm 21.
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Nov 2013 16:58

And I'm 31. I forgot to mention it. :-p

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 05 Nov 2013 17:08

I'm 19, and my primary reasons for pursuing lucid dreaming are these.
First, it is to become lucid in my dreams, and from this to also become lucid in waking life.
And, second to become familiar with the dream state, and from this familiar with the after death state, which through this will allow me transcend physical life and not reincarnate back into the earth.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » 05 Nov 2013 17:26

It's a personal world that looks real, feels real, isn't actually real and you can do whatever you want.
Seems like fun to me!
Also, I'm interested if I can change things with it. For example, liking certain kinds of food.
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

tea

Postby tea » 05 Nov 2013 20:18

LucidLink wrote:First, it is to become lucid in my dreams, and from this to also become lucid in waking life.

:D i once spent some time with the same thought..

the conclusion i've come to is, that if that's how your perception of life is, then that's the actual 'lucid' state.
think about it, lucidity means that you are aware of it being a dream; you know that you are sleeping, dreaming, you know that you're gonna wake up again, etc
now, when you realize that reality is just like a dream as well, it's the waking life equivalent of becoming lucid in dreams, right? ;)
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 05 Nov 2013 21:58

The two main reasons are weird....

1. Extension of life, our average lifespan is like 85 years right? Well many of those years are spent asleep in dreams. If I can learn to control and remember my dreams, I will technically become more wiser for my age.

2. Control of my brain. I want more control of my inner self, I have ADHD and Tourette Syndrome and am highly hampered in school when my subconscious decides that it does not want to pay attention anymore and tries to suppress me to sleep.

I am 17 now.
Last edited by Goldkoron on 06 Nov 2013 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Do a reality check

mondmadlin

Postby mondmadlin » 05 Nov 2013 22:55

I want to let my fantasy have something like a playground, I want to know how freedom feels like and get into different roles, like I would have a boyfriend ( that thing I never had *laughs*) and also get in contact with my mind, because inside, I am a real mess... that's what I becane after all the dark times

I am 16

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”