WILD Problem (Shudder)

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
flairina

WILD Problem (Shudder)

Postby flairina » 27 Dec 2011 23:50

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the sleep disorders area or here, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Okay, I've been trying to get a WILD for a while now (since my total LD count is only at two after TWO FREAKING YEARS), and I'm pretty sure I've almost gotten it a few times. But each time, before I could enter it, my body did this involuntary shudder, which killed it completely. Anyone have any clue why? It's driving me nuts.

On a side note, occasionally I'll notice my stomach becoming numb, but as soon as I notice it and breathe in that goes away. How do I fix this?

VordinGaming

Re: WILD Problem (Shudder)

Postby VordinGaming » 03 Jan 2012 03:24

this always happens to me to. My leg or foot will randomly jolt and this is what keeps me awake. I think this is our body telling us to wake up my sending a message to move something. I cant even ignore this jolt either because it reminds me that im still awake

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Jan 2012 09:50

are you lying on your back when you get the jolt?, if so you most likely have gone to sleep for an instant and woken again and the jolt is the awakening. Just lay there quietly and try again
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

houseofleaves

Postby houseofleaves » 04 Jan 2012 22:12

Do you feel a sensation of free falling or electric shock when you get these jerks? If so, the jerks are called hypnagogic myoclonic jerk, or "hypnic jerks." These hypnic jerks are common at the onset of sleep and most people experience them throughtout their lives.

As to why it happens, there seems to be a general consensus that while your muscles relax as your start to enter the lighter stages of sleep, your brain misinterprets this relaxation as free fall and your reflexes jerk you awake. There's also evidence that these jerks can be related to stress, anxiety, fatigue, or sleeping uncomfortably.

Hope this helps :]
"The madman is a waking dreamer." -Immanuel Kant

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Jan 2012 00:37

the ones that I get at times I dont think are related to sleep as I am fully aware and on the way to a wild. The jerks you mention are exactly as you say and I get them if I am relaxing and drift off to sleep while trying for a WILD. They will normally be when I am on my back.

The odd time I get a shock its like a massive belt of electricity and is in the head, the HI jerks seem to me more of a body sensation
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

flairina

Postby flairina » 09 Jan 2012 03:08

Peter wrote:are you lying on your back when you get the jolt?, if so you most likely have gone to sleep for an instant and woken again and the jolt is the awakening. Just lay there quietly and try again

Yes, I am always on my back. But I'm fairly sure that I never fell asleep, though I'll still eave that as a possibility...

houseofleaves wrote:Do you feel a sensation of free falling or electric shock when you get these jerks? If so, the jerks are called hypnagogic myoclonic jerk, or "hypnic jerks." These hypnic jerks are common at the onset of sleep and most people experience them throughtout their lives.

As to why it happens, there seems to be a general consensus that while your muscles relax as your start to enter the lighter stages of sleep, your brain misinterprets this relaxation as free fall and your reflexes jerk you awake. There's also evidence that these jerks can be related to stress, anxiety, fatigue, or sleeping uncomfortably.

Hope this helps :]

Well... not aways. Not for the kind of shudder I'm talking about. It'll literally come out of nowhere, and I'll spasm for no reason. It's annoying. I have experienced that feeling of free fall before though; those are weird but not nearly as distracting as the forced shake my body does. Is there any way to stop this?

Peter

Postby Peter » 09 Jan 2012 10:33

no way to stop it but could be wrong. This is a new realm and all these feelings you get are part of it so my way has been to accept it all as part of the process and adapt, learn to use them etc.

Dont try to fight each little oddity as they are what makes it so unique and are indicators of common experiance - enjoy

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 14 Jan 2012 20:23

Are you certain that there is actual movement, or is it just a sensation? I experienced this last night as I achieved my first WILD. I was falling into a normal dream state and having small awakenings. I'm certain of this because after each awakening jerk or jolt, I would move a finger slightly and/or try to become aware of the position of my limbs to check for movement(I kept them at my side for this reason). Every time I realized that it was only a sensation and that I had been dreaming. A good way to check is to attempt to recall your thoughts from the previous moments before. This can help tell you whether your thoughts were in dream state or conscious, as your dream thoughts will most likely fade quickly from recollection in any detail. When I achieved WILD after an hour or so, my lucid dream began immediately, straight from hypnagogic flashes to full dream state. One quick RC and I was lucid. =)
Truly amazing!
I hope this helps, but let me know if I can explain further.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”