Thoughts / interpretations on dream scene?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
FirstBullet

Thoughts / interpretations on dream scene?

Postby FirstBullet » 10 Nov 2013 20:09

Last night as I was dreaming I saw a very obvious dream sign and became lucid. This is only my 3rd lucid dream or so since I first learned about it 10 years ago, so I have a checklist of things I want to try on the rare occasion that I become lucid and fortunately I remembered the number one item. Without hesitation, I said "Show me how to have more lucid dreams". When I said that, a group of people dressed in scrubs appeared in front of me like they were prepping for surgery (washing their hands, dawning hair caps & masks, etc) and then they went into a room to my left. I tried to follow them in, but they shut the door in my face!

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps my subconscious is tinkering and adjusting to my demand for more lucid dreams, and that this little display was just a metaphor for that action. If that's not the case, then I have absolutely no idea what it is trying to tell me, and I'd appreciate any feedback people might have for me.

Summerlander

Re: Thoughts / interpretations on dream scene?

Postby Summerlander » 11 Nov 2013 02:35

Maybe it's not trying to tell you anything, but rather, it may be an unconscious expression of where your mind stands on the subject - which may, in itself, not only provide a useful reflection (or introspection) but also, a solution!

You may associate surgeons with meticulosity, meaning that you may feel that, by being meticulous with lucid dream techniques you may get what willmeet your demands.

Shutting the door in your face may mean that too much effort is putting you off (outside the surgeons room) and the pressure in itself is detrimental to your practice.

Set yourself a target of only 2 or 3 lucid dreams per week. If it doesn't happen, don't fret and go easy on yourself. I'll tell you what really helped with my practice: reminders and revision of books by Rebecca Turner, Stephen LaBerge, and, last but not least, Michael Raduga's The Phase guidebook (this one is all about implementing techniques and practice - from entering the lucid dream world to prolonging your stay as well as improving your conduct whilst lucid dreaming. It's meticulous whilst telling you to have a relaxed approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

FirstBullet

Postby FirstBullet » 11 Nov 2013 03:13

That's an interesting insight, and you could very well be right. There was a period of time where I was doing the techniques every day, but it's difficult to remember to do them as you get involved in other activities, and I can't use my phone where I work to remind me (I can have a watch though, which I might have to buy). I eventually just stopped doing them after a few months because I wasn't getting any results.

I've read one of LaBerge's books and it seemed very useful. I'll have to look into books by the other authors. Thanks for the input!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Nov 2013 22:07

FirstBullet wrote:When I said that, a group of people dressed in scrubs appeared in front of me like they were prepping for surgery (washing their hands, dawning hair caps & masks, etc) and then they went into a room to my left. I tried to follow them in, but they shut the door in my face!

Perhaps you feel that lucid dreaming is for an elite group of experts that you are not a part of.

You're always welcome in this 'average-joe' group and we won't shut any doors in your face!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 12 Nov 2013 11:57

Hagart is absolutely right!

When I first started I believed lucid dreaming was something that was very hard to achieve and I wanted to be one of the experts, like Stephen LaBerge!

Because I thought it was something hard to achieve I was trying to hard and too often and not getting satisfactory results.

Eventually, I discovered that lucid dreaming is not as elusive as I thought. In fact, I found that when I simplified things and eased up on my approach, lucid dreams would occur very often.

It's really not hard to achieve. I think it is very much a case of allowing your brain to get there as too much effort and worry for results may interfere.

In a way, your dream has brought you some answers. It helped you to arrive at a crucial solution. The "surgeon" approach is not the way. Don't go in that room.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”