Did I have my first LD last night?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
sumsol

Did I have my first LD last night?

Postby sumsol » 21 Nov 2013 03:58

Hello everyone! I have been doing reality checks with the Awoke app reminder on my phone for the last ten days or so. Last night while dreaming, I did push my fingers through my palm before engaging in an intimate activity with someone. Based on what I have read, I wasn't surprised that I woke up before too much satisfaction occurred and for now I am fine with that. _1_ My question for anyone more experienced than I is -- Could my reality check in my dream have possibly just been a dream about myself doing reality checks? __2__ If you think that it was more than likely exactly what I wanted my reality checks to turn into, would you say that I am on the right track and perhaps moving along at a pretty good pace? __2.5__ Or... could it be simply said that anyone as new as me has loads of work to do before LD is actually a reality? I look forward communicating with an actual lucid dreamer for the first time.

lucidinthe sky

Re: Did I have my first LD last night?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 21 Nov 2013 06:52

sumsol wrote:Hello everyone! I have been doing reality checks with the Awoke app reminder on my phone for the last ten days or so. Last night while dreaming, I did push my fingers through my palm before engaging in an intimate activity with someone. Based on what I have read, I wasn't surprised that I woke up before too much satisfaction occurred and for now I am fine with that. _1_ My question for anyone more experienced than I is -- Could my reality check in my dream have possibly just been a dream about myself doing reality checks? __2__ If you think that it was more than likely exactly what I wanted my reality checks to turn into, would you say that I am on the right track and perhaps moving along at a pretty good pace? __2.5__ Or... could it be simply said that anyone as new as me has loads of work to do before LD is actually a reality? I look forward communicating with an actual lucid dreamer for the first time.

Most of us have to work fairly hard to make lucid dreams happen, but some people can lucid dream without that much effort, so you can't tell from that.

As far as dreaming about lucid dreaming, you can have dreams about anything and if you are really spending a lot of time thinking about and wanting a lucid dream you can dream about that too. I have dreamed about lucid dreaming myself and the best way I can tell is by the memories. Lucid dreaming memories stand out from non-lucid dream memories. They are much more like waking life memories. For me, they don't fade as fast either so if the memory of the dream including being lucid all fades fairly fast that's a sign it was a dream about lucid dreaming. Sometimes it's really too hard to tell and you just have to look at it as progress whatever it was, you are either there or getting close. Just keep at it.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Nov 2013 20:07

I have dreamed about lucid dreaming too. I would do lucid type things like make objects move or start fires, but I wasn't lucid. Infact, some of those times, I felt like my 'lucid powers' had become reality and I thought I was awake!

The key difference is not just knowing it is a dream, but thinking consciously with a fully alert, waking mind with all your memories of who you are intact. And not being swept up by the plot of the dream. It's one subtle difference, that can just click sometimes for me, but is like night and day when comparing lucid dreams to non-lucid and you'll know it when you have one. It's like a self awareness switch get's flicked on.

You can also be semi-lucid. Just last night in my dream I was attacked by a giant bear the size of a van! Before it got me, I must have figured out it was a dream because I wasn't scared anymore. I started to direct the dream like a movie, imagining the bear eating other people and for some reason... my own dog?!? It faded and I woke up and there was a bear in my bed! I wasn't scared though, because a part of me knew it was a dream, but I didn't fully awaken and was focused on the made up plot of the dream still and was only a director and not an actor in the dream. Although I knew it was a dream at some basic level, I wasn't fully self aware and thinking with a rational, waking mind. When you do, that is a fully lucid dream.

And yes, the memories get stored differently the same way actual life events are stored differently than our day dreams. What did you do today? Easy to remember. What did you THINK about today? Much harder. My non lucid/semi-lucid ones like the one with the bear, I only remember after the fact when I wake up. But in a lucid dream you remember it as it is happening just like real life memories.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 22 Nov 2013 02:14

HAGART wrote:The key difference is not just knowing it is a dream, but thinking consciously with a fully alert, waking mind with all your memories of who you are intact. And not being swept up by the plot of the dream. It's one subtle difference, that can just click sometimes for me, but is like night and day when comparing lucid dreams to non-lucid and you'll know it when you have one. It's like a self awareness switch get's flicked on.

Yes, it's the conscious, fully alert and awake mind which generates different memories. I make an effort to make conscious decisions which I then commit to my memory. For example, I would make a decision to pick up an object in a dream just for the purpose of evaluating how real the feeling of that object is, then tell myself what the conclusions of the evaluation are while in the dream. I will also commit to remembering it, saying to myself "I will remember how real this feels when I wake up." You really remember these kinds of things separately from the dream. Before I had lucid dreams I can't remember ever having memories of touching anything, but now after spending a lot of time touching things in lucid dreams I often have those memories. So now, in lucid and non-lucid dreams I have memories of how objects felt, but only when the dreams are lucid, do I remember making the decision to touch the object or having thoughts about how difficult it is to believe it;s a dream. One of the signs of being lucid is remembering the decisions you make in the dream. Those memories really stand out from the dream itself. So in a lucid dream there's the "you" part and the "dream" part as separate things. The more you exercise the "you" part, the easier it is to see those separate memories which you don't have in a non-lucid dream.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Nov 2013 02:53

lucidinthe sky wrote: only when the dreams are lucid, do I remember making the decision to touch the object or having thoughts about how difficult it is to believe it;s a dream. One of the signs of being lucid is remembering the decisions you make in the dream. Those memories really stand out from the dream itself. So in a lucid dream there's the "you" part and the "dream" part as separate things.

Yea, in a lucid dream you make conscious decisions and make choices. Not your subconscious, whimsical choice making, but an actual choice when you consider A and B and choose one, in real time as if it is happening now. (Or if you wait too long C happens beyond your will). But during that consideration you actually have an internal dialogue with yourself separate from the dream. There's you and then there's the environment and they are two separate things.

I've had a few vivid dreams in which I have an internal dialogue as it's happening, and although I didn't realize it was a dream, I consider them 'more' lucid than other dreams because of that choice making ability. The difference between lucid and regular dreams is more of a continuum on a spectrum. But there is a critical line that gets crossed and it's obvious when you cross it. (I'm talking about DILDs).

Another thing that happens in lucid dreams when you start getting a bunch, is you can't help but attempt some dream interpretation in the dream WHILE it's still happening. Things can occur that boggle your mind, but you are so alert you can't help but think internally about the meaning of what you are experiencing in real time as it happens.

In a way, to sum it up, regular dreams always happen in the past and we recall them, but lucid dreams happen in the present and we don't have to recall them. We just 'call' them as they are happening and they form different memories just like real life. (Which also get forgotten if we don't journal them).
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”