I get to write an essay on lucid dreaming! :D

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Vonozar

Re: I get to write an essay on lucid dreaming! :D

Postby Vonozar » 12 Nov 2013 08:24

Okay, so here is the completed essay. Please keep in mind that this had to be a small essay, so a lot of detail was unfortunately left out. I wanted to add brainwaves to this, but sort of ran out of space I was allowed to use. :? Well, anyways here it is without the citation page. If anyone wants me to post that, let me know and I will. :)

Introduction
The simplest definition of a lucid dream is a dream in which a person is aware that they are dreaming while they are dreaming. With this realization generally comes the ability to guide and control the dream at will. Lucid dreaming was first scientifically proven by Dr. Stephen LaBerge in 1983. There are plenty of applications for lucid dreaming, ranging from wish fulfillment to treatment from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientific Evidence
Dr. Stephen LaBerge, a researcher in psychophysiology from Stanford University, was one of the first to scientifically prove the existence of lucid dreams and was the first to publish his results. (Garfield, 1995) LaBerge, knowing that eye movements are not inhibited in REM sleep, came up with a pattern of pre-determined eye movements he would make while lucid in a dream to signal to the outside world that he was consciously aware in his sleep, and was consciously choosing to look in certain directions. (Garfield, 1995) A similar study had been done a few years back by a British parapsychologist DR Keith Hearne, but Hearne failed to publish his findings for years after completing his dissertation allowing LaBerge to unknowingly nearly replicate the study. (Garfield, 1995)

Benefits and uses
The ability to become aware in one’s dream provides many opportunities to a lucid dreamer. Of course, one of the main draws to lucid dreaming is wish fulfillment. With conscious control of the dream, an oneironaut, or dream navigator (Tucillo and Zeizel and Peisel, 2013) can do anything they can imagine. This includes flying, shape shifting, or simply creating a dream portal and stepping onto the sandy shores of their own tropical island, all in a vivid and highly realistic environment. (Tucillo and Zeizel and Peisel, 2013)

However, there are a large number of other benefits besides just wish fulfillment. Soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder can use lucid dreaming as a virtual reality world to overcome their anxieties and alleviate nightmares. (Cummings, n.d) In Nightmares in crisis: clinical applications of lucid dreaming techniques, the author notes how “The techniques appeared to play a role in the reduction of nightmare frequency, intensity, and distress, and to enhance ego growth and personal development.” (Brylowski, 1990)

For those who don’t have nightmares, there are still plenty of other useful applications for lucid dreaming. If someone had a big presentation coming up, they could become lucid in their dreams and practice giving the presentation over and over again until they had their presentation perfected. A creative person could find huge amounts of inspiration from inside their dreams which they could take back to the waking world and apply what they have discovered there. Old treasured memories could be revisited and re lived, or lost loved ones could seemingly come back to life for an hour or two a night. (Tucillo and Zeizel and Peisel, 2013) Lucid dreams also allow for direct communication with your subconscious mind. This provides the opportunity for vast individual growth and maturity. By diving deep into your subconscious mind, you could discover a great deal about yourself. Who are you? What do you want in life? The possibilities are endless.

Conclusion
From the above sources, I conclude that lucid dreaming is a highly valuable scientifically proven skill. Lucid dreaming was first scientifically proven by Dr. Stephen LaBerge. There are great possibilities and benefits to lucid dreaming, from simple wish fulfillment to nightmare management and personal growth.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 12 Nov 2013 08:27

Wow, it looks so much smaller now that it's not double spaced. It was actually a larger essay than I was allowed by about 1/4 of a page. It looks so tiny now! :roll: :lol:

Peter

Postby Peter » 12 Nov 2013 18:20

Great work, its short and simple and to the point but not boring. A good teaser to get some facts and purpose across
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 12 Nov 2013 19:34

Peter wrote:Great work, its short and simple and to the point but not boring. A good teaser to get some facts and purpose across

Thanks! That's what I was aiming at doing. :D

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Nov 2013 00:13

I still remember English class and wrote a few essays.

The introduction states what will be discussed and then it follows through with that promise and then concludes it in the end.

So the structure of it works and I see no flaws in that. (Of course, I'm not an essayist). And you said earlier the assignment was suppose to be based on science that can be factually cited and I think you accomplished that too.

YOU PASS!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 13 Nov 2013 21:45

Haha great! Glad to know you guys approve of it. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 14 Nov 2013 23:18

My professor said it was a very interesting essay that was fun to read. She gave me a high grade on it, too. When a few of the acquaintences I have in my class saw it they asked about lucid dreaming and seemed quite interested in it. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “Off-Topic”