Phobia making flying harder?

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Juggernaut625

Phobia making flying harder?

Postby Juggernaut625 » 18 Nov 2013 19:52

Hi guys, I had another lucid dream yesterday and wanted to share since I have a couple of questions to ask.
Firstly, yes I have a phobia of heights and never really thought this would be the case in a dream as well.

So here's what happened, me and a few friends were in this theme park, we started running towards a ride when there was a whole load of steps. I jumped down because there was a straight part before more steps, but instead of falling down I kept floating forward, I got REALLY freaked out because of how high I was getting, then when the steps gone, I started falling with the thought that I was going to at minimum break my legs but I landed perfectly with no damage, I got suspicious but I wasn't really 'lucid' yet. I looked infront of me to my friends but then I looked behind me and it was my home town (which didn't have a theme park in the middle of it normally XD). I looked back behind me and it was my home town as well, my friends were gone, like I was in a completely different dream. I then said to myself "I'm lucid, let's fly". I started jumping higher than usual, but wouldn't stay up, I kept floating... I then started telling myself in the back of my mind I can float up and I did! I started floating but once I started getting high I started getting really scared so I let myself back down. I seen this really tall building that I wanted to get to the top of, but I didn't want to float up cos I'd have to look down lol. So I tried 'teleporting' up there, with no luck. So I kept telling myself it was a dream, literally repeating it in my head with the thought 'I will float up". With persistence, I started floating up, once again once I got quite high I started getting scared. I was getting higher and higher and wanted to take a break, seen a street light and held onto it. But my hands started feeling like soap, they were slipping and I couldn't hold onto anything. I kept getting higher and higher, I looked up and the building was sooo much higher so I decided to let myself down. I then decided to do other things in which I quickly lost lucidity and went into another dream (unfortunately).

So my question is these:

1) I want to fly but obviously my phobia is holding me back - is there any way I can 'teleport' to a really high location or get up there quicker? I just keep getting really scared when I fly high no matter how much I know it's a dream.
2)Have you had any phobia's interfere with your LD's?

Thanks for reading guys - always a pleasure!

HAGART

Re: Phobia making flying harder?

Postby HAGART » 18 Nov 2013 22:58

I have a fear of heights too.
Even if I'm watching TV and someone is about to bungee jump or repel down a tall building, my hands get sweaty just by imagining it. It's only a television, but I still start to react emotionally!

So of course it will affect you emotionally in a lucid dream too, and even more so, because it becomes all too real. I have a hard time jumping off just a ten foot ledge, fearing I may land too hard, and choose to climb down in my lucid dreams. It's too real for me and I just can't do it. (I've had some success free falling off larger ledges in lucid dreams and they are so thrilling, but I still get apprehensive about it no matter how lucid I am. It's a fear to conquer and I do it on occasion in lucid dreams.)

But I don't fly around the way most lucid dreamers do. So what if I'm not a lucid dream flier? It's overrated. I can do plenty with my two feet firmly planted on the ground! Lot's of things.......
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Juggernaut625

Postby Juggernaut625 » 19 Nov 2013 01:02

xD Yeah, I guess I could say the same.
I would just love to be able to have so much 'power' if you know what I mean, it would be a great experience. It's actually what I started working towards LD'ing - to find out about myself and to conquer my fears if at all possible.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Nov 2013 01:30

Flying is one small supper power.

There are so many others: Earth and Water bending like Avatar: The Last Air Bender. OR using 'The Force' like Luke Skywalker make something come to your hand, or levitate an inconceivably large object like an X-Wing Fighter on Dagobah with Yoda. (Had to look that up to be nerdy, but it can truly be like that). :geek:

We all have super powers in our lucid dreams. For me it's not the conventional flying, but I don't care anymore. I still have fun and push the boundaries with other things. And after you dismiss pop-culture, the road is open and there is a whole new avenue unexplored...... (That's when it get's deep....)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Nov 2013 11:39

Your phobia appears to have got the better of you but your lucid dreams can help you understand it and conquer it.

Teleportation has to be believed and requires confidence. Try spinning, close your eyes and believe that you are already at the desired location before you open them. You can really take control when it comes to getting around in lucid dreamland.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Nov 2013 17:09

Yea, no need to fly from point A to point B in a lucid dream.
Teleportation is the only way to travel.

How to do it is still a hit and miss for me. But think of it as 'mind movement' instead of 'dream body' movement.

Actually, psychotropic would be the right word...... lucid dreams are a mental trip aren't they? :ugeek:

Juggernaut625

Postby Juggernaut625 » 19 Nov 2013 17:16

I contemplated on doing that but I remembered that if I closed my eyes I'd probably wake up, as Rebecca recommend's against it...

I guess I can just change my dream to where I'm on top of a building of sorts, what's better to conquer your fears of heights than jumping off a building? xP

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Nov 2013 18:47

Although I feel flying is overrated, and not necessary, one thing for us who fear heights is to not look down, Once you do your perceived concept of gravity takes effect and you fall back. So if you truly want to fly, keep looking up where you want to go and ignore the ground.

Fear is the biggest blockade in a lucid dream. I get a genuine thrill from jumping off buildings! That's enough for me, and don't feel the need to fly.

P.S. you can close your eyes in a lucid dream. Sometimes you end up in a different place, but I rarely wake up as a result of it.

Juggernaut625

Postby Juggernaut625 » 19 Nov 2013 21:59

I'll try, but I don't want to be restricted by my fears in a LD - I want to just be free from all fears of sorts, so I'm going to constantly remember it's a dream and go for it :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Nov 2013 23:49

I rarely wake up too... Perhaps because I'm not expecting to wake and don't become so concerned with it. In fact, my method of teleportation is usually running, closing my eyes, and immediately believing that the floor I tread on is the desired destination. Opening my eyes then confirms it. If the dream world fades, just apply techniques to deepen and maintain it. If it collapses, re-enter the lucid dream via separation from the perceived sleeping body. Keep doing this until all options are exhausted. Inevitably,you will awaken, but you will be satisfied for having prolonged your stay in the lucid dream world.

Also, if flying is your weakness, practice and conquer your fear.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”